Home

MLB Recruits

This is a discussion on MLB Recruits within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
Rookie

baseball_fever's Arena

OVR: 0
MLB Recruits

Okay so as we all know, the draft/scouting is still quite poor and stale in franchise mode. So for a few months I have been trying to think of a cool/unique idea in implementing recruiting into The Show. But, I just can't quite come up with the perfect way to do it. It would of course all have to be manually done. But I feel like there has to be a good idea out there somewhere.

Recruiting was most of our favourite part of the NCAA video games. And they stripped us of that. Soo maybe we can come up with an idea here together?

I also change the name of every single player in the drafts and change each of their appearances.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Jedi Master

Rob_NYY's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: MLB Recruits

I hope this is something they revamp in Franchise mode. I tried really hard to pay attention to scouting, but something about it just doesn't hook me in. I target guys and scout them, then the draft comes and I can't even remember who I scouted, who I was most interested in, etc. I known there are screens which show you who you've scouted, but it's basically just numbers and something about it just doesn't seem to click with me. Maybe if I had a visual representation of the players, instead of just names.

Or maybe let us select 20-30 guys who we've scouted and then have them play a few simulated games (like the showcase games in RTTS) and then have our scouts send detailed scouting reports on them along with the results.

For example, a pitcher will have the report from the scout look something like:

==============================================
Name: Joe Smith
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 185lbs

Pitching Repertoire
4SFB - 94-96 MPH | Exceptional Control | Below Average Movement
SLDR - 86-88 MPH | Average Control | Above Average Movement
SPLT - 85-97 MPH | Below Average Control | Below Average Movement
Chances of developing 4th pitch: 35% (When he's drafted, he will magically have a 4th pitch or not, depending on the %)

Showcase Results
Game 1: 6.1 IP | 5 Hits | 2 Runs | 6 Ks | 3 BB
Game 2: 4.2 IP | 7 Hits | 4 Runs | 6 Ks | 1 BB

Scouting Report
- Started strong, faded towards the latter innings. May gain stamina as he grows into his body.
- Best pitch is an exceptional 4-seam Fastball which is MLB quality already. May gain velocity as he grows.
- Secondary pitches are below average. Needs development.

Scout's Opinion: Joe Smith has the potential to develop into a mid-rotation starter. However, lack of stamina may result in him benefiting from a move to the bullpen.
==============================================

Something like that. Similar reports for position players. Also include the player model so we can see the player which I somehow feel would make him seem like an actual player and not just numbers and words on a report.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB Recruits

I don't really think we need to come up with a cool/unique idea for this; rather, this area just needs to be based more closely on how it works in real life. This ties in with the need to expand the front office and financial system. Picks should all have an estimated slot value (hard to imagine that draft picks don't even have a dollar value associated with them in this game). In this day and age. There should be over/under slot politics. Different scouts should be able to view a player to form a consensus or disagree with each other. The whole deciding to go to college and dropping out of the draft should be made more explicit than a player just, poof, disappearing from the pool. With the right signing bonus, you should be able to entice these players to not go to college. You should be able to leak damaging medical info about the size of so and so's UCL etc.

More background info and points of differentiation:

*injury prone
*funky delivery/max effort/likely reliever
*destroyed the Cape Cod League/carried college team to Omaha
*very projectable, or maxed out physically
*present and future grades on tools, especially pitch types (I think there was something like this in '17)
*was a college SS, but will be drafted as a 2B or 3B
*potential 2-way player (McKay, Greene)
*college football player so very raw, but high upside after focusing on baseball

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »