Home

Stamina Progression

This is a discussion on Stamina Progression within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Stamina Progression

Hi All,

MLB 17 is the first I've bought since 13, and the biggest change I noticed is that pitcher stamina does not progress at all! I understand not being able to upgrade speed, but young pitchers in real life are stretched out way more than they were as 18-22 year olds.

It's just frustrating that a guy like Josh Hader's stamina can never get to 70 and consequently no 200 inning seasons.

Tbh, when you sim a bunch of seasons like I do the progression is all over the place and confusing (we all know about the ultra-regression issues for years). I like how there are higher ranges of outcomes for player potential, but I miss the emails that tell you when potential increases or decreases.

But anyway, is the stamina thing a bug or a design choice?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Stamina Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGIY94
Hi All,

MLB 17 is the first I've bought since 13, and the biggest change I noticed is that pitcher stamina does not progress at all! I understand not being able to upgrade speed, but young pitchers in real life are stretched out way more than they were as 18-22 year olds.

It's just frustrating that a guy like Josh Hader's stamina can never get to 70 and consequently no 200 inning seasons.

Tbh, when you sim a bunch of seasons like I do the progression is all over the place and confusing (we all know about the ultra-regression issues for years). I like how there are higher ranges of outcomes for player potential, but I miss the emails that tell you when potential increases or decreases.

It is a design choice. I edit stamina personally based on potential:

A = 85 or above
B = 80-84
C = 75-79
D = 70-74
F = 69 or below

Consequently I'll also adjust lower stamina guys to be relievers at times, spot starters. There really isn't a concrete formula that I follow, just how I would possibly handle things if I was managing that organization.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Hi All,

Progression has changed and not for the better. Unfortunately with only one developer assigned to franchise I wouldn't look for improvement any time soon. I guess we will find out either next week in the franchise stream or when the game is released.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
It is a design choice. I edit stamina personally based on potential:

A = 85 or above
B = 80-84
C = 75-79
D = 70-74
F = 69 or below

Consequently I'll also adjust lower stamina guys to be relievers at times, spot starters. There really isn't a concrete formula that I follow, just how I would possibly handle things if I was managing that organization.
I admire your enthusiasm, but you shouldn't have to go through that. It would be one thing if some prospects started out with high stamina ratings, but they're usually so low compared to the real players. It's like stamina is meant to be improved but just...can't.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
I admire your enthusiasm, but you shouldn't have to go through that. It would be one thing if some prospects started out with high stamina ratings, but they're usually so low compared to the real players. It's like stamina is meant to be improved but just...can't.
I wish that stamina progressed and that starters had higher stamina, but in the meantime I'll just use my unscientific formula...

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
Banned

It's an annoyance, but, the MLB game is going in that direction anyways. There's just too many hard throwing effective guys in bullpens these days and too many numbers to suggest that going through the batting order more 2-3 times with a starter is in most cases not the optimal use of your staff.

I'd even like to see a team try to start one of your elite relievers off for the first inning or maybe the first couple of innings, then bring in a more conventional starter type to get you through the middle innings, and then turn it over to your setup guy/closer. It might give you a better opportunity to score first, as such increasing your chances of winning and dictating the pace of the game.

If you look at it with more of a contemporary view or view moving forward on what teams could start to do, rather than just conventional view of what a SP is supposed to be able to do, it's less of an issue I think.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #7
MVP

dran1984's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellred
It's an annoyance, but, the MLB game is going in that direction anyways. There's just too many hard throwing effective guys in bullpens these days and too many numbers to suggest that going through the batting order more 2-3 times with a starter is in most cases not the optimal use of your staff.

I'd even like to see a team try to start one of your elite relievers off for the first inning or maybe the first couple of innings, then bring in a more conventional starter type to get you through the middle innings, and then turn it over to your setup guy/closer. It might give you a better opportunity to score first, as such increasing your chances of winning and dictating the pace of the game.

If you look at it with more of a contemporary view or view moving forward on what teams could start to do, rather than just conventional view of what a SP is supposed to be able to do, it's less of an issue I think.
Who are you? Brian Kenny?

#Bullpening
Old 03-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dran1984
Who are you? Brian Kenny?

#Bullpening
I could be any of the managers for any of the playoff teams last year. Did you watch?

Anyways, bullpening engaged.

Last edited by wellred; 03-08-2018 at 10:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »