Home

MLB The Show 18 Franchise Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Franchise Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #1577
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: MLB The Show 18 Franchise Discussion Thread

The wheels have suddenly come off on my season. I've now dropped five in a row, including getting swept in a two game series by second place Washington and my division lead went from 5.5 games to .5. My offense is completely dead and I've somehow lost the ability to hit breaking balls up in the zone. I was hitting about 90% of them for HRs in the first half, but in the 12 games since the all star break I haven't hit one HR off of a breaking ball
Old 08-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #1578
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
The wheels have suddenly come off on my season. I've now dropped five in a row, including getting swept in a two game series by second place Washington and my division lead went from 5.5 games to .5. My offense is completely dead and I've somehow lost the ability to hit breaking balls up in the zone. I was hitting about 90% of them for HRs in the first half, but in the 12 games since the all star break I haven't hit one HR off of a breaking ball
Interesting. I almost always see a dropoff in team performance in the dog days of August. I think there was only one year I avoided it.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #1579
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

Cubbies fall in Arizona today. The game fell apart in the sixth when I tapped O so Rizzo would step on first. Instead I got a red throw over the pitchers head.

Cubs 2-5-2
D-Backs 4-8-1

No homers by either side in the game.

Lester falls to 16-8
W - Reggie Medeiros 8-10
SV - Tony Watson 37

Cardinals fall in the ATL, so we remain 1.5 games back in the central, however we official claim at least a wild card spot!

Rockies have a 3 game lead over the Braves for the last spot in the NL.

11 games to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 08-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #1580
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

The New York Mets won 116 games in 2018, and yet, their season was ended in just four postseason games by the St. Louis Cardinals.

After splitting games in New York, the Cardinals outscored the Mets 20-6 in Busch Stadium, winning Games 3 and 4 of the NLDS by an identical 10-4 score.

The Cardinals were just the better team. I couldn't do anything to cool their bats down, and their pitching was really good, too. Not having Cespedes and deGrom definitely made a difference, but not sure we win with them, either.

Cleveland defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers in 6 games to win the World Series.

Going to take a little break from The Show before starting up the 2019 season. 2018 was a heck of a ride, but disappointing to not perform well in the playoffs.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #1581
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Stan Brito Hits 300th Home Run

Stan Brito felt especially emotional rounding the bases as his 300th home run sailed through the evening sky.

His teammates came out to greet him and he basked in the adoration of the home fans as Griffith Stadium came alive at the sight of the milestone achievement.

"This really meant something. I still remember my younger days when I was 'Brito the Bust' or 'Stinker Stan'...among the names fit to be repeated...and the talk of trading me. I'm very grateful to the Marlins organization and my teammates for standing by me. Today might not have come otherwise, " Brito spoke postgame.

This comes as Brito is having a career year at 30 years old. He's still leading for the batting title, and if the home runs come, he might be pushing for a triple crown as well. His walks have improved, and he puts the bat on the ball...a dangerous combination on a hitter with his bat speed and a swing that stays in the hitting zone for a long time.

Brito is up for free agency, but it's hard to think the Marlins will simply let him depart, not after sticking with him this long and watching him finally blossom into the hitter the organization always thought he could be.

Jay Craft Hits for the Cycle

The day featured another piece of history. Jay Craft, perhaps the least likely of the Marlins to do it, hit for the cycle. He managed a triple, single, and double in his first three at-bats. The fourth was the most rare hit for Craft - a home run.

"I surprised myself. I poke one out here or there, but I never expected it, " Craft smiled, "I'll probably never hit another HR in this park all year long!"

Craft tacked on a 5th and 6th hit as well and ended up with 5 RBI on the day, scoring four runs in the process.

Craft is another up for free agency, and it's less clear on if the Marlins will be able to pursue, and retain, his services.

"He's a premium player. Great defense and a very steady, versatile bat, and speed to boot. He will command top dollar from whoever lands him, " one analyst commented.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #1582
MVP

FluffyTonka's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
The New York Mets won 116 games in 2018, and yet, their season was ended in just four postseason games by the St. Louis Cardinals.

After splitting games in New York, the Cardinals outscored the Mets 20-6 in Busch Stadium, winning Games 3 and 4 of the NLDS by an identical 10-4 score.

The Cardinals were just the better team. I couldn't do anything to cool their bats down, and their pitching was really good, too. Not having Cespedes and deGrom definitely made a difference, but not sure we win with them, either.

Cleveland defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers in 6 games to win the World Series.

Going to take a little break from The Show before starting up the 2019 season. 2018 was a heck of a ride, but disappointing to not perform well in the playoffs.
it's a tough old game, huh?

... to dominate so hard in the regular season and then come undone in the playoffs. i can't imagine what that feels like.

In the show '17 I made the wildcard playoff against the D'backs (I was the padres) and that went to 13 innings of a 2-2 game when my totally gassed reliever Phil Maton started his 3rd inning of work (the only guy left in my bullpen) walked Nick Ahmed on a bases loaded jam for the walk off winning run.

I'm not sure i've ever been the same since then... played 158 of the 162 games and was so invested in that it wasn't funny. I still can't properly look at Maton and I still have resent towards nick ahmed haha
Old 08-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #1583
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyTonka
it's a tough old game, huh?

... to dominate so hard in the regular season and then come undone in the playoffs. i can't imagine what that feels like.

In the show '17 I made the wildcard playoff against the D'backs (I was the padres) and that went to 13 innings of a 2-2 game when my totally gassed reliever Phil Maton started his 3rd inning of work (the only guy left in my bullpen) walked Nick Ahmed on a bases loaded jam for the walk off winning run.

I'm not sure i've ever been the same since then... played 158 of the 162 games and was so invested in that it wasn't funny. I still can't properly look at Maton and I still have resent towards nick ahmed haha
Yeah, Dexter Fowler (who I really like from his time with the Rockies and I lived in CO) is on my **** list, lol.

Not sure what I'm going to do about the game difficulty. Was considering moving up to HOF after the regular season I had. I don't want to start messing with sliders, so it's either moving up or standing pat. I'm torn.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #1584
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I got back to my winning ways and snapped a five game skid with a 5-1 win that the Braves gift wrapped and handed to me. Pretty much the only way I can score is via the HR, but the Braves hit five batters, including three in one inning so I actually had men on base when I registered a few hits.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »