Home

Talk me into/out of buying The Show 18

This is a discussion on Talk me into/out of buying The Show 18 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should I buy The Show 18
Yes, it's a fantastic game 22 68.75%
I'd wait till next year 6 18.75%
No, it's not worth the money 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
MVP

saintrules's Arena

OVR: 0
Talk me into/out of buying The Show 18

Last bought the show in 2016 & played through a full 162 game season. Enjoyed it, thoroughly, but didn't buy it last year because I didn't feel any significant changes were made. Bought Madden 18, ended up getting disgusted with the repackaged product & insane emphasis on MUT, so I sold the game & called it quits with my PS4 since The Show was all I played & didn't even buy it in 2017.

So, now we're here. I am a die hard baseball fan & am in quite the conundrum when it comes to The Show 18. I know I am going to enjoy playing the game, but I can't quite see the light and wrap my head around buying another PS4 and the game just to enjoy it. I will solely play Franchise mode and maybe RTTS at most, never Diamond Dynasty or online play.

My question is: is it worth it? Those of you with the game & whom are currently playing through a Franchise, I'd appreciate your response. I understand this is a "situational" answer and I am sure I'll get a few "if you think it's a good idea", but just put yourself in my shoes and try to throw in an answer based on what you know after playing the game. I can't tell if I am just having insane "Fear of Missing Out" or I am actually missing on a quality game. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
Rookie

Yari's Arena

Re: Talk me into/out of buying The Show 18

If you're mostly a franchise mode player, I would recommend that you give OOTP 19 a whirl. Let me be clear that all I know of MLB the Show 18 is what I've seen from dev streams and occasionally reading posts here, I do not own this year's game. The changes that I saw to franchise mode for MLB the Show 18 were unimpressive to me. The Phases addition is basically fancy outlook reminders to keep you on task regarding what part of the season that you are in. They made retro mode available in franchise mode, so if you're into that you'll have that mode available. However, to my knowledge there is (or was) a nasty bug where if the world series ended before October 25th then the user could not do any offseason tasks unless they set those tasks to auto.

As for RTTS, while I feel that the new player archetypes are neat and that progression is now tied to how well you perform is a welcome change (no more training points). However, those archetypes each have attribute caps that can be exceeded by equipment bonuses. So for newly created players this isn't so much of an issue, however, it does mean that you cannot be a straight 99 attribute player no matter how hard you work.

Overall, I would say it's not worth it this year for someone who mainly plays offline (especially a franchise player), as most of the focus seems to have been put into Diamond Dynasty and the new legends.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I normally hate these threads and just skip over them but I'll try to answer as best I can. I don't play much franchise but from the littlw bit I looked at, it's generally the same. Way nicer looking and I'm sure there is some new stuff but not a lot so if you hated the old franchise or are on the bubble it's not worth getting. If you enjoyed the franchise in its state from bwfore, you'll enjoy this one too.

Game play depends on offline and online in my opinion. If you only play offline, the game plays fairly well aside from some stupid things that are annoying and not too bad. Nothing game breaking. However, online is a horror show. Pci messed up, weird oddities and whatnot cause the game to play different than the offline portion.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
MVP

saintrules's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yari
If you're mostly a franchise mode player, I would recommend that you give OOTP 19 a whirl. Let me be clear that all I know of MLB the Show 18 is what I've seen from dev streams and occasionally reading posts here, I do not own this year's game. The changes that I saw to franchise mode for MLB the Show 18 were unimpressive to me. The Phases addition is basically fancy outlook reminders to keep you on task regarding what part of the season that you are in. They made retro mode available in franchise mode, so if you're into that you'll have that mode available. However, to my knowledge there is (or was) a nasty bug where if the world series ended before October 25th then the user could not do any offseason tasks unless they set those tasks to auto.

As for RTTS, while I feel that the new player archetypes are neat and that progression is now tied to how well you perform is a welcome change (no more training points). However, those archetypes each have attribute caps that can be exceeded by equipment bonuses. So for newly created players this isn't so much of an issue, however, it does mean that you cannot be a straight 99 attribute player no matter how hard you work.

Overall, I would say it's not worth it this year for someone who mainly plays offline (especially a franchise player), as most of the focus seems to have been put into Diamond Dynasty and the new legends.
Appreciate the response. I've done research on OOTP 19 and it does intrigue me. Easily the biggest positive is that it's on steam so I don't have to shell out $$$ for a PS4. In regards to that game, I am curious if you get the same immersion with a team since you can't ever physically see the guys you have, sign, or groom. It's partially like playing ESPN Fantasy Baseball, in my opinion, not saying that's a good or bad thing.

As for The Show 18, it seems as though there's not a lot that's changed since The Show 16, aside from streamlining tasks, which won't do all that much for me.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules
Last bought the show in 2016 & played through a full 162 game season. Enjoyed it, thoroughly, but didn't buy it last year because I didn't feel any significant changes were made. Bought Madden 18, ended up getting disgusted with the repackaged product & insane emphasis on MUT, so I sold the game & called it quits with my PS4 since The Show was all I played & didn't even buy it in 2017.

So, now we're here. I am a die hard baseball fan & am in quite the conundrum when it comes to The Show 18. I know I am going to enjoy playing the game, but I can't quite see the light and wrap my head around buying another PS4 and the game just to enjoy it. I will solely play Franchise mode and maybe RTTS at most, never Diamond Dynasty or online play.

My question is: is it worth it? Those of you with the game & whom are currently playing through a Franchise, I'd appreciate your response. I understand this is a "situational" answer and I am sure I'll get a few "if you think it's a good idea", but just put yourself in my shoes and try to throw in an answer based on what you know after playing the game. I can't tell if I am just having insane "Fear of Missing Out" or I am actually missing on a quality game. Thanks.

It's very easy to answer. Franchise mode is the same as 16 but IMO with a better interface and fresher look. Lot's of under the hood tuning was done though. If you go 4-5 years deep and then want to start a new one....your good. However there are some legacy issues with longer term franchises. It is not perfect. But very playable. Especially with 30 team control.

The gameplay and presentation is vastly superior to MLB 16. If you are a die hard baseball fan and diehard console baseball gamer you owe it to yourself to experience hands down the best playing console baseball game ever made to date.

If all you are interested in is GM/front office stuff and not playing the actual game...OOTPB is where you should go. It is a text simulation and very deep in that regard. But you are comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different games.

One is a video game the other is a text sim. I play both. But I can tell you nothing...absolutely nothing brings me closer to actually playing baseball like The Show 18.

Been playing and coaching baseball for 44 years. This is the best baseball game ever made if you love to actually play. Pitcher AI has never been better and the batter/pitcher showdown is a thing of beauty. The ball physics are at a new level. The fielding and throwing animations are at a new level.

Now also keep in mind I approach gameplay from a simulation frame of mind playing with a totally clean screen, auto fielding and manual throwing using classic pitching and directional hitting. I am getting simply amazing games and having the time of my life with my various franchises and classic roster seasons.

Go for it.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
MVP

saintrules's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
It's very easy to answer. Franchise mode is the same as 16 but IMO with a better interface and fresher look. Lot's of under the hood tuning was done though. If you go 4-5 years deep and then want to start a new one....your good. However there are some legacy issues with longer term franchises. It is not perfect. But very playable. Especially with 30 team control.

The gameplay and presentation is vastly superior to MLB 16. If you are a die hard baseball fan and diehard console baseball gamer you owe it to yourself to experience hands down the best playing console baseball game ever made to date.

If all you are interested in is GM/front office stuff and not playing the actual game...OOTPB is where you should go. It is a text simulation and very deep in that regard. But you are comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different games.

One is a video game the other is a text sim. I play both. But I can tell you nothing...absolutely nothing brings me closer to actually playing baseball like The Show 18.

Been playing and coaching baseball for 44 years. This is the best baseball game ever made if you love to actually play. Pitcher AI has never been better and the batter/pitcher showdown is a thing of beauty. The ball physics are at a new level. The fielding and throwing animations are at a new level.

Now also keep in mind I approach gameplay from a simulation frame of mind playing with a totally clean screen, auto fielding and manual throwing using classic pitching and directional hitting. I am getting simply amazing games and having the time of my life with my various franchises and classic roster seasons.

Go for it.
Couldn't ask more for a response, really appreciate it buddy. Big fan of your sliders/thoughts on the game, dating back to when I did play The Show in 16. I'll probably reread this response a couple of times, but this does nail down exactly what I was hoping to see in a response.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I'm going with a situational answer. It depends what is most important to you.

The gameplay experience is the best it's ever been, hands down. Most of the improvements are subtle, and some legacy issues still exist, but they proc less often and overall it is very possible (with sliders) to have a very organic feeling game. The bat on ball feel is the very best it's ever been, and fielding, while not as improved as they claim, is very smooth this year.

Graphically it's also a big improvement, especially over 16 and even more especially if you have a pro. That framerate is buttery smooth and that makes a huge difference, and if you have an HDR capable tv...

However in terms of modes and options the game has regressed this year. Franchise mode "improvements" are beyond pathetic. The new RttS style is divisive at best. No Season mode, no Online Franchise, all of the focus is on the "game as a service" mode that is DD.

I'm an offline only franchise only player, and yeah this year we kind of got ignored and taken for granted, but I'm still thoroughly enjoying the game.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Gameplay wise MLB The Show 18 is by far the best playing baseball game that I’ve ever played.

Franchise mode may not have received sexy back of the feature that everyone is talking about but the fixes for some of the past issues is very welcomed addition as a long time franchise player.

My experience thus far has been that the improved logic and roster building has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »