Home

Show '09 vs. Show' 18

This is a discussion on Show '09 vs. Show' 18 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #65
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Show '09 vs. Show' 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Yes, but I certainly take these small changes. Just the improved fielding speeds that let me put baserunning speed high so I can see Hamliton burn down the line like he does IRL and the game still not giving up tons of hits...

Or the balls slice/hook AWAY from fielders close to lines if they are hit with enough spin...

It's a little here and a little there...but add it up over 5, 10, 15 seasons of a franchise and the course of a franchise, player careers, etc. can be dramatic.

So it may be small on a technical level, for me, it really piles up in the "story" of my franchise and it's players.

But maybe that's just me
I was speaking more to just the visuals, but if you want to talk about those gameplay things, here are eight things that all relate to one another which can really help the extra base hit game (plus the balance with runners advancing to certain other bases, including home)...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1) Outfielders can still charge pretty hard at balls coming right at them.

2) Grass and dirt still do not yield different bounces, friction, etc.

3) Outfield positioning has not changed over the course of the years, backing them up and taking them more off the lines by default.

4) Balls hang up too long in the air.

5) Balls hit into the power alleys are not given substantial more power than balls hit down the lines.

6) Balls with spin tend to lose their spin immediately after the first bounce.

7) Outfielders can run directly back just as fast as they can run any other direction.

8) Momentum still has not played yet enough of a factor when it comes to how a ball is approached by outfielders.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, one or two of these may have changed this year (specifically #4 and #6) and #8 is my opinion only, but I think this is an overall tweaking that has largely been left ignored in the series that would allow me to not have to play with sliders until I fix five broken things and break one or two things in the process.

Now like I said, they are constantly improving on certain aspects of the game with this (as well as with the AI or how ratings affect what players can do), but I think some of the bigger things are just left as is and there aren't real remedies for them yet. For example, the rocket bunts in to prevent cheesers... but what happens in real life that makes players not bunt all of the time? Or placing outfielders closer than they should be so balls can get over players' heads, but that speaks more toward other physics in their game that can be improved. Things like that.

In MLB '10, they broke the game's ball physics. Around '15 or so, we finally started to see the correct path that we are now on, and I'm thinking this year will be even better (as we saw the Judge home run example). They said they addressed opposite field power though, and I'm still seeing a lot of no-doubters that direction in the trailers and gameplay videos we've been provided so far. I think there is just still a lot to accomplish that we have been mentioning since at least '09, even though there have been plenty of other improvements along the way.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #66
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Is it release day yet!?

Sent from my htc[10] | via Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 03-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #67
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

No.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #68
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Is it release day yet!?

Sent from my htc[10] | via Tapatalk
Good one. I'm taking a break until I see some impressions on Friday. Enough, woulda, shoulda, coulda. It's all just rehash.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #69
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timay
It's amazing how much of a group of apologists OS is when it comes to MLB the Show and SDS. The game is stale when it comes to presentation and issues that have been in the game for most of the generation.
Exactly. Well said.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #70
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
All these Indian avatar posts all in a row are freaking me out!
It makes me feel like George Armstrong Custer at the Battle of the Little Bighorn.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #71
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Yes, but I certainly take these small changes. Just the improved fielding speeds that let me put baserunning speed high so I can see Hamliton burn down the line like he does IRL and the game still not giving up tons of hits...

Or the balls slice/hook AWAY from fielders close to lines if they are hit with enough spin...

It's a little here and a little there...but add it up over 5, 10, 15 seasons of a franchise and the course of a franchise, player careers, etc. can be dramatic.

So it may be small on a technical level, for me, it really piles up in the "story" of my franchise and it's players.

But maybe that's just me
I think most of us on OS get pretty geeked up about small changes. The problem is when those small changes are billed as the #1 and #2 features by the developers. When they try to make small things look major. It's maddening especially when they try to talk about something that isn't even new like it's never been in the game before. I like small changes. I like small changes a lot. Especially when they're something like the #4, #5, and #6 most important things on the feature list instead of the "big things."

Last year, they implemented ball physics so even though we really just got a fresh coat of paint on Franchise mode, most of us were willing to accept the tradeoff in light of how big of a deal ball physics was. This year, there really isn't that carrying feature that appeals to "sim" type gamers and that's why Franchise mode has been torched harder on OS than ever before perhaps.

Small changes can be good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
It makes me feel like George Armstrong Custer at the Battle of the Little Bighorn.
That, or Bollywood.
No, probably definitely your thing.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »