Home

I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me

This is a discussion on I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #17
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me

I've done some coding but never a video game. In my very rookie coding opinion, I think it would be very difficult to program a 'comeback' AI script. The game may be coded in a way to increase competitiveness of the CPU team, and that may be seen by some as a comeback type code. Kind like if you were playing a #10 ranked team with a #1 ranked team, then it would adjust the competitive rating to more of a 7 to 3 scale instead of 10 to 1. I hope that makes sense since I'm a bit h*gh right now.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #18
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me

You know comeback AI may be in the game. Boston at the Yankees. I'm up 4-0 on the Yanks when all the sudden in the 7th inning, the game won't let me find the strike zone and the bases are loaded with 1 out. I bring in Joe Kelly and he walks Brett Gardner to make it 4-1. Next batter is Judge who just happens to hit a seeing eyed single between SS and 3B to make it 4-2. Then Didi hits a soft bouncer to Nunez at 2nd who can only get an out at 2nd instead of an inning ending double play. thus allowing the runner on 3rd to score to make it 4-3. Then with men on the corners and 2 outs, the game decides that I'm going to throw a wild pitch allowing the tying run to cross the plate to make it 4-4.

Comeback AI is alive and.....oh wait this really happened!!!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #19
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I've stopped playing all other video games at this point, opting for 1-3 games in my Mets franchise each night after work. I'm 54 games into Year 1 playing every pitch (I do use Quick Counts) and having an absolute blast. I had grown disillusioned with The Show the past few years, but this game has complety grabbed my attention. The gameplay is smooth and the visuals on my PS4 Pro and 4KTV are great.

I loved the game out of the box (well, digital download, but you know what I mean) and after all the patches, still love the game.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #20
Banned

a bit outside's Arena

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4CC7FBD1-B7CB-4916-BC5E-4FF2FDDC3B51.jpeg (186.1 KB, 261 views)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I had grown disillusioned with The Show the past few years, but this game has complety grabbed my attention. The gameplay is smooth and the visuals on my PS4 Pro and 4KTV are great.
Exactly how I felt. The last couple years I haven't really looked forward to the game AT ALL. It had gotten stale, the presentation really waning. Presentation and gameplay has really stepped up and you're right about the PRO and 4K tv.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 27

You surprisingly forgot to mention that you play on Legend. That shocked me more than the post itself.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 2

There is no comeback code in the game. If there was I never would have won my MoM Franchise game last night after an early 4-1 lead followed by another 5-2 lead in the middle of the game before the final score of 8-2. Baseball is just a wacky sport where while it is not common, it is possible to score 9 runs or more in one inning. I have seen it happen in this game and have seen it happen in the real world.

I was initially very disappointed they removed Season mode without tell us because this had a direct effect on yours truly since I was planning on carrying forward a Season file I had started in MLB 17. But I got over it and I moved on. I am presently a little disappointed that wild pitches are still as problematic as they have always been and there are tons of other annoyances in the game that I wish they would address. But other than that, I love this game. I have 5 different RTTS characters in the works and I have my MoM Franchise going as well. I have not fired up any other games on my PS4 with the exception of MLB 17 since MLB 18 was released and as much as I was tempted to buy Far Cry 5, it's because I have so much time invested in MLB 18 and still more time is needed to see out my RTTS characters and my Franchise MoM Season (which will all be carried over into MLB 19), that I think Far Cry 5 will just have to wait for some time in the future (like when it goes on sale ... haha).

Last edited by My993C2; 05-11-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #24
Rookie

stanimal032's Arena

OVR: 1

Hitting seems to be way different from release. I was hitting about as well as I usually do at release and since the patches I can't hit worth a damn.

I play RTTS. My guy is a beast of a catcher, but his hitting is still a little suspect. I got called up by the Marlins (probably too early, but nothing I can change) so my hitting stats (vision/clutch/contact/power) are all 55-60.

I KNOW that's not good enough to be in the pros, but now I can't hit. I can't hit, so I don't add stats to hitting. Since I don't add stats to hitting, I still can't hit. It's a vicious cycle.

Same approach at the plate that has worked for me for 10+ years before anyone says I just need to get better. When I do square one up, it's right at a player or a pitcher. I seriously had 5 potential hits blast off the pitcher's face and I got thrown out within a 2 game period last night.

Again, I get that I'm under-leveled at this point in the pros, but in the past I could put points that I get from defense/baserunning into hitting to get better and I have no chance to do that this year.

Pretty frustrating.

At release I was hitting > .280 as I always do. In my second season (first in the MLB) I'm sitting at like .140. Even when I guess pitch & location and swing perfectly I'm popping up or grounding out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »