Home

Old 04-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #33
MVP

forme95's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Bunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjdwf21
Then they need to tell people that before they buy the game. I'm lucky that I rent before buy

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
It hasnt been a secret really. Its been this way for a few years now. If you played last years you would know its been there unfortunetly.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
I just don't understand why people have such a problem with this vs. the CPU.

I can go into the custom practice and put a runner on first, and sacrifice him over with just about any player by squaring early and pushing a bunt to the first base side - the CPU will nearly always throw to first. You need to hold the button ahead of time before or right after the start of a wind-up - if your player does not square until the pitch is moving then you've waited too long. If you wait too long the game will think you're drag bunting - and it will almost always be a rocket and the CPU WILL throw to 2nd. I won't always get the sac bunt down but it's a pretty high percentage.

That practice mode can mimic actual game situations, so it's going to play out the same way in an actual game.

I agree that bunting for hits is nearly impossible (they need a high drag bunt rating and even then it's a crapshoot), and bunting rarely works vs. another player because they will risk that close play at 2nd every time. But people shouldn't struggle this much with sacrificing vs the CPU.
Quoting my own post instead of editing because we went to a new page, and I just noticed something EVERYONE needs to see. The strike-through represents something very important that I just missed - if you square long before the pitcher starts his windup the 1B will immediately charge the bunt - and probably throw out the guy at 2nd because he receives the ball quicker. You need to make him continue holding the runner on first and jump off first sideways before he charges until the last possible moment - that's why the hole for a sac bunt opens up and it's why the play is successful. So the ideal time to square is immediately after the pitcher's motion starts - but again, you can't wait too long or the game will interpret it as a drag bunt.

Try it for yourself in practice mode. And if you're still having trouble, post a video so I might be able to help.

Last edited by bcruise; 04-01-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #35
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Quoting my own post instead of editing because we went to a new page, and I just noticed something EVERYONE needs to see. The strike-through represents something very important that I just missed - if you square long before the pitcher starts his windup the 1B will immediately charge the bunt - and probably throw out the guy at 2nd because he receives the ball quicker. You need to make him continue holding the runner on first and jump off first sideways before he charges until the last possible moment - that's why the hole for a sac bunt opens up and it's why the play is successful. So the ideal time to square is immediately after the pitcher's motion starts - but again, you can't wait too long or the game will interpret it as a drag bunt.

Try it for yourself in practice mode. And if you're still having trouble, post a video so I might be able to help.
Don't make me break my boycott to investigate!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Don't make me break my boycott to investigate!
TBH it still worked the same way in '17, so try it there if you still have that lying around on your HDD. . You can just wait for a runner on first situation in Good At-Bat Practice (make sure the 1B is holding the runner on 1st), or go into a regular game, IBB the first batter and switch teams.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #37
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
TBH it still worked the same way in '17, so try it there if you still have that lying around on your HDD. . You can just wait for a runner on first situation in Good At-Bat Practice (make sure the 1B is holding the runner on 1st), or go into a regular game, IBB the first batter and switch teams.
I still have 17, I will check it out. I might have to move to 17. 16 is getting long in the tooth.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
It hasnt been a secret really. Its been this way for a few years now. If you played last years you would know its been there unfortunetly.

I didn't play last years.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
It's an important situational tool they basically stripped from the game. There is a balance that can be achieved. It went from exploit to irrelevant.
Sacrifice bunting works perfectly fine for me. I'm talking about taking most any player with 50+ speed and being able to lay perfect bunts down the lines for easy base hits.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #40
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Yeah, got around to checking it out. There's a little sweet spot between the start of the pitch to the release where you can square up to drop a sac bunt. It's the little window where the pitcher's foot comes up to where the pitcher's movement goes to home.

If you want to get a good look at the window, practice base-stealing from first. You'll see where/when the pitcher is going towards home and when the 1B is coming off the bag.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »