Home

Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #49
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Bunting

I don’t disagree about what has happened to bunting overall. I am not a fan of this “online” band aid”. Because that is exactly what it is. I am pretty sure it is hard to separate this from online and offline in the coding of the game. I am not a code guy or game developer.....so I could be wrong. But if it were possible I would believe SDS would accommodate us in that regard. Since it has not changed.....I believe it is not fixable for offline play.

Bcruise gave an excellent tip and I will add holding the LS down or at 5/7 o clock for trying to angle the bunts down the line as well and try to give it a “dead/soft effect”.

Even when doing all these things....sometimes the harder “rocket” bunt is unavoidable.

I have learned and practiced bunting a lot since this was introduced to the game. Because prior....it was automatic which was not good on the other extreme.

It’s frustrating but it is not impossible at all. Also like Knight Templar when the CPU hit rocket bunt I do not turn the gimme double play. It is the only house rule I have ever employed on the diamond in this game. Where as in Madden I have at least a half a dozen house rules for game play LMFAO.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #50
Rookie

Hipster-Doofus's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I just don't understand why people have such a problem with this vs. the CPU.

I can go into the custom practice and put a runner on first, and sacrifice him over with just about any player by squaring early and pushing a bunt to the first base side - the CPU will nearly always throw to first. You need to hold the button ahead of time before or right after the start of a wind-up - if your player does not square until the pitch is moving then you've waited too long. If you wait too long the game will think you're drag bunting - and it will almost always be a rocket and the CPU WILL throw to 2nd. I won't always get the sac bunt down but it's a pretty high percentage.

That practice mode can mimic actual game situations, so it's going to play out the same way in an actual game.

I agree that bunting for hits is nearly impossible (they need a high drag bunt rating and even then it's a crapshoot), and bunting rarely works vs. another player because they will risk that close play at 2nd every time. But people shouldn't struggle this much with sacrificing vs the CPU.

Ok maybe, but I just don’t understand, why not just make bunting work correctly? Why do we have people in here making excuses for it? U just need to do that, then that, than this and it will work. Maybe not work in general, just in that specific case.That shouldn’t even be a thing, just fix it. I don’t want my bunts the exact same as a well hit line drive. Bunting stats are completely meaningless in this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #51
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster-Doofus
Ok maybe, but I just don’t understand, why not just make bunting work correctly? Why do we have people in here making excuses for it? U just need to do that, then that, than this and it will work. Maybe not work in general, just in that specific case.That shouldn’t even be a thing, just fix it. I don’t want my bunts the exact same as a well hit line drive. Bunting stats are completely meaningless in this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Nobody is making excuses for it. He is trying to help people understand how to bunt in the game this year. Prior to '17, bunting was automatic. It didn't matter who you had attempt a bunt, they would always lay down a perfect, or nearly perfect bunt to either sacrifice the runner over or bunt for a hit.

Nowadays, bunting takes skill, as it should, and the bunt ratings for players actually matter.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
How do you explain the CPU shooting rockets down the line. Big problem in my franchise. I have to use my house rule and not go for the easy double play and just take the out at first.
Not sure why you think I need to explain that when it wasn't even what I was talking about (which was the user being unable to sac bunt). Did you gloss over the part where I said it doesn't work in online because users will make a throw to 2nd that the CPU won't try? It's the same when a user is playing the CPU - they're going to able to throw to 2nd even though the CPU won't do it. I feel like there's always going to be some degree of "house-ruling" when playing single-player to deal with situations like that. It needs to be better - no one's saying anything to the contrary. But in the current state of the game you kinda have to limit yourself to how the CPU does things if you want realistic results.

And, this isn't directed at you, but.....rather discouraging that trying to help people with a problem they're having is now seen as "defending" the game....sad, sad state here on OS.

Last edited by bcruise; 04-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #53
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

I don’t care about online. Bottom line it’s purely what Nemesis says. Bunting is now irrelevant because of cheats on line getting the attention. Nobody is calling you a defender, or anything else. If your “fix” works for you.....it doesn’t work for everyone and probably not most. I have been playing this game for years and I can’t (nor should I have to) jump thru hoops to get it to work because they are appeasing so many childish on line gamers (end justifies the means).

Bunting is fundamental to this game, not staged. Dead horse beat.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
I don’t care about online. Bottom line it’s purely what Nemesis says. Bunting is now irrelevant because of cheats on line getting the attention. Nobody is calling you a defender, or anything else. If your “fix” works for you.....it doesn’t work for everyone and probably not most. I have been playing this game for years and I can’t (nor should I have to) jump thru hoops to get it to work because they are appeasing so many childish on line gamers (end justifies the means).

Bunting is fundamental to this game, not staged. Dead horse beat.
I had someone quote my post (which you liked) that mentioned people "making excuses" for it. How, exactly, am I supposed to take that other than I'm defending the game?

My last post in here. Enjoy your game, or don't.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #55
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I can remember a time when people on OS would ask questions and people would help with issues that others were having and that help was appreciated.

Nowadays, helping someone on OS only gets you ridiculed and labeled as a "defender".

Sad

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #56
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I just don't understand why people have such a problem with this vs. the CPU

Your own quote. Just practice like you. Sorry it doesn’t work that way. I’ll side with SDS. They screwed it up royal for off line, so just live with it. Oh, I don’t need you to tell me to enjoy it.....or not. I’ve been praising the game in the ‘little things’ thread and ‘impressions’ while also noting some problem areas, but this is not excusable and not even defensible (or in your case not understandable).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »