Home

Instant Replay at every base

This is a discussion on Instant Replay at every base within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #17
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Instant Replay at every base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belkbuzze
I don’t get why it’s that much difficult... I’m no coder either so take it with a grain of salt!

But, shouldn’t it be as easy as adding a simple layer over miss calls?

I guess missed calls is, logically, something like :

If delta between ball in glove/foot on bag is smaller than x, then divide umpire skill (if they have variable skill) by delta, result is the probability of a missed call.

Replay is extremely easy. On delta lower than z, enable challenging the play. If missed call, reverse, if not, stand.

What I am not understanding?
First base is the most straight foward situation in regards to a challenge. The other bases around the diamond are way more dynamic. Most of those involve slides and tags. Up until now the tagging in the show was very suspect, actually we still need to see it in action for a while to see how accurate it really is. With all the different ways to slide and tag at a base you would have to build inaccuracy into the system which i am sure is not as easy as you are making it to be.

Ultimately I would think they would have to weigh if entering it in the game is worth the resources invested. If that was the sole game play improvement one year would that please the masses? I know I would not be thrilled.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
Rookie

IamAdderlyn's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Ultimately I would think they would have to weigh if entering it in the game is worth the resources invested. If that was the sole game play improvement one year would that please the masses? I know I would not be thrilled.
I understand and respect that but, come on, the replays has become such important right now. If next year they decide to expand the replays system and let us argue calls (ask for the replay manually) I'd more than happy.

Sent from my LG-H872PR using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #19
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAdderlyn
I understand and respect that but, come on, the replays has become such important right now. If next year they decide to expand the replays system and let us argue calls (ask for the replay manually) I'd more than happy.

Sent from my LG-H872PR using Tapatalk
It might be important in the real MLB to correct the human element but in the video game side we really don't need it as we can set it to perfect calls. I can see people wanting it for the entertainment factor but to get an accurate result we don't.

Last edited by nemesis04; 02-18-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

That is all on SDS for not finishing the replay system and updating when changes are made by MLB. (even if they are a year late). Why not hold them accountable instead of 'lets just take it out attitude'.

What is going to happen with the 'pace of play' changes in future years. We can just say, it is to hard for SDS to code and we will have another baseball gamplay feature missing. Why stop there..... we have gameplay cut down to the bones with shortened foul balls, homerun animations, ballpark views etc.

Now we are talking about 3 inning baseball games and just play a 'phase' of franchise!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
It might be important in the real MLB to correct the human element but in the video game side we really don't need it as we can set it to perfect calls. I can see people wanting it for the entertainment factor but to get an accurate result we don't.
Yeah, I'd want it more for the entertainment factor, to even more closely resemble real life. I'd also want instant replay to get it wrong occasionally like IRL, maybe something like once every 20-25 times (4-5%). But even then we dont really need that. There are too many other things I'd personally want first.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #22
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFBUC
That is all on SDS for not finishing the replay system and updating when changes are made by MLB. (even if they are a year late). Why not hold them accountable instead of 'lets just take it out attitude'.

What is going to happen with the 'pace of play' changes in future years. We can just say, it is to hard for SDS to code and we will have another baseball gamplay feature missing. Why stop there..... we have gameplay cut down to the bones with shortened foul balls, homerun animations, ballpark views etc.

Now we are talking about 3 inning baseball games and just play a 'phase' of franchise!
So you would be ok with them taking an entire development cycle and doing nothing but expanding the replay/challenge system?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #23
Rookie

UNIT180's Arena

OVR: 0

I think it is way more important then a rain delay cut scene which in my opinion is smoke and mirrors in its current form. Replay comes with strategy, and can actually affect the outcome of a game. challenges adds another dimension to game play unlike a rain delay cut scene.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT180
I think it is way more important then a rain delay cut scene which in my opinion is smoke and mirrors in its current form. Replay comes with strategy, and can actually affect the outcome of a game. challenges adds another dimension to game play unlike a rain delay cut scene.
Did they already say rain delays wont affect pitcher stamina?

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »