Home

Directional Hitting - MLB The Show 18

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting - MLB The Show 18 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #17
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Directional Hitting - MLB The Show 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown119
Hi, I’ve always used pure analog before, but after reading these comments, I figured I would give DH a try.

I have some questions about directional hitting.

Am I supposed to “track” the pitch and aim the left stick to where the pitch is located (like zone hitting) or is this purely “I want to hit it to the right side, so I’ll press towards the right even before the pitch is made” type of mode.

I’m not sure which it is.

While taking BP, the PCI does not move even if I use the left stick far to one side.

If it is purely a “wishful hitting” regardless of the pitch location, then I don’t understand the mode or its advantages.

It would make sense that if you read the pitch well, you’d be able to go with the pitch and be successful. But, the PCI never moved.

Some clarification would be nice from some people who play with this mode.

Thanks
Directional hitting isn't about tracking the ball. Each direction has chosen has minor buffs and debuffs. Think of it like a mode where there is expanded control and choice beyond the power, normal, contact system.

I've already linked it before in the thread, but I've written up a large in depth guide to directional hitting. I'll link it in this post as well for convenience.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ing-guide.html

Be aware that the guide was written out and edited over a long time. I'm confident in most of the information but there may be a few inconsistencies or contradictions in the thread. Feel free to post in there if you have any further questions.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 02-20-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #18
Pro

vertman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Directional hitting isn't about tracking the ball. Each direction has chosen has minor buffs and debuffs. Think of it like a mode where there is expanded control and choice beyond the power, normal, contact system.

I've already linked it before in the thread, but I've written up a large in depth guide to directional hitting. I'll link it in this post as well for convenience.

Be aware that the guide was written out and edited over a long time. I'm confident in most of the information but there may be a few inconsistencies or contradictions in the thread. Feel free to post in there if you have any further questions.
I always understood DH as a timings and player ratings based hitting mechanic. The directional aspect of it I thought had to do with hitting a pitch the other way in situations such as having a man on first and a right handed hitter try to take the pitch the other way and hit it in the hole between first and second because the first baseman was holding the runner or having a man on third with less than 2 outs and pressing up on the right stick to hit a fly ball to the outfield to get him in. You can definitely take and outside pitch the other way without pushing your stick that way if your timing is correct or an inside pitch you can pull in the same fashion without moving the stick. That represents real hitting in my opinion , moving the pci around to try and produce those outcomes is not realistic which is why I turn off the pci all together.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #19
Pro

vertman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind

Just read your directional hitting guide. Very informative, nice job. I do not use it like you do but more like Armor does in situational hitting. Feels more natural that way to me.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #20
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

So I have heard 0 about directional hitting this year, and how the all new hitting mechanics will affect it. It’s gotten me concerned that it has been removed. I know the team doesn’t normally remove options, but still I’m a little concerned. Has anyone heard anything about it this year?
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
Atlanta Black Sox

xNobleEaglex's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
So I have heard 0 about directional hitting this year, and how the all new hitting mechanics will affect it. It’s gotten me concerned that it has been removed. I know the team doesn’t normally remove options, but still I’m a little concerned. Has anyone heard anything about it this year?
They didn't remove it for 18. I believe in one of the streams they said that the PCI for directional has been "tuned", but they didn't go into a deep dive of it like they did with the Zone PCI.

PSN: xNobleEaglex
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #22
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
The first game spot videos where Ramone was showing off game play, he uses directional in that video. So it is still in there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »