Home

CPU Reliever Leash Way too long?

This is a discussion on CPU Reliever Leash Way too long? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #9
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: CPU Reliever Leash Way too long?

Had a reliever for the cpu team come in last night, I only had a 2 run lead when he came in. I ended up dropping 6 runs on him, they still never took him out.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldaddy35
Is anyone else seeing CPU teams giving their relievers way too many batters/innings? In my three franchise teams I have seen relievers go 44, 39, and 47 pitches. These games weren't blowouts either. All were within 3 runs, and all teams had others arms with energy. Is anyone else seeing this?
Thank you! I thought I was the only one, but I didn't want to say anything.

I am only playing the daily games, but the relievers do stay in a long time and a lot of the times they won't get replaced until the 7th or 8th inning. It's really annoying. The CPU bullpen logic is messed up.

It doesn't matter if you're winning or not, the same thing. The dude's energy is damn near gone and he's still in there.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

it is usually only the Long relief guys.

ones with lots of stamina. those spot starter guys

I usually manage the CPU BP myself if I feel the CPU is being a ******, I switch to the other controller make the change. then go back and switch it back, then it is more realistic and not stupid.

CPU BP logic also is a massive issue with the setup guys. they only use the setup guys if they are leading by 1 run in the 8th. when in a close game you should ALWAYS use your best relief guys if it is a 3-3 game or only down 2-1 always use your best guys. but the CPU won't unless they have a 1 run lead. Also in a 3 3 game if you are the home team you should use your closer in the 9th. not a middle average guy.. but the CPU will only use the closer in save situations. they management of it is dumb

Last edited by ninertravel; 04-03-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #12
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
it is usually only the Long relief guys.

This is what I see as well. When a starter gets pulled early and a long relief comes in, he tends to pitch long innings regardless of performance, remaining energy/confidence, and pitch count until the game goes into late innings.

Overall I'm disappointed by the cookie-cutter way CPU manages bullpen (yet again). AI manager really hasn't improved much after all these years. The lack of improvement for so long makes me wonder whoever is coming up with the algorithm really watches any baseball games lately.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 PM   #13
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
This is what I see as well. When a starter gets pulled early and a long relief comes in, he tends to pitch long innings regardless of performance, remaining energy/confidence, and pitch count until the game goes into late innings.

Overall I'm disappointed by the cookie-cutter way CPU manages bullpen (yet again). AI manager really hasn't improved much after all these years. The lack of improvement for so long makes me wonder whoever is coming up with the algorithm really watches any baseball games lately.
Yeah I scored 7 earned off Fister for the Rangers and they kept Chavez in there for about 4 innings his stamina was just about at zero and threw 406 pitches I had score a couple more runs off him too.

won that game 14-6 one of my best offensive games so far. but year it seems to be those spot starter guys with high stamina. I suggest moving the controller over to switch it yourself
Old 04-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #14
MVP

milldaddy35's Arena

I am seeing it when it isn’t even the long reliever. I m seeing it from about the 6th to the 8th inning. No reason to use the long reliever in the first game of the year with a healthy, energized bullpen.

College Football - Iowa Hawkeyes
College Basketball - Iowa Hawkeyes

MLB - Minnesota Twins
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
NFL - New York Jets
NHL - Minnesota Wild
Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 AM   #15
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldaddy35
I am seeing it when it isn’t even the long reliever. I m seeing it from about the 6th to the 8th inning. No reason to use the long reliever in the first game of the year with a healthy, energized bullpen.
I understand... I just commented on how it happens noticeably more often than not with long relievers, but I see that can still happen with other relievers. The AI manager has never really done great job managing substitutions (no concept of lefty/righty match up, poor double switch decisions exhausting in-position players), and managing reliever is just one of the issue. The Show is simply not catching up with the real-life MLB games in this regard.

But increasing the Manager Hook slider does help with the AI manager making more substitutions, so that's one thing you could do to see if things improve.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 AM   #16
All Star

I cant remember a year were this was not some kind of issue.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »