Home

I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me

This is a discussion on I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #57
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
Theres always going to be a gap in this discussion because people dont play on the same difficulty levels. The shenanigans that plague this game, happen frequently on the harder levels.

And to exacerbate the gap, sometimes the level they're on, or even the sliders they're using, don't fit the users skill set. It's so hard to get sliders dialed in, this is where a lot of frustration stems from. It's why I love dynamic difficulty so much. I set sliders where I want them, then I let the game levels adjust to me instead of the other way around.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #58
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist

In other games you hit your target, or hit the wide open guy and you see the positive result. Thats not always the case here and that frustrates some people. I love the randomness of baseball, and the show does a fine job of replicating that, but im also understanding of how frustrating that can be for other people, myself included.
This is very true... the fact that The Show has been a fairly good simulation game of baseball actually works against itself, since the game also replicates the real-life like moments of frustrations (which many people just cannot suck up).

And it's still a very difficult question that a consumer-oriented simulation game must face.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoy realistic frustrations... it's a simulation game after all. I am tired of those discussions and rarely chime in any more after all these years of sameness and repetitions of unfounded accusations. User feedback like this does not really improve the game in any meaningful way.

And sometimes the developers end up putting much effort just to prove to us that the game is not making some wonky things happen by intention of cheating. Like all those swing feedback "improvements" this year that just end up cluttering the screen when you are at bat? I don't find things being better (nor much worse for that matter) with the extra swing feedback visuals, and it just looks like the devs are making an excuse. I think those were introduced precisely because (now mostly online) gamers complained incessantly about their hitting not yielding in results satisfying to their feelings.

I think that is the misguided future effort that the feedback like these in this thread might lead to.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #59
Rookie

Frostball's Arena

OVR: 0

All I know is that the hitting doesn't feel the same as it did when I first got the game

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 05-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #60

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
When the game first came out, I absolutely LOVED it. Hitting felt real. The ball seemed to actually go where it should based on my swing feedback. Home runs felt earned. Everything was on point and I was loving it.

However, after the last few patches, it just seems like Show 17.5 again. The wild pitches are once again out of control. Catchers are MUCH quicker to the ball, but the runners get SUCH good jumps that you can't throw them out regardless. The rainbow throws are back. Rocket bunts are still a force out at second base regularly. Home runs going foul by two inches are back. CPU making web gems whenever they want are back. The outfield grass seems slower again, so those hard hit balls down the line that were PERFECT when the game was first released are now back to being like last year, when they slow down and result in singles. Hitting seems back to last year where the swing feedback means nothing. Home runs don't feel earned anymore, they feel handed to you. Hitting in general seems off again, like the user input isn't being taken into consideration enough and the game is dictating hit result. And the CPU rallies seem COMPLETELY fabricated again. Take this example last game.

I'm locked in a 1-1 game with the Blue Jays. Eighth inning, Judge hits a homer and I go up 2-1. I was 3-0 at the time so I just KNEW something was going to happen. Next half inning, I bring in Robertson as the setup man. First batter can of corn, one out. Next batter is Pillar, clean single. He steals second. Next batter fielders choice, Pillar goes to third, two outs. Donaldson is up. I know the propensity for throwing wild pitches in this situation is ABSURDLY high in this game, so I am intentionally keeping the ball high and on the corners to prevent a wild pitch. Second pitch of the at bat, aiming high and outside, ball somehow bounces in dirt and scoots away from Sanchez. The ball got maybe 2 feet away from Sanchez, certainly not far enough to try to score, but Pillar takes off. Sanchez runs to the ball and I underhand the ball to my pitcher who SHOULD be covering, but for some reason, he decided he didn't want to on this particular pitch and the run scores. Situations like this feel completely scripted, as in there's almost NOTHING you can do to prevent the CPU from scoring and it's why the age old comeback discussion has come up every single year.

Has anyone else noticed this regression since the patches have been released?
Another complaint about comeback code? You do this once a month.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #61
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostball
All I know is that the hitting doesn't feel the same as it did when I first got the game

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Agree....it's even better.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
To be fair to the OP, this thread is basically a comeback AI thread disguised as a thread complaining about the patches.
I expect nothing more in terms of reading comprehension from you. This thread has nothing to do with comeback AI and in retrospect I shouldn't have mentioned it in the OP. This thread is about patches changing the game for the worst in my opinion. I'm not seeing the same variety in hits. I'm seeing the grass knocking down shots down the line that are now resulting in singles rather than doubles. I am seeing the catchers not blocking NEARLY as many pitches in the dirt as they were previously, leading to free base advances by the CPU (I use manual running). I am seeing the foul balls going foul by 2 inches again. NONE of this has to do with comeback AI so we can kill that crap right now. I said in a previous thread that I do not see any comeback code this year, this thread was entirely about patches changing things for the worse. Don't start nonsense just for the sake of starting nonsense please. I know I don't have the best history around here in terms of comeback AI discussions, but this year I specifically mentioned I don't believe there is comeback code and I stand by that. I'm not seeing it nearly as much this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
You're going to be here a while. The OP usually starts threads like these and when it doesn't go as planned he bails and eventually starts a new thread a week or so later.
I have a job. I have a 6 year old daughter. I have a girlfriend. I have child support, rent and bills to pay. I'm sorry I don't check back every 3 hours responding to every reply. Give me a break, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I wouldn't go so far as to say the patches have "ruined" the game for me but I preferred the game before the 2nd or 3rd patch which moved the game in the direction of last year's game. The devs went to great lengths to rework the infield AI and they patched some of the improvements out of the game.
Thank you. This is what I was trying to say. The patches seem to have made the game play more like last year and negated the work they did that originally made this game better.

Last edited by Padgoi; 05-15-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #63
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

The third paragraph reeks of comeback code in your original post. There's no reading comprehension regarding your posts. So you have a job, etc., pretty sure we all do, you know.

Give it a break.

You said, "I know I don't have the best history around here in terms of comeback AI discussions, but this year I specifically mentioned I don't believe there is comeback code and I stand by that. I'm not seeing it nearly as much this year."

no comeback code, but not seeing it nearly as much this year. Can't have it both ways. There is, or isn't.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #64
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
I loved this game when it first came out, but the patches have ruined it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I expect nothing more in terms of reading comprehension from you. This thread has nothing to do with comeback AI and in retrospect I shouldn't have mentioned it in the OP. This thread is about patches changing the game for the worst in my opinion. I'm not seeing the same variety in hits. I'm seeing the grass knocking down shots down the line that are now resulting in singles rather than doubles. I am seeing the catchers not blocking NEARLY as many pitches in the dirt as they were previously, leading to free base advances by the CPU (I use manual running). I am seeing the foul balls going foul by 2 inches again. NONE of this has to do with comeback AI so we can kill that crap right now. I said in a previous thread that I do not see any comeback code this year, this thread was entirely about patches changing things for the worse. Don't start nonsense just for the sake of starting nonsense please. I know I don't have the best history around here in terms of comeback AI discussions, but this year I specifically mentioned I don't believe there is comeback code and I stand by that. I'm not seeing it nearly as much this year.

Go back and read your own post before criticizing people’s reading comprehension skills.

This thread is par for the course for you and I’m not the only one who noticed what you were trying to do.

Don’t get pissy with me because your attempt to disguise the topic of this thread with a misleading title and brief mention of patch issues failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »