Home

MLB The Show 18 Twitch Stream - Gameplay & AI, Legend Vladimir Guerrero Announced

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Twitch Stream - Gameplay & AI, Legend Vladimir Guerrero Announced within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #49
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB The Show 18 Twitch Stream Starting Now - Gameplay & AI

*Tagging and catcher urgency have been improved. It would be nice if the range of animations available are related to the attributes of the player. If all catchers can do these things perfectly, then it makes little difference who you use.

*I especially like what the improved tagging "engine" will do for plays at home plate. Up until now, close plays have always gone to the runner because he slides headfirst around the catcher's errant/late swipe tag. Remains to be seen if the advantage now shifts to the catcher or, even better, if it's balanced to some out/some safe at home.

*You can tell this stream was a direct response to a lot of the complaints dealing with online play and hitting. They hammered at exploits in online play. They tackled the ball in the dirt problem, the taking random extra bases problem, and addressed people who feel hitting is "broken" because they don't always get the same result with the same "good" timing swing feedback. They were quite clear that it depends on the physics, handedness of the pitcher, batter attributes, timing, placement of the PCI, plus some randomness etc.

*Seems like they "cracked the code" with the ball physics once again. Jeff McArthur mentioned his audit turned up some issues with hit distances on fly balls and things are now improved. Aaron Judge seemed quite pleased with Jeff's work. Seeing more realistic HR distances and exit velocities so far.

*The "meh" pitching effort is still evident in some of the pitching animations. Where it's a lazy backswing and/or doesn't seem to have much force coming forward. The Astros pitcher animation looked quite limp during the Maeda at-bat near the end of the stream.

*The picture that we were looking at as either a plane or bus that might indicate a deeper front office in Franchise Mode...they said this image was exclusively for RTTS. In general, there was a lot of teasing info for RTTS and complete silence on Franchise Mode. This seems unfortunate. Probably means that Franchise Mode wasn't a development focus this year.

*Ramone better watch his back, lol. The guy (Stephen Hass) who stood in for him during the stream did a nice job. He kept them moving along and also summarized info a few times throughout the stream. Seemed to be prepared and to know what they had time to talk about. There's not much to complain about with the content of this stream other than maybe they rewound the tagging animations and replayed them a bit liberally.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #50
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
But the thing that goe me the most excited was when Jeff joined the couch and discussed the physics. And when they showed that video of Judge in the room where they showed his exact same hit/homerun in the game as he hit in real life....that folks was freaking amazing!!! I loved hearing that they tuned the physics to get more in tune with real life, as I stated last year the hitting felt a bit unbalanced. But it's hard to not be excited when they show that video and something as minute as the handedness of the pitcher changes how a ball spins/comes off the bat and where it lands.....that is freaking phenomenal!!

Yeah I thought that was really cool as well. Amazing the detail to the ball physics they are implementing into a video game.

Fun fact: My wife and I were on vacation in NYC and went to that game they were showing Judge’s HR in the studio. It was the July 4th game and I was stuck in line getting a hot dog and beer for my wife when he hit that home run! Smh lol
Also, the Blue Jays were staying in the same hotel as we were and I ran into Tulo in the lobby one morning and then I was in the elevator with Pillar the next morning. Pretty cool trip!

And back on topic....Thanks to the devs for putting the player position back in the batter walk up. Loving how this year’s game is looking!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18 Twitch Stream - Gameplay & AI, Legend Vladimir Guerrero Announced

Someone mentioned it another thread, but I really hope they get rid of the white frames along the panels in the Yankee Stadium outfield restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 PM   #52
Rookie

RXGammer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
Springer has his beard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Operation Sports mobile app

Yes i noticed he looks great now

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-08-2018, 11:19 PM   #53
Rookie

Re: MLB The Show 18 Twitch Stream - Gameplay & AI, Legend Vladimir Guerrero Announced

So That picture of the players on the bus is RTTS . So far alot of Tidbits and expectations for RTTS and Diamond Dynasty. As a hardcore franchise player offline i do hope we get something newwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Going to finish watching the stream now
Old 02-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #54
Rookie

Patsguy49's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
Orange Numbers on Armband and Mizuno BG
God, I hope they added Mizuno fielding gloves as well. The only thing left that’ll make this the best baseball game ever for me (which it’s shaping up to be anyway) will be if they reintroduce “Big Papi” back in as a legend. My Red Sox franchise just felt empty last year without Ortiz there.

Boston Red Sox
9x World Series Champions

Last edited by Patsguy49; 02-08-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 PM   #55
Rookie

How come everything is based off Online play? What about offline?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #56
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike0077
How come everything is based off Online play? What about offline?
That's probably where they got most of their feedback/issues. All of those things were addressed for offline play as well, though. It's not like the stream we watched was of online play.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »