Home

PS4 Pro 1080p Video Thread

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro 1080p Video Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2018, 02:47 AM   #25
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: PS4 Pro 1080p Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjthomas121
I took 2 shots from my Phone and tried to get the difference with HDR turned off and on IN the game. Both are on the sharp setting.
Top is HDR ON
Bottom is HDR OFF
What are you guys thoughts. I’m kinda rolling with the Bottom.
Never gonna get an accurate comparison with your phone IMO.

But bottom looks too red to me. Top looks much more natural.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 02:55 AM   #26
RTTS Junkie

BSUFAN's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Never gonna get an accurate comparison with your phone IMO.

But bottom looks too red to me. Top looks much more natural.
Well at least is some good version of red , or not
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Lakers

Old 03-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #27
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
So if I'm understanding correctly, it's pointless to have SS on in "Faster" (1080p) mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Sure, but turning off supersampling also seems equally as pointless. Might as well leave it on for games/settings that could use it.
I'm actually not sure how the PS4s implementation of SuperSampling works, but It's a fairly safe assumption that it would just automatically turn itself off when rendering at native resolution, so keeping the setting turned on would in theory not make a difference. In fact I wasn't even aware there was a SuperSampling setting, I just assumed that was automatic. Where is this setting?

Man, consoles better be careful. They keep up this trend, they are going to make themselves just mini PCs and therefore obsolete. At least PlayStation has a good software studio lineup they own for when that happens.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:16 AM   #28
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I'm actually not sure how the PS4s implementation of SuperSampling works, but It's a fairly safe assumption that it would just automatically turn itself off when rendering at native resolution, so keeping the setting turned on would in theory not make a difference.
That's what we're saying. Turning it on essentially can't harm it (and can only help it in games/settings when it could activate), so people should just leave it turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
In fact I wasn't even aware there was a SuperSampling setting, I just assumed that was automatic. Where is this setting?
I believe it came with the 5.50 update. It should be somewhere in Display/Output Settings or something like that.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-25-2018, 03:21 AM   #29
RTTS Junkie

BSUFAN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
That's what we're saying. Turning it on essentially can't harm it (and can only help it in games/settings when it could activate), so people should just leave it turned on.

I believe it came with the 5.50 update. It should be somewhere in Display/Output Settings or something like that.
It's in the sound and screen section video output settings
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Lakers

Last edited by BSUFAN; 03-25-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:24 AM   #30
RTTS Junkie

BSUFAN's Arena

FYI: When ever you turn on a game that can use the Supersampling mode it gives you a message that it is activated.
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Lakers

Old 03-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #31
Rookie

Just a note on supersampling: it's a system level change that essentially forces pro-enhanced games to run at the highest resolution possible and scale down, as necessary. Before enabling supersampling, it's best to confirm what the game offers for 1080p users. Example: BF1 offers 1080p supersampling and improved frame rate, as shipped. Leaving the system supersampling option enabled overrides the in-game enhancements and produces a worse result for 1080p users.

What we need is confirmation of what each mode does, not unlike what the Last of Us Remastered does, where the benefits/trade-offs of each mode are clearly defined.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #32
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjthomas121
I took 2 shots from my Phone and tried to get the difference with HDR turned off and on IN the game. Both are on the sharp setting.
Top is HDR ON
Bottom is HDR OFF
What are you guys thoughts. I’m kinda rolling with the Bottom.
Yeah I'd definitely roll with the top one. I understanding finding the bottom one subjectively better, but the top one is objectively more accurate, and here is why.

Remember, you are playing a day game, and I assume it is 1pm (since it's default for quickplay). Colours should look washed out a little from the noon day sun. But look at the faceguard. It's shaded, and the exact same colour of red as the bottom faceguard. HDR just enables more range of brightness within a frame. I can definitely understand liking the look more with it turned off, but HDR is more capable of being true to life.

I think some people turn HDR on expecting every frame to have the same wow factor as the cherry picked screenshots advertisers use to show off HDR, but fact of the matter is in most cases it's actually going to make the colours have less pop, not more, since it's a little more true to life. Real life is boring. However, you are going to still have cherry picked situations in game that are just going to look incredible. Try a night game, I suspect that sunset and night are where HDR is really going to be able to show off its chops.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »