Home

MLB The Show 18 Video - Mark DeRosa Joins Commentary Team with Improved Presentation

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Video - Mark DeRosa Joins Commentary Team with Improved Presentation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #17
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Gamestop Monday #2: Presentation

Disappointing as usual. The one unique voice they had that sounded the most realistic out of the 3 in terms of video game sound to real life, they replace with another dull/monotone styled in game voice.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 11

harold was the best part about the commentary in the show. i am very surprised he's gone.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #19
Pro

rkocjay's Arena

OVR: 0

I literally think this game will be his first time color commentating. They said in the video he makes his debut

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

U mad Bro!!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

I'm thinking the decision to replace Harold was not out of not wanting him anymore. I feel like the new method for recording audio may have been more intensive and required more hours of work than Harold may have been able to commit to with his busy schedule. So instead they decide to try out DeRosa, who doesn't have a whole lot else going on at the moment, and maybe he saw this as an opportunity to break into the color-commentary business. I always liked him on MLB Tonight, he has a lot of energy but doesn't say as many of those head scratching things Harold is known for, and I think he'll be a fine replacement for Harold.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #21
MVP

I think if they would just try making OSD more dynamic and show things like WAR and other analytic stats it would probably make the presentation much better instead of trying to find the holy grail 3rd man in the booth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #22
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

That video honestly took the wind out of my sails a bit. I respect they got everyone in the booth together and are trying to make things more dynamic, but I would have preferred Reynolds sticking around in that context (If we're dropping anyone, I'd pick Plesac).

As was mentioned, it was likely logistics over simply excluding Harold, but it's a bit disappointing nonetheless as the only thing wrong with HR last year was a lack of line variety. His voice flowed better than anyone, IMO.

That said, I'm happy for the change in approach, at least, and I'll wait for the dev breakdown before passing any real judgement.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #23
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Hopefully this time Matt is recording without a cold.

I already said in the other thread, but I was kind of turned away by the similar sounding voices of Steve Lyons and Eric Karros, and the ilk of DeRo sounding somewhat similar to Plesac removes some of the versatility aspect you'd expect in the booth. Though I believe you'll heard Mark talk more about the hitting and Dan talk about the pitching.

The "same booth" stuff sounds good, but again the lines are just going to be so long that the conversations will get repetitive rather quickly. Maybe not much we can ever do there though. I think as long as the situations are dynamic enough it won't be too bad (so if they talk about how we have been hot recently, as long as it's because we have been then I'll be good with it).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #24
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

Another small thing I've noticed in videos so far that I've really liked, regarding crowd logic, is that there seems to be a much more realistic dispersal of fans in lower-attendance games. In previous years, the crowd would basically just be evenly distributed in each section, and that would result in a bunch of fans essentially just sitting by themselves. But that's not realistic. People go to games in groups and the new logic seems to incorporate that by clumping the remaining fans together so no one is (or very few people are) just sitting by themselves. This makes me incredibly happy because it's something that has always irked me about the crowd in the past, but I never thought it was something that would actually be considered to improve. Good stuff!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »