Home

For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not?

This is a discussion on For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 AM   #73
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairBolFL
2. No classic stadiums added.

You would think that to satisfy customer demand, SDS would add at least two classic ballparks to the game (perhaps Tiger Stadium and The Astrodome?). Nevertheless, this feature was overlooked.
This surprised me. No new parks to add and no retractable roofs to work on so you'd think a few new ballparks would make sense. I can only assume they were on a very tight budget and didn't want to pay whatever licensing costs were demanded. The reworked backdrops at the minor league parks are a poor substitute since those parks range from forgettable to silly.

Somehow I suspect we'll get a ballpark creator before they add more parks (not that I think a ballpark creator is coming anytime soon). But if they were to add some, I'd personally like to see some of the more attractive/interesting minor league parks get licensed and put in the game. Failing that, a complete overhaul of the minor league parks they currently have with an emphasis on mimicking real life parks would be welcome. More realistic ST parks are also needed.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:41 AM   #74
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Lack of MVP style "Hitters eye" or Pro Yakyuu "Batter Eye" in this game is a killer for me. I can tell the difference between a FB and curve but otherwise I'm pretty much just guessing. Play against me and I'll just find a pitcher with a FB, changeup, cutter, 2-seamer & forkball and you'll be toast. It doesn't have to be a game changer, it can easily be something you can enable or disable.

And I'll cheat and throw in a wish item...Stadium Creator! Earl Weaver baseball had this in 1988 and it was some good sauce.

Last edited by swaldo; 03-30-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:43 AM   #75
Rookie

ulua's Arena

OVR: 5

Man I traded my ps4 in for Scorpio, I thought I could live with out the show.
I think I was wrong LOL, so I'm thinking of buying a used PS4 from gamestop just for this game.........do you think it's worth it to buy it just for this game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2018, 01:44 AM   #76
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulua
Man I traded my ps4 in for Scorpio, I thought I could live with out the show.
I think I was wrong LOL, so I'm thinking of buying a used PS4 from gamestop just for this game.........do you think it's worth it to buy it just for this game?
I think you're in the wrong thread. You should check out the impressions thread and ask in the Q/A thread. If you're asking in here, which is basically for people who aren't getting the game, then you're going to get a biased answer obviously.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:10 AM   #77
Rookie

ulua's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I think you're in the wrong thread. You should check out the impressions thread and ask in the Q/A thread. If you're asking in here, which is basically for people who aren't getting the game, then you're going to get a biased answer obviously.
oh ok, sorry
Old 03-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #78
Pro

MJDrocks's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm a non-buyer initially that ended up caving. I found a copy online for $40 two days after the official release. To save $25 (including tax) off of retail just two days after release was too good to pass up on.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Are most of you guys gonna keep playing 17 this year?

A Work in Progress
Old 03-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #80
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

I guess my non-purchase comes down to this: I don't see any changes that make me want to purchase the game. It visually looks the same to me as last year, which looks the same as the year previous. The textures are bland and lifeless, and the player models are so outdated. I also don't see any changes to franchise that I care for, and while I don't have a problem with Diamond Dynasty in of itself, I do have a problem with most of their focus going to it and not to the gameplay or the graphics.

This also lines up with something I have a major problem with: the removal of modes through the game. Online franchise and season modes weren't my most played modes, but their outright removals were disturbing to me. SCEA used to be boastful in saying that they didn't remove modes from their games. However, the removal of these two goes along with Community Challenges and rival modes. It makes me ask myself "what modes are they going to remove for next year"?

I haven't missed a game since MLB the Show 09. Back then, the game was adding features left and right, and every game felt fresh. This year however, it leaves a lot lacking. This is not a $60 must have purchase like in previous years for me. I've picked up OOTP and I am having a blast with how deep the game is. The 3D mode is fun to play with, reminding me of late '80s Baseball games in a very good way. I don't see myself picking up the Show at all this year, and I'll have to see some better improvements for me to pick it up next year.

I don't disparage anybody who picks up this game and enjoys it. In fact, I hope that people to enjoy the game this year and SCEA will do a little bit better with information next year. However, while some may think SCEA's Baseball is Better, I must say that it used to be better than this...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »