Home

Microtransactions, SCEA, and RTTS.

This is a discussion on Microtransactions, SCEA, and RTTS. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #25
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Microtransactions, SCEA, and RTTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
who am I exactly insulting on here???
Microtransactions might not be something you want to spend but those that do don't necessarily lack a brain as you say. The cost of games (base cost) are cheaper than they have been on over 2 decades. Microtransactions provide a means to generate revenue for the gaming companies without having to pass that cost off to every consumer, only the ones who don't mind spending on microtransactions. Some take it to a bad point, like metal gear, but most you are able to play and have a similiar experience than someone who does not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Operation Sports mobile app

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #26
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
Microtransactions might not be something you want to spend but those that do don't necessarily lack a brain as you say. The cost of games (base cost) are cheaper than they have been on over 2 decades. Microtransactions provide a means to generate revenue for the gaming companies without having to pass that cost off to every consumer, only the ones who don't mind spending on microtransactions. Some take it to a bad point, like metal gear, but most you are able to play and have a similiar experience than someone who does not.

I know games are $60 there brand new but they are about $100 here brand new. and you have to shop around to get them at about $79. not to mention to be a PS now member to be able to get online play out of games thrown in.

if your gonna base your game around MS (IE what EA did with star wards battlefront) then it should not be full price, that is why people are upset.

the people without a brain I refer to are the ones that spend Hundreds of dollars on them instead of grinding. and I have read stories of these people.

This MS problem is only to get worse over time. and soon we will be having to pay to unlock say Tom Brady or Mike Trout in franchise modes.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #27
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I know games are $60 there brand new but they are about $100 here brand new. and you have to shop around to get them at about $79

if your gonna base your game around MS (IE what EA did with star wards battlefront) then it should not be full price, that is why people are upset.

the people without a brain I refer to are the ones that spend Hundreds of dollars on them instead of grinding. and I have read stories of these people.

This MS problem is only to get worse over time. and soon we will be having to pay to unlock say Tom Brady or Mike Trout in franchise modes.
They are $100 there for entirely different reasons having anything to do with the pricing from the developer

Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #28
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Ok I guess we will disagree on all of this.

But let me applaud SDS for taking them out. they can stay in DD I just find that as a bonus added on mode, where they can make their revenue on.

As for the OP. if they kept them in and made us pay to have a player at 99 overall.. there would ridiculous backlash on that. It would be shady as hell. forcing people to pay for something they once had for free.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:11 AM   #29
MVP

zello144's Arena

So now that Microtransactions are out of the mode can that open up an opportunity to use the RTTS money we earn from our contracts for something useful? Maybe we can use it to purchase more drills or a training program to help stop stats from declining.

For years that money has been pretty much useless and there was no point to signing a $20 Million contract. This would give us a reason to make the money worth something in RTTS and make Free agency interesting do we go to the highest bidder or to a contender? Stay loyal to a team for a discount or chase the money.

The same with the Agent that they introduced last year he's been pretty much useless. If they made the Agent matter more we could fire our agent and get a Scott Boras type Agent who holds out til the last minute or an Agent that may not get you the most money but will keep you on a MLB roster.

Last edited by zello144; 03-15-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

I would hope no one would stand for that level of nonsense.

They would not go that far because that's just asking to get all sorts of scrutiny and negative attention.

Farthest I could see would be having to pay to unlock an extra mode...like if you could do league expansion, but you would have to pay $4.99 to unlock it an "upgrade" your franchise.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I assume most of us on here know and understand how big of a problem microtransactions have gotten in the video game community. I'll be the first one to stand up and say how they often negatively affect video games and are hurting the creative process in many big, open-world triple-A type games. And SCEA has always seemed to pride itself on being in touch with the community and catering to what its fans want. However, I think what they're doing in MLB 18 is a little bit misguided and definitely unnecessary.

Now let me preface this with the statement that I have absolutely zero interest in Diamond Dynasty. Never have, never will. I play franchise primarily and get into Road to The Show some as well. Which are both "offline," modes basically. The heart of the issue with microtransactions in video games is the pay-to-win scenario that is created by them. This was most evident in Battlefront II last year in which EA got tremendous backlash for and eventually pulled it prior to launch. Now, I have no idea if SCEA is keeping microtransaction in Diamond Dynasty, I'm assuming they are. Which, if that's the case, that's where it's extremely misguided. If you can just buy packs until you eventually get the players you want, that, in a nutshell becomes pay-to-win just the same way that loot boxes in other games do the same thing.

But that's not really what I'm going to, "complain," about here. I'm complaining about microtransactions being taken out of Road to The Show, which is crazy that I'd ever complain about microtransactions being taken out of a game because I generally hate them.

However, this is the one game where I actually purchase them. They talked in the Road to The Show stream about how no one ever has been or ever will be a 99 in everything. And that's probably true. However, if I want to create a guy that's 99 in everything, I should be able to, especially in a single player mode where it affects no one else. I know some will say, "just put it on rookie and hit 100 home runs a year," but I don't like how lower difficulties affect other areas of the game like the way the CPU pitches.

Ultimately I'm just saying that I always liked to play Road to The Show with a super-young phenom that was maxed out from year one. It was fun to me and now I can't do that. It's by no means the end of the world and I basically spend 80% of my time on the game in franchise anyway. But I always had fun with Road to The Show playing it in this manner. It just doesn't make any sense to not allow players to purchase training points in an offline mode yet allow them to buy packs in an online mode where things are competitive against other human players. No one would have said a word about EA's microtransactions if they were simply skins, uniforms, armor, etc. If people want to spend money of things that are just visual, whatever. But the problem comes when it affects progression, and therefore sets up a pay-to-win experience.

It seems ultimately that SCEA is trying to look like the good guys by taking away the "evil," mictrotransactions but they're doing it in a mode that no one cares whether they are in or not. Is anyone upset that I maxed out my Road to The Show player last year when he was 18-years old? No, because a) it didn't affect anyone's experience with their game and b) no one even knew I did until I just posted it. If SCEA is keeping microtransactions out of Diamond Dynasty I'll commend them. But taking them out of Road to The Show and leaving them in Diamond Dynasty is really just a ploy to look good by, "taking out microtransactions," at a time when companies have been vilified for using them.... while actually leaving them in where it makes them the most money.
While I had no interest in creating a "super player" I do get where you're coming from. I always enjoyed RTTS, even though it had micro transactions. Because it was easy (and fun) to just ignore them and build my RTTS player up normally.

Micro transactions aren't inherently bad just by existing. Personally I don't think micro transactions are a problem unless they fall into one of the following two categories:

1. It is impossible to avoid their impact in competitive or online play.
2. They are the only realistic way to enjoy and succeed in a particular mode (like RTTS).

For a good example of #2, I remember a few years ago in NBA 2k My player mode I spent a couple years playing games over and over and still never even got my player to the level of "decent". His skills were so bad he was overmatched in NBA games. And he was so overmatched in NBA games that I never got many points per game, to improve. It was an endless cycle that eventually led to me selling the game and not returning to the franchise at all.

The only way I could have ever gotten my player to a fun level of talent was by spending money on points.

Anyway, I don't think anything in The Show has ever fallen into either of the above 2 points, not ever.. It seems like they kind of overreacted or overcorrected for a problem they didn't have.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's way better to have too few microtransactions than too many. I absolutely give SCEA props for trying to be socially ethical and "do the right thing." It could be way worse, and we could be on the other side complaining about how The Show has been ruined by these micro's.

But still, I don't think the change was necessary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2018, 11:33 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Exactly, and it has already been noted that RttS microtransactions were some of the most purchased in the game.

They could have easily pulled an EA or 2K and expanded on them even further making them even more Insidious/intrusive, instead they chose to completely remove them from progression and make them optional for equipment.

Sent from Tatooine using Tapatalk
Except then they turned around and made equipment 100% essential for progression if you want to avoid their stupid caps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »