Home

For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not?

This is a discussion on For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not?

So OP, you're saying you decided to wait till next year???

Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I love OOTP but until you can actually play a game other than just a text-sim on OOTP, it's like comparing your AM/FM/CD on your car radio to a HDTV with Direct/Dish satellite.
And I'm not necessarily saying OOTP is the car radio. In fact, I enjoy & get more use out of my radio than TV.
See, that is why I was able to skip The Show this year. The little 3D players OOTP added this year is enough for me. I've reached a point where I don't really like to play as anyone much anymore in my offline modes. I've always used player lock like features when I could, used auto-fielding, and similar features in sports games. I always wanted visual stimulation with OOTP, but didn't need to play it like a traditional baseball game. Now that they have their foundation for 3D in this year's game I am able to play it, watch the games pitch by pitch and act as a GM in a deep franchise and be happy.

Maybe I am just not the person the series targets anymore with what I have become as a sprots "gamer".

― Plato
Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
See, that is why I was able to skip The Show this year. The little 3D players OOTP added this year is enough for me. I've reached a point where I don't really like to play as anyone much anymore in my offline modes. I've always used player lock like features when I could, used auto-fielding, and similar features in sports games. I always wanted visual stimulation with OOTP, but didn't need to play it like a traditional baseball game. Now that they have their foundation for 3D in this year's game I am able to play it, watch the games pitch by pitch and act as a GM in a deep franchise and be happy.

Maybe I am just not the person the series targets anymore with what I have become as a sprots "gamer".

You have just read my mind. Exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #52
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I love OOTP but until you can actually play a game other than just a text-sim on OOTP, it's like comparing your AM/FM/CD on your car radio to a HDTV with Direct/Dish satellite.
No, it's not a comparison.

It's enjoying two complete different genres.

And yes, both are "baseball games" and thus "sports game" in the standard genres.

But OOTP is more like a turn-based strategy game while MLB The Show plays more like an RTS. These labels just don't get applied to sports games, though mechanically and mentally, they hit those realms.

You can like both - many do. But they are targeting completely different play styles and types of player.

It's not really "comparing" but saying "I like one enough so I don't need the other right away/at all at the moment."
Old 03-28-2018, 01:01 AM   #53
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

Woah so they made it like Football Manager this has me intrigued. FM ruined all Footy Career/Master Leaguemail modes for me.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:31 AM   #54
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

I've pre ordered for many, many years. This is the first year where I will not buy for a while, at least. I already get enough baseball in real life, it takes up so much of my time, and I've got better things to do. Nothing I saw has made me think that 18 is any better than 17.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:42 AM   #55
Rookie

I guess I fall into my own camp.

I pre-ordered the game. Never even thought about waiting. And I don’t regret it.

Sure I am disappointed by many of the same things that all of you guys are. However I have only been playing since Dec 2016 so nothing feels stale to me and I’m not really bothered as much as some other people who’ve been playing for far longer.

I guess I am torn between two trains of thought:

1 - consumers should vote with their dollars. I think the problems with the Roster glitch, SOTS and definitely the lack of transparency regarding Season Mode are big issues that make me angry that I paid full price. I would feel like a smarter consumer if I had just waited until the game went on sale.

2 - I know exactly how the relationship between a subsidiary and a parent company works. I am very confident that off the record, the developers are as frustrated as we are. I’m sure they hated removing season mode and pushing “phases” like it’s some big new feature. But I’m willing to bet those decisions (and how they are marketed) are being made above their heads.

So yea... I know how it feels to be the face of a product that is letting customers down. It really sucks! And what makes it worse is that you can’t say to the consumer “hey man, I agree with you, but I work for a corporation and they don’t care about you.”

But that is what’s happening and I have to think that is how the developers feel. And if I am right, then not buying the game or waiting for it to go on sale is hurting me more than it is hurting Sony.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2018, 04:04 AM   #56
Rookie

mgarc1125's Arena

I only play offline franchise and RTTS and there doesn’t seem to be any significant additions to those modes. It’s basically a $60 roster update.

I would have purchased if they added PSVR to RTTS or stadium builder to franchise but there is seemingly nothing new. And after reading this thread about issues with RTTS, SOTS, and roster sharing I’m even more disappointed. Hopefully 19 will be better. For now 17 will do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »