Home

Managing bullpen and mound visits for the AI...??

This is a discussion on Managing bullpen and mound visits for the AI...?? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Managing bullpen and mound visits for the AI...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I don't think it is tied to the number of pitches. I successfully used a mound visit the other day in a MoM game during the 1st inning when the Nationals were beating up on my Rockies starter. But you need to be careful when and who you use them on. If you come out too early, it will make the pitchers confidence even worse. I usually wait until they have given up several hits or runs where their confidence is at 50% or less. But I have also noticed that a number of the veterans in my bullpen never react positively to mound visits. I am sure it's not every veteran in the game. I just know that there are a handful of the veterans on my team that mound visits have never worked on, so I just leave them be or pull them from the game.
That's interesting. Maybe it is a combination of pitches/stamina and confidence level. I like the current way the devs have it programmed although they should have the cpu do mound visits also because I almost feel as though I'm gaining an unfair advantage - and if the cpu did mound visits we could perhaps figure out what the code is behind when to do one.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
MVP

forme95's Arena

I have to add though, I have seen the cut scene where the pitching coach comes out and talks to the pitcher for the cpu. Never paid attention if the cpu pitcher gained confidence or anything from it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
That's interesting. Maybe it is a combination of pitches/stamina and confidence level. I like the current way the devs have it programmed although they should have the cpu do mound visits also because I almost feel as though I'm gaining an unfair advantage - and if the cpu did mound visits we could perhaps figure out what the code is behind when to do one.
Yes we do have an advantage over our CPU opponents, at least in MoM game play when it comes to mound visits. The CPU does send their pitching coach out there, but I have never seen it have an affect the pitcher's confidence. Advantage human.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I don't believe it is tied to pitch counts. Its more tied to confidence. I will NEVER do a mound visit if his confidence is over 50%.
Interesting, I usually tie it to the game situation and if he's starting to look like he's losing it completely, even with decent confidence.

Last game I played, my ace had 75% or so confidence but had given up a couple ringing hits (it was at like 90% as he was cruising along after giving up a couple early unearned runs) to put runners in scoring position. I did a visit and his confidence shot up to almost full.

He ended up getting a pop up and a strike out to get out of the inning unscathed.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Yes we do have an advantage over our CPU opponents, at least in MoM game play when it comes to mound visits. The CPU does send their pitching coach out there, but I have never seen it have an affect the pitcher's confidence. Advantage human.
I use fast play and don't see the between pitch animations so maybe that's why I never see cpu mound visits. Since the devs know exactly how it is programmed it would be interesting to track the mound visits and try to determine the logic but since it takes too long to play a game with anything other than fast play I'll leave it to someone else to do the research.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Guess that's to even up the "Don't call it a comeback " code
😁

A Work in Progress
Old 04-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I use fast play and don't see the between pitch animations so maybe that's why I never see cpu mound visits. Since the devs know exactly how it is programmed it would be interesting to track the mound visits and try to determine the logic but since it takes too long to play a game with anything other than fast play I'll leave it to someone else to do the research.
I dont use fast play ever and i have not seen one mound visits by the CPU this year.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #24
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
I have to add though, I have seen the cut scene where the pitching coach comes out and talks to the pitcher for the cpu. Never paid attention if the cpu pitcher gained confidence or anything from it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
I dont use fast play ever and i have not seen one mound visits by the CPU this year.
I have seen mound visits by the cpu but they are rare. So rare in fact I don't have any idea what the logic is or when it happened.

It's very annoying how poorly the AI is in this department as well as the whole deal of managing the bullpen. And doesn't appear there is any way to fix it so I'll continue switching controller over to do all of it myself for them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »