Home

Would you support DLC Classic Stadiums

This is a discussion on Would you support DLC Classic Stadiums within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #33
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Would you support DLC Classic Stadiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
Thats all very informative, so thank you. So if its life +70, then the celebs who passed away in the late 40s are now public domain? There would certainly be some former ballplayers who would fall into that. And as time moves forward into those who died in the 50s and 60s, a whole lot more will soon then.

And as someone who was born in late 1977, its an interesting and easy break for me to remember in the music section, lol. Anything in my lifetime has different rules than those from before I was born.
Life+70 is just the copyright on created works (music, literature, etc). No idea how something like likeness would apply.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #34
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
Thats all very informative, so thank you. So if its life +70, then the celebs who passed away in the late 40s are now public domain? There would certainly be some former ballplayers who would fall into that. And as time moves forward into those who died in the 50s and 60s, a whole lot more will soon then.

And as someone who was born in late 1977, its an interesting and easy break for me to remember in the music section, lol. Anything in my lifetime has different rules than those from before I was born.
I am honestly not sure how it fully works in that regard. I am not a patent/copyright lawyer, I just know some of the basics through the music industry, as well as starting my own corporation, and reading up on some things. But I would imagine with how it is worded, that there is an expiration, and therefore can be used. But again, there could be other factors at play as well with royalties, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Life+70 is just the copyright on created works (music, literature, etc). No idea how something like likeness would apply.
In the United States is called 'Right to Publicity' or 'Personality Rights'... they fall under state laws. Most of the state laws are the same or very similar to California's 'Celebrity Rights Act' which is Life + 70 years, and can be handed down to family (estate).

Here is the list of all states that recognize this right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person...s_of_publicity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...ies_Rights_Act

The 'Lanham Act' is what protects federally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanham_Act

Like I said, it is complex and sticky, and not as lenient as it used to be in the 'wild west' of sport games in the 90's. Most do not even realize the complexity of it all, so a lot went unnoticed, then the Jim Brown and NCAA cases happened, and it changed the landscape for developers to now err on the side of caution and just do it proper. But as you can see, there is a LOT to it, which requires a lot of legal research. So it is not as simple as some think. And this is all before the negotiation stage to the estate or ex-player. I do not envy that role in game development, lol.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 03-02-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #35
MVP

johnnyg83's Arena

OVR: 9

I'd buy them all: Comiskey, Tiger, KC and Baltimore Memorial, Ebbets (I know), Baker Bowl, Seal Stadium, Colt Stadium, Candlestick, Cleveland Municipal, Buffalo War Memorial (where a lot of "The Natural" was shot, Jack Murphy, RFK, Metropolitan Stadium (Minnesota, this was in MVP at some point and I loved it), Mile High ...

I play every franchise game ... so variety is the spice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #36
Rookie

beedl001's Arena

OVR: 3

I would love the spring training parks in Florida and Arizona plus some of the minor league parks at the AA and AAA level. I would definitely pay for that.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #37
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23

Of course I want a create-a-stadium feature but if they won't give us that then I'd love them to show some creativity like All Star Baseball 05 did. I mean watch these videos, along with the classics ones I shared in my original post to start this thread. I had forgotten how much All Star packed into 05 (most likely because MVP was the superior title that year in terms of gameplay.)

Also, I do miss the golden age of baseball games where we got several MLB games in a year. I use to buy at least two of them because I loved baseball that much. ASB 05 even had a cool expansion mode feature as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHbcpMMschc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FDYaZWYQM
Old 03-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 0

I probably wouldn't buy classic stadium DLC but I'd buy create a stadium DLC if it's good.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #39
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I would absolutely buy Classic Stadium content.....I would also buy new classic uniform packs...
Old 03-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #40
MVP

Lisac's Arena

OVR: 0

I would just support more realistic Minor League Stadiums as there are some really nice ones out there.
And if they made like 10 classic stadiums and sold them for 2.99 a piece id be ok with that as long as we could pick the Stadium/Stadiums of our choice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »