Home

Best Pitches for the different archetypes

This is a discussion on Best Pitches for the different archetypes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #65
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best Pitches for the different archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaurus
I think they have the 2 Seam about right, it is the running fastball that seems to have too much vertical drop, should be more like the cutter with almost all of the movement lateral.
That's makes sense it is supposed to be like the cutter

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #66
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

I'm surprised how little variety the Mets have in terms of helping add pitches. I basically have the option to add a 4 seam, 2 seam, change, and curve ball.

I was hoping someone would have a cutter or a knuckle ball/knuckle curve

Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar121388
I'm surprised how little variety the Mets have in terms of helping add pitches. I basically have the option to add a 4 seam, 2 seam, change, and curve ball.

I was hoping someone would have a cutter or a knuckle ball/knuckle curve

Justin Vargas & Jamie Callahan aren't in your Mets organisation?

A Work in Progress
Old 04-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #68
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Justin Vargas & Jamie Callahan aren't in your Mets organisation?
I'd have to look again but even if they are they aren't on the mlb roster so they won't give me the option for anything else

Old 04-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #69
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

I'm so mad at myself during September call-ups one of the times they had the option to learn a Knuckle-curve from someone and I picked it but because of time constraints I couldn't finish my game and so I turned of the system thinking I'd get the option again when I went back or at least in one of the next training session well the one I was on they didn't offer it the next time and that ended up being my final training session before the end of the year.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #70
Rookie

Kentaurus's Arena

That sucks, I'm actually now incredibly happy with my pitches. As a recap:
Plain Filthy Archetype, Right Handed.

Cutter, Sinker, Circle Change, Curveball, 4-Seam FB.

The Cutter is by far and away my best pitch. I think I use it about 50% of the time. I throw it in all locations, using it as a strikeout pitch to run off of the plate and into lefties, or away from righties as a defacto slider. Seems to be effective thrown almost anywhere.

Sinker is my 2nd most used pitch, and mostly because I shift heavily towards it when I get a runner on first. You have to keep it at the very bottom of the zone, or out of the zone otherwise you will get hit hard. It has been surprisingly effective as a strikeout pitch, thrown almost exactly like you would throw a Changeup for a strikeout (with the ball ending up a good bit below the zone).

The circle change is my 3rd most used pitch, I'll use it on 0-0 counts probably every 5th batter or so, and almost always get them just looking. It is also very effective thrown outside (and tailing) from lefties as well as dropping below the zone against both right and left handed batters. If you leave it up, you better fool them or it gets crushed.

Curveball has really become my least used pitch, though I'm trying to work it back in some. It really shines as a strikeout pitch against righties, thrown more away than down though. I'll occasionally use it early in the count against both left and right trying to backdoor it in for a strike.

4-Seam this really just seemed to fit as the 5th pitch option for me, it gives me another effective option up in the zone to complement the Cutter. Reality is like the cutter, it is effective just about anywhere. I don't have enough velocity on it yet to really rely on it much, so it basically get very limited use typically in drawn out at-bats where I need to try and find something to throw off the batter.

Overall with this setup I feel comfortable against both left and right handed batters with the ability to get them both out and options to strike out both sides.

Pitches to punch out Lefties:
Cutter thrown off the plate running inside. Have hit batters with this and still got the swinging strikeout.
Sinker down below the zone.
Circle Change either below the zone or trailing off the outside edge.
4 Seam up in the zone, especially useful on 2-2 counts after trying a change or sinker low.

Strikeout pitches for righties:
Cutter thrown trailing off the outside edge of the plate (typically top-half of strikezone).
Sinker down below the zone.
Changeup down below the zone.
Curveball outside the zone seems to work better, but generally near that low outside corner will do the job.
4-Seam just like against lefties, up in the zone, especially after trying something soft down.

Last edited by Kentaurus; 04-12-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #71
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar121388
I'm so mad at myself during September call-ups one of the times they had the option to learn a Knuckle-curve from someone and I picked it but because of time constraints I couldn't finish my game and so I turned of the system thinking I'd get the option again when I went back or at least in one of the next training session well the one I was on they didn't offer it the next time and that ended up being my final training session before the end of the year.
Something similar happened to me. I learned the circle change but forgot to save and the option didn’t pop back up when I reloaded. I got sent back to the minors right afterwards too, which would’ve been fine if I had a new pitch to work on
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #72
Rookie

trackstar121388's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseJoseph9119
Something similar happened to me. I learned the circle change but forgot to save and the option didn’t pop back up when I reloaded. I got sent back to the minors right afterwards too, which would’ve been fine if I had a new pitch to work on
Ouch that's rough

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »