Home

MLB 18 Manage Only Mode

This is a discussion on MLB 18 Manage Only Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 18 Manage Only Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito
So far, it appears the offense has improved. I always thought 2017's CPU vs. CPU offense was too anemic (too many 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 games). I remember even with solid hits sliders set to max and the offense was still struggling. NOMO's settings yielded great results, but I can recall it took him a lot of work to figure out what worked the best.

Based on a small sample, I'm hoping this year's game will be much better.
They focused on gameplay this year and it shows. On default sliders I'm getting the most realistic results I've ever seen in the series. Gone are the days when you could ignore defensive attributes and get gold glove defense.

There is no doubt this year's game is much better. The downside is I'll be hooked on the show again and my ps4 golf game will suffer LOL.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
What view do you all use when managing?

I use dugout because I like the immersion of feeling Im right there. Howerever, I feel I am missing a lot of the in play animation in the game. I thought of switching to broadcast or behind the plate, like Im the GM sitting in the first row. However, then I lose the immersion of being the manager. In dugout, it doesnt swith to broacast view when the ball is in play. It just follows the ball from the dugout.
I use press box view.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
They focused on gameplay this year and it shows. On default sliders I'm getting the most realistic results I've ever seen in the series. Gone are the days when you could ignore defensive attributes and get gold glove defense.

There is no doubt this year's game is much better. The downside is I'll be hooked on the show again and my ps4 golf game will suffer LOL.

I couldn’t agree more Playing on default and getting great realistic results Bravo Sony!!Although you should have let everyone know you took out season mode!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warriors
Sharks
Old 03-25-2018, 01:04 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 4

So you guys are happy with Default? That is encouraging. I have not played an MoM game yet but ran 15 CPU vs CPU games and the offense is like last years Maybe it is different but thats odd. Here are 15 CPU vs CPU games at Default results

R = 85 (2.83)
H = 203 (6.77)
AVG = 203-961 (.211)
2B = 45 (1.5)
3B = 4 (0.13)
HR = 17 ( 0.57)
K = 266 (8.87)
BB = 94 (3.13)
E = 11 (0.37)
SB = 11 (0.37)
CS = 7 (0.23)
WP = 14 (0.47)
SP IP = 175 (5.83)

These were on Day 1 of a Franchise so facing #1's in the rotation is part of the problem. But as you can see offense is way low. Running a 15 game test with Nomos last years sliders to compare now. I wonder if MoM and Cpu vs Cpu are different?? Would love to see some box scores of you guys MoM game
Old 03-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #21
MVP

forme95's Arena

MoM and C v C are different. Cpu, you have 0 input on what happens. MoM however, you control enough to make a difference. Hit and runs, bunts, steals, when to change pitchers, even pitches for that matter. All which result in different gameplay.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

F1 23 My Team S2
GT7 Dabble

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
MoM and C v C are different. Cpu, you have 0 input on what happens. MoM however, you control enough to make a difference. Hit and runs, bunts, steals, when to change pitchers, even pitches for that matter. All which result in different gameplay.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Absolutely! Yes I get that part of it for sure as all i play is MoM once i feel the game feels right. I call H and R and do all that you noted with the exception of calling pitches. That said I would think the 2 modes would produce similar results
Old 03-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
What view do you all use when managing?

I use dugout because I like the immersion of feeling Im right there. Howerever, I feel I am missing a lot of the in play animation in the game. I thought of switching to broadcast or behind the plate, like Im the GM sitting in the first row. However, then I lose the immersion of being the manager. In dugout, it doesnt swith to broacast view when the ball is in play. It just follows the ball from the dugout.
I love the dugout view for all the reasons mentioned above. But I will acknowledge that it isn't always the best view in regards to seeing where the pitch was thrown to the batter. We can see up and down, but not inside or outside from the dugout. But I still love it.

Well my first day of the 2018 season is behind me. 1 MoM game and 14 CPU vs CPU games and I have to say I am impressed. It appears that player ratings actually mean something. I only watched one CPU vs CPU game from start to finish (Cubs vs Marlins) as I wanted to watch for new animations, but I did catch innings usually ones late in the games from the other 13 CPU games and why I think player ratings mean more this year than previous years is that in a lot of games, they may have been close when the two starters were still in the game. But more often than not once the teams went to the bullpens, the team with the better rated batters and/or better rated relievers tended to win. There was really only one upset all day and that was when the Blue Jays pummeled the Yankees 7-2. But the usual suspects like the Astros, Indians, Red Sox, Cubs and Nationals won their respective games with late inning offensive pushes. Plus there was a nice mixture of high, low and medium scoring games from all the CPU vs CPU games.

My MoM game was a low scoring pitchers due. But it felt very real like this is how the real world opener this coming Thursday could play out. Rockies versus the D-Backs, Gray vs Greinke. Greinke pitched well striking out many and for the most part kept the Rockies hitters in check with the exception of the odd hit here and there. Gray also pitched well, but when Gray allowed some solid contact, the Rockies above average defenders robbed the D-Backs hitters. Example: Arenado performed his magic on more than one occasion, but it wasn't just him. Then in the top of the 7th while trailing 1-0 and Greinke still in the game but at about 100 pitches, Trevor Story and Chris Iannetta each crushed solo big flies against Greinke and from that point on my bullpen was able to close the door for a 2-1 win.

Oh and one more observation from my MoM game play. I stopped calling pitch locations a few weeks back because I might have been giving myself an unfair advantage over my CPU opponents. But I observed something with my pitcher Jon Gray that I don't think I ever saw in MoM game play in previous years. There seemed to be a game plan between him an Iannetta and for most of the game he was working down in the zone. There were times when he threw up, but for the most part most of his stuff was down. I noticed this early in the game when the announcers via the Broadcast presentation mode showed all the pitches from one plate appearance. But from that point on, I paid closer attention and it was a repeatable pattern. I don't think this is just MoM game play. It is likely just the overall improvements of CPU game play. But I have to say things are looking good. I am still not happy SDS never warned us about turfing Season mode. But if the game play becomes more stats based results via player ratings, then all I have to say is "Season Mode"? Never heard of it.

Last edited by My993C2; 03-25-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #24
Rookie

I'll switch up the views. Mostly I just do broadcast, but it's a hoot to do dugout view from time to time.

I am really enjoying this game (or more accurately, obsessed with). I've had to make the conscious and difficult decision to put down the controller and get outside from time to time. Good thing it's spring break and I have plans, or this could get ugly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »