Home

4-Seam Fastball Movement

This is a discussion on 4-Seam Fastball Movement within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2018, 02:25 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: 4-Seam Fastball Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston
Hopefully this might help you out. https://lokeshdhakar.com/baseball-pitches-illustrated/

I highly doubt the movement and break is replicated in the game however to co-exist with the pitch type listed.

Years ago we had to use RFB (Running Fastball) to replicate better movement for a 2 Seamer.

For me I give any Japan pitcher who has a splitter I always give them the forkball. As most of them learn the forkball over seas.
The Running Fastball in years past had the OPPOSITE movement that the 2-Seam FB has.

Running fastball "ran" away from the pitching arm of the pitcher...IE for a right handed pitcher, the running fastball would tail into a left handed hitter, and the 2-Seam FB would tail away from a left handed pitcher.

In other words, for a right handed pitcher, The running fastball broke to the non pitching arm side, while a 2 seam fastball broke to the pitching arm side....
Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoller1331
I kind of wonder if SDS will ever consider implementing Pitch/FX and/or statcast to determine specific movement on any individual's pitch so that we aren't limited to the "textbook" version each pitch.

I feel like since the data is out there it would be kind of neat to take advantage of it to make each pitcher feel more unique
I'm pretty sure they take Pitch/FX data for most of their pitch repertoires. So if the movement of a pitch is classified as a 2 Seam fastball by Pitch/FX, that is what SDS assigns to that pitcher in the game. As mentioned above, their actual grip isn't used as a determining factor by SDS, such as the case with Stroman using a sinker grip but getting 2-seam movement as categorized by Pitch/FX.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
I'm pretty sure they take Pitch/FX data for most of their pitch repertoires. So if the movement of a pitch is classified as a 2 Seam fastball by Pitch/FX, that is what SDS assigns to that pitcher in the game. As mentioned above, their actual grip isn't used as a determining factor by SDS, such as the case with Stroman using a sinker grip but getting 2-seam movement as categorized by Pitch/FX.
I was thinking using that data to make each pitcher's repertoire more unique. So you see that Player A's slider has x-inches of horizontal movement and y-inches of vertical movement making it different from Player B's slider which has i-inches of horizontal and j-inches of vertical break. I felt like they may have been heading this direction when they sort of introduced varied pitch breaks on MLB 16 (which was implemented poorly resulting in some 12-6 curves to break more like screwballs).

This is definitely just a minor thing that I just think would be kind of cool so that Corey Kluber's curveball looks different from Jose Berrios's curve looks different from Jake Arrieta's curve.

Thanks Peyton. #18
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2018, 04:11 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoller1331
I was thinking using that data to make each pitcher's repertoire more unique. So you see that Player A's slider has x-inches of horizontal movement and y-inches of vertical movement making it different from Player B's slider which has i-inches of horizontal and j-inches of vertical break. I felt like they may have been heading this direction when they sort of introduced varied pitch breaks on MLB 16 (which was implemented poorly resulting in some 12-6 curves to break more like screwballs).

This is definitely just a minor thing that I just think would be kind of cool so that Corey Kluber's curveball looks different from Jose Berrios's curve looks different from Jake Arrieta's curve.
I think those 3 pitches would look different already based on their pitching animations. The animation any pitcher is assigned is the variable in the equation of how their pitches will work, and, to a lesser extent, how effective they will be overall. For example, I changed one reliever’s delivery and his ERA dropped from the high 4s to below 2. Correlation doesn’t equal causation but I think there’s something to it
Old 06-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #13
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseJoseph9119
I think those 3 pitches would look different already based on their pitching animations. The animation any pitcher is assigned is the variable in the equation of how their pitches will work, and, to a lesser extent, how effective they will be overall. For example, I changed one reliever’s delivery and his ERA dropped from the high 4s to below 2. Correlation doesn’t equal causation but I think there’s something to it
Yeah, I understand that there are enough pitch types/animations in the game to generally model every pitcher's repertoire fairly accurately, I just think since we have data like this available it would be neat for SDS to implement it. I also understand how this would barely change the game at all (we are literally talking about inches of break on any given pitch)

Thanks Peyton. #18

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »