Home

What Batting Options do you use and why?

This is a discussion on What Batting Options do you use and why? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: What Batting Options do you use and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Hall of fame difficulty with zone hitting

This for different reasons. After '12 version of "The Show", timing hitting became to random for me. I played very little of '13 for this reason (coupled with the silly decision to not have commentary in RttS). '14 version of "The Show" saw me use zone and I haven't switched since.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6

Directional. Like using classic for pitching, I want ratings to matter the most. I found using zone that the differentiation between hitters was minimal to none for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #11
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

Same as others have mentioned...zone on HOF difficulty.

Used to play with analog but having to time the stride and the movement with the right stick just has a clunky feel to it compared to zone. And timing, for me, doesn’t give me as much involvement with my swing as I prefer.

With zone, the aiming with the left stick and the timing of hitting x to swing is a perfect balance for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
Do Your Job

TheBigTee's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
Zone with analog, all-star. I like Zone because it feels rewarding to get a hit or homerun. The just hit x to swing method never truly felt like I was doing much.

Zone is also challenging which I like.
I also use zone with analog. I like the stride on so I have to time the step pulling back on the right analog stick. I turn off guess pitch, PCI, strike zone, and hot/cold zones, so I can just focus on the ball as it comes in.

I find that this is the most realistic hitting option and I find it to be the most rewarding. I typically hover around all-star difficulty for hitting.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Directional Hitting, All Star Difficulty, no visual aides, no guess pitch.

Ratings first and foremost plus a totally clean screen.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 03-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

So, didn't want to make polls for these did ya?

Always have used Zone with buttons, and am happier this year that the PCI still moves after the swing now. I turn off the PCI though. I'm on All Star when I play, modified sliders.

Directional hitting is a farce for me. Could never create realistic home run values with it. The big boppers would get a lot because I'd be aiming for them, and the small guys would get like zero because I'd never aim for it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 03-16-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Directional, HoF difficulty. I feel differences in both hitter and pitcher ratings and with the HoF pitching strategy (and with 0 strike frequency), I get realistic Zone % and if I'm not careful, I can really get myself out too much on those pitcher's pitches out of the zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Directional hitting is a farce for me. Could never create realistic home run values with it. The big boppers would get a lot because I'd be aiming for them, and the small guys would get like zero because I'd never aim for it.

I must be misunderstanding because that sounds plausible to me. I mean, Dee Gordon has fewer HR in his MLB life (11) than Judge probably can get in a month.

The range of HR totals among qualified batters? From 59 to 2

So depending on how "small" you mean by small guys...your results sound about right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I must be misunderstanding because that sounds plausible to me. I mean, Dee Gordon has fewer HR in his MLB life (11) than Judge probably can get in a month.

The range of HR totals among qualified batters? From 59 to 2

So depending on how "small" you mean by small guys...your results sound about right.
No I know, but I get that from Zone hitting as well.

What I mean is that if I aim up with a small guy, I will pretty much just pop out or fly out. It doesn't even have to be a really small guy, it could be Kurt Suzuki, Wilmer Flores, or any of the 2017 Giants (where their HR leader was Brandon Belt with 18). I don't want to run the risk of "aiming up" and not hitting it out, because I'll just likely get out. Therefore, I won't aim up, so I most likely won't hit it out.

Now, you can say that there is enough variety with directional hitting to that you don't always hit where you aim based on several measures (including possibly sheer mathematical randomness), but it is enough influence that the user's decision to hit one way versus another can completely offset that. We have all seen when Russell would be doing a gameplay preview with IGN or something and say "I'm going to try and hit one out with Stanton" and he is aiming up and to the left. There is a reason he is not aiming down and to the right, or not going free-stick. My video where I hit like 30 consecutive homers with my maxed-out Big Daddy CAP is from aiming up with Directional Hitting as well. It just never worked out for me.

This isn't the only game to have this kind of issue. I remember when MLB Power Pros came out that I concluded it was impossible (not improbable, but impossible) to hit home runs with the contact swing. There are players that could barely make contact hitting with power though, so I'd just have to hit contact with them and bear the burden of not really getting any home runs from them. One of the only real negatives about that game, other than that they don't make any of them anymore.

I'd rather play Zone, let user ability play into the solid contact opportunities, and let ratings take care of the rest, including having some balls go out.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »