Home

How do you develop a new position

This is a discussion on How do you develop a new position within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: How do you develop a new position

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokines3
I wish you could choose any other position as a secondary position. You can't make a 1B have a second position of SS or CF etc... Makes it tough when they are inaccurate with the positions of utility players, as they often are. This has been an issue for YEARS...
Interesting...I never noticed this. Are you sure? I know yesterday in 17 in my final preseason options I sent a first baseman (primary position) down although i debated because he was also listed as a left fielder for the secondary position. Now I don't think I did this and he is a rookie (drafted in 15 I believe) but this may be his draft attributes. Now I'll have to check this out tonight.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
Rookie

smokines3's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
Interesting...I never noticed this. Are you sure? I know yesterday in 17 in my final preseason options I sent a first baseman (primary position) down although i debated because he was also listed as a left fielder for the secondary position. Now I don't think I did this and he is a rookie (drafted in 15 I believe) but this may be his draft attributes. Now I'll have to check this out tonight.
Positive. The programmers are the only ones who can have a player with a completely customized set of secondary positions. You'll have some options like LF or IF for your first baseman, but not all positions are available.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Positive. The programmers are the only ones who can have a player with a completely customized set of secondary positions. You'll have some options like LF or IF for your first baseman, but not all positions are available.
You can select SS as a second position for a 1B, unless I'm misunderstanding.

There ARE some combos you can't do...like LF/C/3B that only they could make.

But here's my fictional 1B with the game letting me set SS as secondary position (see attached).

I can't do SS/RF or SS/OF. But I can do plain SS.

Honestly, though, I wish they'd just open up a menu with C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF with checkboxes and you can just pick what you want. If they can make someone like Zobrist with every position except catcher, why can't we? What would break if we could?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MLB(R) The Show(TM) 18_1.jpg (118.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by KBLover; 04-13-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
Rookie

smokines3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
You can select SS as a second position for a 1B, unless I'm misunderstanding.

There ARE some combos you can't do...like LF/C/3B that only they could make.

But here's my fictional 1B with the game letting me set SS as secondary position (see attached).

I can't do SS/RF or SS/OF. But I can do plain SS.
Correct. I was just using it as an example. For instance, take Jose Reyes on the Mets. Primary position is 3B I believe... Second positions are 3B, 2B and LF. You can't add CF to that however. If you change the second positions and save it, you also cannot go back to the customized original set.
This has literally been my biggest pet peeve with the game since it's first year...
Old 04-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Correct. I was just using it as an example. For instance, take Jose Reyes on the Mets. Primary position is 3B I believe... Second positions are 3B, 2B and LF. You can't add CF to that however. If you change the second positions and save it, you also cannot go back to the customized original set.
This has literally been my biggest pet peeve with the game since it's first year...
OK understand now what was being said and makes sense. I know 18 is supposed to give you a penalty for playing players out of position...outside of catcher I'm not sure if there are such penalties in 17. To avoid concerns I will look for some players who have decent fielding attributes and if needed in my franchise will edit the secondary positions to "IF" or "OF" or IF/OF.

Ideally they'd develop an algorithm such that playing time in a new position can develop into a secondary position. I don't know if they have that in OOTP. I know in Football Manager you can train players to develop new positions in the game. Maybe it is too restrictive on consoles based on computing power. If we can't develop, giving us the freedom able to edit and assign independent ratings for the new secondary positions would work for me.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Ideally they'd develop an algorithm such that playing time in a new position can develop into a secondary position. I don't know if they have that in OOTP.
That's literally how OOTP does it.

You play a guy there. As he gains experience, his positional rating will go up, with how fast it goes up relating directly to his raw defensive skills (IF range/errors/arm/DP for infielders, including pitchers, OF range/error/arm for outfielders, catching ability/catcher arm for catchers)

Even if you edit the position in (give him playing time at the position in the editor), the above still applies.

The only "penalty" for being "out of position" is how ever long it takes him to get his rating up. A top tier SS will take to 2B far faster than a borderline 1B, who might not even get a rating at 2B, even with lots of playing time.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
Rookie

smokines3's Arena

Quote:
OK understand now what was being said and makes sense. I know 18 is supposed to give you a penalty for playing players out of position...outside of catcher I'm not sure if there are such penalties in 17. To avoid concerns I will look for some players who have decent fielding attributes and if needed in my franchise will edit the secondary positions to "IF" or "OF" or IF/OF.

Ideally they'd develop an algorithm such that playing time in a new position can develop into a secondary position. I don't know if they have that in OOTP. I know in Football Manager you can train players to develop new positions in the game. Maybe it is too restrictive on consoles based on computing power. If we can't develop, giving us the freedom able to edit and assign independent ratings for the new secondary positions would work for me.
I was under the impression 17 was the first year with the penalties? I could be wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
I was under the impression 17 was the first year with the penalties? I could be wrong.

I've always read that secondary was -20% effectiveness and not listed was like -40%. That's been in for a while I believe.

The new penalties that have become very punitive are new to this year's game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »