Home

Managers/Coaching Improvements I'd like to see

This is a discussion on Managers/Coaching Improvements I'd like to see within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Managers/Coaching Improvements I'd like to see

One of the things that I've been wishing for/asking for to be improved in the game is how the managers/coaches are represented and their impact on both the game on the field and the roster.

While I have been requesting changes, I've never really laid out what it is that I would like to see and allow the community to provide their thoughts, ideas, and opinions, so that SDS could actually see what we as a community would like to see instead of just "improve this" types of posts.

First and foremost, please allow us to edit coaches/managers in the same manner we can edit players. Name, looks, age, bio, and allow us to edit their ratings that I'm going to list below that I'd like to see added to the game.

Here is a breakdown of attributes/areas that I would like to see each class of coach/manager have in the game.

MANAGERS

Shift - How likely they are to utilize the shift that has become popular in baseball.

Hit & Run - How likely they are to use the hit and run.

Stealing - How aggressive they are on the basepaths

Small ball/long ball - How likely they are to use small ball to move runners or if they are more likely to try to use the long ball to get runs on the board

Pitcher Hook - How quickly they go out and get a pitcher whether he is struggling or due to pitch count.

Lefty/Righty matchup - How likely a manager is to use his bullpen to get lefty/righty matchups or does he go with his best reliever

Lineup changes - How likely is a manager to change his lineup based on performance. Does he move guys around to try to jumpstart bats or does he stick with "traditional" lineups

HITTING COACH

Contact - How well he can get guys to make contact

Vision - How well he influences a hitter's plate vision

Discipline - How well he influences a hitter's plate discipline

** Really looking for ideas on hitting coach attributes **

PITCHING COACH

Develop new pitches - How well a pitching coach can help a pitcher develop new pitches

Develop current pitches - How well a pitching coach can help a pitcher get better with his current arsenal

Motivator/Calmer - Not sure what to call this. But how well a pitching coach can calm down and/or motivate a struggling pitcher in game.

** Need other ideas **

FARM DIRECTOR

Develop talent - How well a farm director can develop talent at the minor league level.

**Open to other ideas **

BASE COACHES

Pickoff recognition - How well a base coach can help a runner recognize a pitcher's pick off move.

Stealing - This would work with pick off recognition, but how well a base coach can time a pitcher's delivery to help successful steal attempts.

Agressiveness - How aggressive a base coach is at sending runners while ball in play.

I would also like to see the addition of:

Bench Coaches
Minor League Managers
Minor League Coaches (Hitting, Pitching, and Base)

That is all I have for now. I'm really hoping that the community can help expand on my list and make any additions/corrections/suggestions to help the devs understand what we would like to see and maybe give them ideas on how to implement this for us franchise nuts.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Managers/Coaching Improvements I'd like to see

for aesthetic purposes I'd also like to be able to edit the name of each teams GM
and in that vein, editable owner names, maybe receive emails from him on your teams performance

A Work in Progress
Old 05-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0

I like the idea but I fear they'd have to do a complete revamp of the training system to get it to work, and I just can't see them doing that. I would love it though if they did as it would give teams a personality that they currently lack and actually make coaches do something other than just affect morale based on their fairly arbitrary overall letter rating (I'm convinced those power +1 ratings do nothing at all)

It would be great if coaches had the ability to influence player development, so some might be better at coaching power, others contact, or some might make young players increase quicker while others slow the regression of older players. once you get into it it has so much potential.

The manager traits would also be great for different teams, so teams like the Yankees would have traits that make them more likely to take on big contracts, sign big names etc etc, whereas someone like the A's traits could make them mvre likely to trade away stars for prospects, avoid free agency, that sort of thing. Anything that makes the different teams more different would be a huge plus

Last edited by BigOscar; 05-05-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Make the coaches editable. Make a window (like we see the free agents when the rosters are released) so that we can import them, completely edit them. I don't know who does the faces for these coach choices, but I think they went to an ugly convention.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Ok....sorry for the bump but the further I get into my carryover franchise the more frustrating it becomes that managers seem to mean so very little in this game. Also the fact that I can't edit them and have no idea who some of the managers are for other teams since there is no place to view another team's staff if you do single team control in franchise.

I am really, really, really hoping that managers get some very much needed TLC in MLB The Show '19. At the very least, please allow us to view the staffs of other organizations and please remove the jackets from created managers when the weather doesn't call for them.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Rookie

why they still have drag bunting as an attribute for a manager or coach is beyond me.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Ok....sorry for the bump but the further I get into my carryover franchise the more frustrating it becomes that managers seem to mean so very little in this game. Also the fact that I can't edit them and have no idea who some of the managers are for other teams since there is no place to view another team's staff if you do single team control in franchise.

I am really, really, really hoping that managers get some very much needed TLC in MLB The Show '19. At the very least, please allow us to view the staffs of other organizations and please remove the jackets from created managers when the weather doesn't call for them.
seems like such a little thing to do, it could be done in less time than went into retromode. maybe if people who play DD start to clamor for it, it'll get done.

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 08-06-2018 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
One of the things that I've been wishing for/asking for to be improved in the game is how the managers/coaches are represented and their impact on both the game on the field and the roster.

While I have been requesting changes, I've never really laid out what it is that I would like to see and allow the community to provide their thoughts, ideas, and opinions, so that SDS could actually see what we as a community would like to see instead of just "improve this" types of posts.

First and foremost, please allow us to edit coaches/managers in the same manner we can edit players. Name, looks, age, bio, and allow us to edit their ratings that I'm going to list below that I'd like to see added to the game.

Here is a breakdown of attributes/areas that I would like to see each class of coach/manager have in the game.

MANAGERS

Shift - How likely they are to utilize the shift that has become popular in baseball.

Hit & Run - How likely they are to use the hit and run.

Stealing - How aggressive they are on the basepaths

Small ball/long ball - How likely they are to use small ball to move runners or if they are more likely to try to use the long ball to get runs on the board

Pitcher Hook - How quickly they go out and get a pitcher whether he is struggling or due to pitch count.

Lefty/Righty matchup - How likely a manager is to use his bullpen to get lefty/righty matchups or does he go with his best reliever

Lineup changes - How likely is a manager to change his lineup based on performance. Does he move guys around to try to jumpstart bats or does he stick with "traditional" lineups

HITTING COACH

Contact - How well he can get guys to make contact

Vision - How well he influences a hitter's plate vision

Discipline - How well he influences a hitter's plate discipline

** Really looking for ideas on hitting coach attributes **

PITCHING COACH

Develop new pitches - How well a pitching coach can help a pitcher develop new pitches

Develop current pitches - How well a pitching coach can help a pitcher get better with his current arsenal

Motivator/Calmer - Not sure what to call this. But how well a pitching coach can calm down and/or motivate a struggling pitcher in game.

** Need other ideas **

FARM DIRECTOR

Develop talent - How well a farm director can develop talent at the minor league level.

**Open to other ideas **

BASE COACHES

Pickoff recognition - How well a base coach can help a runner recognize a pitcher's pick off move.

Stealing - This would work with pick off recognition, but how well a base coach can time a pitcher's delivery to help successful steal attempts.

Agressiveness - How aggressive a base coach is at sending runners while ball in play.

I would also like to see the addition of:

Bench Coaches
Minor League Managers
Minor League Coaches (Hitting, Pitching, and Base)

That is all I have for now. I'm really hoping that the community can help expand on my list and make any additions/corrections/suggestions to help the devs understand what we would like to see and maybe give them ideas on how to implement this for us franchise nuts.
YES X1000. Bullpen Coaches and Assistant Hitting Coaches would be great additions as well!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »