Home

Only opposite field hits?

This is a discussion on Only opposite field hits? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Only opposite field hits?

I'm a veteran show player and this year I'm noticing a ton of opposite field hits. Even when I get good contact and good timing its still an opposite field hit. I use zone hitting and my pitch speed is at 4. Any ideas why this is happening? It never been an issue in the past.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Only opposite field hits?

for me it's same as last year, a lot of opposite field hits. Even when swinging early
Old 04-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
Rookie

fakingmysuicide's Arena

Timing is relative to where the pitch is located. So if the pitch is outside your good timing window is actually slightly later than a pitch down the middle. I find that pulling pitches for hits is easier than years past on pitches outside.

I would recommend sitting on fastballs either down the middle or slightly inside and just keep swinging earlier and earlier until you get the results you want. Remember that if the pitch is inside then your good timing window is earlier than a pitch down the middle or outside.

Outside of that there might be a problem with your setup and slight input lag.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I've had a great balance of hits between opposite field, up the middle, and pulled.

Fakingmysuicide (hell of a name ) has a great tip about sitting on fastballs. That is what I do primarily, since I know that I have "time" to react to an offspeed pitch if the pitcher throws one.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

For me it was because the default timing window funnels your hits that way. You can be late and the bat speed picks up and your mind knows this, there's little danger of striking out if you're late.

You might try turning the timing slider down a bit. On 17 I had them at 2, you can find your own number. It also helps you strike out more if you're hard to strikeout because you can't just sit late, it forces you to be more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Operation Sports mobile app

- Rick Wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I've had a great balance of hits between opposite field, up the middle, and pulled.

Fakingmysuicide (hell of a name ) has a great tip about sitting on fastballs. That is what I do primarily, since I know that I have "time" to react to an offspeed pitch if the pitcher throws one.
Is this "fakingmysuicide" guy here on the forums, or is this a YouTube channel County boy? It be interested in checking out this thread or video
Old 04-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Is this "fakingmysuicide" guy here on the forums, or is this a YouTube channel County boy? It be interested in checking out this thread or video
He's a member on OS.

His post is one right above mine.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

I've had a lot more this year too. For me, the biggest difference from past versions (I did not play 17) is that its now MUCH, MUCH harder to get solid hits on high fastballs than it ever was before. Now, even when I time it up perfectly, the ball is often hit to the opposite field if its just slightly inside or outside.

Balls seem to now need to be fully within the middle of the zone to be able to pull.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »