Home

Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18

This is a discussion on Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #17
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Difference between MLB 17 vs MLB 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
The gameplay is 17 was pretty poor.

The gameplay is practically perfect for a video game.

I love all the gameplay changes they have made and also hate practically all the " game mode" decisions they've made.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Idk that I agree it was pretty poor, I absolutely loved 17, I mean you can't go back to it after 18 but it was still a damn good game.

I'm kinda curious about the game modes changes you don't like. Is it season mode being gone?

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
Idk that I agree it was pretty poor, I absolutely loved 17, I mean you can't go back to it after 18 but it was still a damn good game.

I'm kinda curious about the game modes changes you don't like. Is it season mode being gone?
To me the gameplay just wasn't balanced at all. Which I think is very important, one reason I still play Madden 04. It really shined in a few areas but was bad in other areas. That's due to happen when you bring in large new features like the new ball physics.

Yeah season mode was a huge blow, I spent about half my time in that mode and the other half in rtts.

That was big but also some of the small things they have removed. Like I used to be able to attach a profile to a rtts save. Now every time I want to load up a different rtts save I have to set a new default profile or else I'll be playing with different settings. Not very intuitive. Why did they remove it? No idea.

I used to be able to consider the series very customizable and really allow you to play the way you wanted to. That isn't a very accurate statement anymore in my opinion.

It's still a good game, and the gameplay is as best as ever. But I was able to have the time of my life playing games a decade ago, so gameplay has never been the most important thing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

If 18 had Season mode it would be perfect.

As it is, it’s still pretty dang good. The gameplay is so much better in 18. And I liked 17 a lot.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 0

And oh, Earl Hendricks is the only blue, I look forward to he is so entertaining behind the dish. Love the way he calls balls and strikes, so animated and vocal.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #21
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Game is so much better. The ball physics on this year's game are amazing!
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #22
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
They are literally night and day man.

There's no way to go back to 17 after playing 18, and i loved 17 it was the first year I played 162+ game chise. But it holds no candle to 18.

Anybody saying that they are similar, doesn't really know these games. They just see baseball and go oh it's the same.

But that's the only thing 17 and 18 have in common. They are both baseball games, everything else is different.

This right here.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-09-2018, 01:39 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 2

MLB 18 is more polished (I love the MLB stadium scapes played between innings when playing the full broadcast presentation mode) and some of the game play improvements are noticeable. However there are many aspects of MLB 18 that work exactly the same as MLB 17 as well as the earlier versions because the two games share common code. I certainly don't expect SDS to rewrite the game every year. They just slowly evolve it year after year. Now there are certain aspects of MLB 18 RTTS that are driving me crazy. But I can't see myself going back to MLB 17 for RTTS. The game is still installed on my PS4 just in case I do need to go back. But chances are very strong that I am in with MLB 18 until the very end, until MLB 19 is released?
Old 04-09-2018, 02:35 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 5

I am enjoying reading this thread, as I am still on the fence about buying this game. I keep going to the PS store and hovering over the "buy" button, but then go out. My main concern is whether I will end up getting bored of the game in a couple months, as I have done the past few years. I've been an avid The Show player since 2006, and I only do Franchise. For some reason, the past few years, the games grow repetitive and stale and I lose interest after a few months. I don't know if it's because there is just a lack of immersion and variety or what.

I just played a few games in a new Franchise in 2017, and they were fun. But still there is something lacking. Perhaps it's because I fiddled with the sliders but never got to realistic results (still way too many strikeouts by my pitchers and not enough walks on either side).

My questions are:
1) Is there a noticeable difference between elite players and regular players in 2018?
2) I've read people talking about how fielding is so much better. I always thought the fielding in 2017 was great. How is it better in 2018?
3) Are people able to get realistic results (i.e., walks on both sides of the ball, a lot of Ks with aces but less so with worse pitchers, hit variety, game score variety, etc.)? If so, which slider sets do you use?

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »