Home

What Pitching Options do you use and why?

This is a discussion on What Pitching Options do you use and why? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: What Pitching Options do you use and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Little tip for the guys who want to stay on meter but are feeling like they're too pinpoint with their pitches (I'm seeing a lot of that in this thread) - move up in difficulty, and nudge the CPU's contact down a click or two if necessary. This will make it harder to locate your pitches precisely, and the contact drop is to compensate for the CPU's hitting getting easier.

This is starting to become the default way I deal with this game.

I did it for hitting, moving up to HoF after getting tired of persistent 55+% Zone percentages, making it too hard to get value from being patient, etc. and too hard to "balance" (i.e. get realistic sabermetric results based on my user ability) around All-Star's innate tendencies.

Moved up to HoF - CPU has been right around the MLB average of 45% pitches in the zone. Walks now more on my approach as much as the CPU's sequencing, more like the real game.

I'm close to doing it for pitching, especially since I'm Pulse over Classic now, though, so far, it hasn't felt as necessary.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #66
Rookie

UNIT180's Arena

OVR: 0

I love meter pitching but for the life on me I do not understand this....If you aim the pitch and hit it precisely on the meter the ball should go exactly where u aimed....Like NBA2K...if your shot is exactly on point the ball goes in the basket...makes sense to me
Old 03-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 15

I finally got to play my 1st game today. I tried Pulse since I wanted to try something different from meter and I enjoyed the change. We'll see if I change back.

What ratings does Pulse pitching emphasize?

One issue I had was I hit 4 batters in the game. I'm hoping I can cut down on that.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #68
Banned

Drty_Windshield's Arena

Classic Pitching, all on screen info off, from either the Broadcast view or outfield with HOF difficulty. That's what I'll be using from here on out, now that I've had a week to get used to the game.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:09 AM   #69
Rookie

bravo2208's Arena

I got used to meter pitching during the Triple Play Baseball days. I recently tried the other options out of curiosity and nothing stuck. Pulse is pretty fun, but I hate how I can time a pitch perfectly and still miss my spot so badly. Pitching with the analog stick felt awkward to me. Classic is also a no go. Not enough control over the situation. Maybe someday they will come up with something I like better that Meter but I haven't found it yet.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 1

classic. just make it simple
Old 03-31-2018, 02:46 PM   #71
Pro

Geolink's Arena

OVR: 4

Meter

Been using meter since I started playing SCEA MLB series (before it even became The Show) it's hard for me to drop that option and go to analog. I've tried analog a few times and tried to like it but I don't feel comfortable and end up making more mistakes than I would with meter.

I understand meter a lot more. I feel a lot of the newer users who've jumped on The Show maybe in the PS3/PS4 gen like analog a lot more and are used to it. I remember analog being a MLB 2K thing and I hated it then, same with pulse pitching. It just doesn't feel natural to me.

Same thing with "button accuracy" the regular button throw is a lot more comfortable to use and I'm least likely to make an error throw because of my timing.

Only thing I have grown to adapt to is zone hitting. It just feels a lot better and I'm able to control where I want to place the PCI and I'm not just handicapped by where the game wants to place the PCI for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #72
Rookie

wizfan2's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Little tip for the guys who want to stay on meter but are feeling like they're too pinpoint with their pitches (I'm seeing a lot of that in this thread) - move up in difficulty, and nudge the CPU's contact down a click or two if necessary. This will make it harder to locate your pitches precisely, and the contact drop is to compensate for the CPU's hitting getting easier.

This is why I moved to Legend on Meter - it's not possible for me to locate perfectly on that level, which means I have to aim more to the edges (or even off the plate), to avoid throwing meatballs. That means walking guys when I didn't mean to, but it also means getting swinging strikeouts on pitches slightly out of the zone.
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks alot will give it a try, always been a "meter" guy.

"A wise man never knows all, only a fool knows everything"

"If you were making a list of people you trusted, would you put your name down"
-NF "Only"

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »