Home

Madden is FINALLY doing it. Time for the show to follow suit

This is a discussion on Madden is FINALLY doing it. Time for the show to follow suit within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #25
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden is FINALLY doing it. Time for the show to follow suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
I'm fine with animations the way they are right now. For the most part, they look good. I'm just saying, I wish animations would cue in specific scenarios. How many times have we all seen a ball hit deep to SS, and his reaction not be appropriate for the situation. Perhaps he double taps his throw or tries to take a couple of steps before the throw, when it should be a quick plant and rifle to first. That shouldn't be ratings based on IF the animation triggers, but rather if he's able to complete the throw to first.

However, my main gripe with fielding isn't even animations right now. I understand theres limitations. It's stuff like the below on why I've seen many switch to auto. I've posted these before. Plays like this can be game breakers for many.

Previous to MLB 17 yeah, it was needing a lot of work. However they have made large strides in terms of Humanity AI. My infielders on 18 have far better awareness of who is running down the line to first than ever before. It still needs refinement but they have drastically improved this aspect of the game.

Its night and day from MLB 16 and all the previous versions.

There are still some legacy issues no doubt, but unlike Madden SDS continually improves the game and the CPU AI where as in Madden it is freaking laughable in comparison.

I find it slightly amusing the title of this thread. EA Tiburon? The Show is on an entirely different level of realism.

Madden may look pretty, but the gameplay is destroyed by The Show and NBA2K for that matter.

And gameplay for me personally is always priority one.

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 05-26-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #26
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

If Madden is anything like the NHL series, then it's all empty promises anyways. For three years in a row EA swore up and down that they fixed goaltending, even making it a bullet point to try and sell the game. For three years in a row, it didn't matter if I had a 98 rated goalie or a 56 rated one, it was all luck if a save was made or not, all game every game.

EA cares way more about impressing their investors then serving their consumers. I think being rated as the worst company in the world by consumers several years in a row proves that. They are all showmanship and no merit.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #27
Pro

wisdom less13's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williemayshayes00
Madden 19:

Built from the ground up, Real Player Motion transforms the way you play Madden delivering game-changing control and precision on the field. Realistic character movements provide smooth, immersive animations for adaptive and believable player motion while animation variety creates authentic movement unique to positions and body types.
They've been saying this for years...

Franchise Mode Enthusiast.
Watch Me Suck at video games...
Old 05-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 8

I think almost every new feature any company touts needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Whether it's Madden, NBA2k, The Show, etc. they've all shouted about some new feature that has failed to work properly (such as morale in The Show, or 2k or The show touting "new trade logic" every year that still leads to nonsense).

I hope Madden hits on something great, but I will take a wait and see attitude.

As for The Show, plenty of stuff to work on both in gameplay in various modes.

Just off the top of my head:

bunts
balls off the pitcher.
fielding
catcher
wild pitches
Old 05-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #29
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
If Madden is anything like the NHL series, then it's all empty promises anyways. For three years in a row EA swore up and down that they fixed goaltending, even making it a bullet point to try and sell the game. For three years in a row, it didn't matter if I had a 98 rated goalie or a 56 rated one, it was all luck if a save was made or not, all game every game.

EA cares way more about impressing their investors then serving their consumers. I think being rated as the worst company in the world by consumers several years in a row proves that. They are all showmanship and no merit.

I play both Madden and the NHL series. I have fun with the games. But they are arcade like with simulation elements. They are no where near the quality for offline franchise players like The Show and 2K.

Now don’t get me wrong. Madden 18 (starting in February) is IMO the strongest entry in the series in terms of gameplay. And NHL 18 is also a fun game with expansion mode (gameplay feels almost exactly the same to me as NHL 16 which was my last version before getting 18 for $18). The games are fun.

I know some people here feel The Show is going that way (more arcade). But playing 18 every day since it dropped that could not be farther from the truth. I am also playing 2K18 again and it is a joy. Both these sports titles really do a great job for console games in replicating their sports.

Games can always improve. And visually 2K and The Show are not as refined as Madden. And again....to me that’s ok. I rather they focus on AI and gameplay as well as depth inside franchise mode. And 2K and The Show do offer the deepest franchise modes for console sports games IMO. I don’t play FIFA but I have heard great things about the depth of that series franchise mode.

I happen to think this years version of The Show is the most visually stunning version yet on a 4K TV in high framerate or enhanced visual mode mode. The parks are gorgeous, the weather effects (rain, fog, light transitioning) are stunning to me. Love it.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 8

I don't mind that Madden and NHL are more "arcadey" because I don't have the deep in depth understanding of hockey (nowhere near) that is required for simulation and I don't wish to employ the depth of knowledge needed for football. The Show is right in my wheelhouse for combining sim and me being too anal looking for realism. NBA2k, I openly admit I'm bizarrely over the top in trying to micro manage every aspect up to and including using Excelt spreadsheets to keep track of real draft pick trades, and using my own homegrown systems for free agency and progression/regression.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #31
Pro

shark547's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Madden has core gameplay issues still. The Show does not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
We must have different definitions of core gameplay. Can you keep a straight face when you say that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #32
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I play both Madden and the NHL series. I have fun with the games. But they are arcade like with simulation elements. They are no where near the quality for offline franchise players like The Show and 2K.

Now don’t get me wrong. Madden 18 (starting in February) is IMO the strongest entry in the series in terms of gameplay. And NHL 18 is also a fun game with expansion mode (gameplay feels almost exactly the same to me as NHL 16 which was my last version before getting 18 for $18). The games are fun.

I know some people here feel The Show is going that way (more arcade). But playing 18 every day since it dropped that could not be farther from the truth. I am also playing 2K18 again and it is a joy. Both these sports titles really do a great job for console games in replicating their sports.

Games can always improve. And visually 2K and The Show are not as refined as Madden. And again....to me that’s ok. I rather they focus on AI and gameplay as well as depth inside franchise mode. And 2K and The Show do offer the deepest franchise modes for console sports games IMO. I don’t play FIFA but I have heard great things about the depth of that series franchise mode.

I happen to think this years version of The Show is the most visually stunning version yet on a 4K TV in high framerate or enhanced visual mode mode. The parks are gorgeous, the weather effects (rain, fog, light transitioning) are stunning to me. Love it.
I could deal with NHL being somewhat arcade like if the sliders actually did something. It's been a while but the last time I played that game I had so many sliders maxed or mined and it STILL felt like an arcade game. One of the many reasons why I love The Show the most: the sliders actually do something. I at least have SOME power to fix what I feel is broken.

Now if only The Show were on PC and was moddable... sorry, drifting into wish list thoughts :P

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »