Home

How do you handle late August trades? (Real life vs The Show)

This is a discussion on How do you handle late August trades? (Real life vs The Show) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Rookie

tsbraves's Arena

OVR: 4
How do you handle late August trades? (Real life vs The Show)

I'm one of those who likes to keep up with real team trades in my franchise. However, I've run into a big problem and wondering how others are handling this.

For example: The big Verlander trade that went down between Tigers and Astros on Aug. 31, 2017.

Using MLB transactions I saw this on Aug. 31. Of course in real life Verlander had already passed through trade waivers. Not so, in The Show because I didn't see that Verlander was put on trade waivers before Aug. 31. (at least not on the MLB.com transaction page)

Now, learning about the trade on Aug. 31 I have to put Verlander on trade waivers which puts the trade actually on Sept. 2nd or 3rd. As soon as I try to make the trade I get a message that says: "Play-off players cannot be traded after August 31." Well, that sucks.

So, I do a work around and just have the Tigers claim Dax Cameron and the other two minor leaguers and Astro's claim Justin V in a straight waiver deal. The players are claimed appropriately. So far so good.

But, does that mean that Justin Verlander cannot pitch for the Astro's in the play-offs because he wasn't on their roster before Sept. 1?

The same applies to the Justin Upton, Leonys Martin, Brandon Phillips, etc. trades all which occurred on Aug. 31.

If it is true the traded players can't be on the play-off roster...
Is there a work around?
Is there a way or site I need to go to in order to see when someone like Verlander was put on trade waivers to give me enough time in the SHOW to give me the right timing?

How do you handle this?

For me, this can be very frustrating!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: How do you handle late August trades? (Real life vs The Show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbraves
I'm one of those who likes to keep up with real team trades in my franchise. However, I've run into a big problem and wondering how others are handling this.

For example: The big Verlander trade that went down between Tigers and Astros on Aug. 31, 2017.

Using MLB transactions I saw this on Aug. 31. Of course in real life Verlander had already passed through trade waivers. Not so, in The Show because I didn't see that Verlander was put on trade waivers before Aug. 31. (at least not on the MLB.com transaction page)

Now, learning about the trade on Aug. 31 I have to put Verlander on trade waivers which puts the trade actually on Sept. 2nd or 3rd. As soon as I try to make the trade I get a message that says: "Play-off players cannot be traded after August 31." Well, that sucks.

So, I do a work around and just have the Tigers claim Dax Cameron and the other two minor leaguers and Astro's claim Justin V in a straight waiver deal. The players are claimed appropriately. So far so good.

But, does that mean that Justin Verlander cannot pitch for the Astro's in the play-offs because he wasn't on their roster before Sept. 1?

The same applies to the Justin Upton, Leonys Martin, Brandon Phillips, etc. trades all which occurred on Aug. 31.

If it is true the traded players can't be on the play-off roster...
Is there a work around?
Is there a way or site I need to go to in order to see when someone like Verlander was put on trade waivers to give me enough time in the SHOW to give me the right timing?

How do you handle this?

For me, this can be very frustrating!
Yes it would mean that Verlander (or any other post Sept 1 waiver trade ) would not pitch on the playoff roster. i do the same thing you are doing within reason (so for example, AZ had a stacked outfield, and I sent JD Martinez to Toronto instead). I am usually one to several weeks behind the real MLB schedule, so I KNOW that there are last minute deals and do them in my franchise earlier on the 'calendar' than the actual MLB transaction date. Often we'll see there is a signing and press releases in the news, but when you look at the MLB transactions, you may not see that for a week or so later. So I use MLB transactions as a guide and a heads up, but I plan to make the moves early enough to get them in before the trade deadline and the waiver trade deadline in my game, and adjust the MLB rosters on Aug 31 (so I do my trades before this) to maximize the number of Playoff eligible players I can have (until The Show gets playoff eligibility correct).

Similarly in the off season I spend some time editing the names and appearances of the drafted college and high school kids and that allows me to see what real players are offered qualifying offers, which are not resigned, etc then move myself into the signing and free agency period, playing catch up, but also being able to find the right trade materials and player signings as best as I can.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Rookie

tsbraves's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
Yes it would mean that Verlander (or any other post Sept 1 waiver trade ) would not pitch on the playoff roster. i do the same thing you are doing within reason (so for example, AZ had a stacked outfield, and I sent JD Martinez to Toronto instead). I am usually one to several weeks behind the real MLB schedule, so I KNOW that there are last minute deals and do them in my franchise earlier on the 'calendar' than the actual MLB transaction date. Often we'll see there is a signing and press releases in the news, but when you look at the MLB transactions, you may not see that for a week or so later. So I use MLB transactions as a guide and a heads up, but I plan to make the moves early enough to get them in before the trade deadline and the waiver trade deadline in my game, and adjust the MLB rosters on Aug 31 (so I do my trades before this) to maximize the number of Playoff eligible players I can have (until The Show gets playoff eligibility correct).

Similarly in the off season I spend some time editing the names and appearances of the drafted college and high school kids and that allows me to see what real players are offered qualifying offers, which are not resigned, etc then move myself into the signing and free agency period, playing catch up, but also being able to find the right trade materials and player signings as best as I can.
Thanks. I wonder if there is a way for the DEVS to put a "window" of sorts so that those of us who like to keep up with each team as it happens could do so?
You said you use MLB transactions as a guide. Do you know or can recommend a site that would have had those players listed as on "trade waivers" before they are traded?
Old 01-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbraves
Thanks. I wonder if there is a way for the DEVS to put a "window" of sorts so that those of us who like to keep up with each team as it happens could do so?
You said you use MLB transactions as a guide. Do you know or can recommend a site that would have had those players listed as on "trade waivers" before they are traded?
That I don't know of (trade waiver cleared). I recall many many many years ago a GM had indicated players get put on the waiver wire all the time and they just get pulled back so perhaps this is too difficult to track via the standard places we'd look (MLB.com, ESPN, etc). I think this year was the first time I actually took all the 'rumor mill' names that the pundits thought would be traded by end of August and put them through so I wouldn't end up in the situation of trying to clear waivers then have Aug 31 pass.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

OVR: 0

I sometimes get the 'budget constraints trade can't happen'

So I then just pass the player through waivers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #6
Rookie

tsbraves's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
That I don't know of (trade waiver cleared). I recall many many many years ago a GM had indicated players get put on the waiver wire all the time and they just get pulled back so perhaps this is too difficult to track via the standard places we'd look (MLB.com, ESPN, etc). I think this year was the first time I actually took all the 'rumor mill' names that the pundits thought would be traded by end of August and put them through so I wouldn't end up in the situation of trying to clear waivers then have Aug 31 pass.
That's a great way to do it Coach. Unfortunately it doesn't help me now but it is a lesson learned for 2018. That method still won't catch those surprise trades (like Leonys Martin) but it would catch a lot of them.

The other thing and best way to keep this from happening is to play "behind" a week or so like you suggested earlier and just make sure to seek out different sources for all the waiver deals. Thanks for your help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »