Home

Is it just me or is the CPU offense incompetent?

This is a discussion on Is it just me or is the CPU offense incompetent? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is it just me or is the CPU offense incompetent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoid1313
Exact reason I didn’t download the patch, I’m on 1.10 still and was finding the cpu to be decent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the latest patch. I pitched on HOF and with the control slider up one from the minimum I conceded 13 runs to the Marlins over 9 innings in my last game. My feeling with MLB The Show is that you can make this game almost anything you want, especially in terms of challenge. I'm not playing on the hardest difficulty level but if I make the pitching a more difficult experience even on HOF the CPU will punish me if I make mistakes.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #34
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
My feeling with MLB The Show is that you can make this game almost anything you want, especially in terms of challenge.
You’ve just divulged the secret that is hiding in plain sight.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #35
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
My feeling with MLB The Show is that you can make this game almost anything you want, especially in terms of challenge. I'm not playing on the hardest difficulty level but if I make the pitching a more difficult experience even on HOF the CPU will punish me if I make mistakes.
It seems to have finally gotten to the point where that is true. I struggled, badly, for many years to find a happy medium. For me, the game was always either somewhat too easy, or MUCH, MUCH too difficult. No in between.

Either I would win 125 games every season, most of them by 2-5 runs.....or the CPU would just absolutely destroy me, scoring 15-20 runs a game.

However, in this year's version, I'm finally finding an appropriate level of challenge, thanks to the suggestion that I got from several people to "freeze" the variable difficulty. For me, that means on the hardest level of veteran for hitting, and on the easiest level of All Star for pitching. Then some minor slider adjustments (except for base stealing, where I have massive ones which still aren't adequate).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #36
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
You’ve just divulged the secret that is hiding in plain sight.
It's certainly stating the obvious with this game, unfortunately not every sports game is as flexible.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #37
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
It seems to have finally gotten to the point where that is true. I struggled, badly, for many years to find a happy medium. For me, the game was always either somewhat too easy, or MUCH, MUCH too difficult. No in between.

Either I would win 125 games every season, most of them by 2-5 runs.....or the CPU would just absolutely destroy me, scoring 15-20 runs a game.

However, in this year's version, I'm finally finding an appropriate level of challenge, thanks to the suggestion that I got from several people to "freeze" the variable difficulty. For me, that means on the hardest level of veteran for hitting, and on the easiest level of All Star for pitching. Then some minor slider adjustments (except for base stealing, where I have massive ones which still aren't adequate).
I think it was your tweets that I was following when I did exactly the same. I froze DD on vet for hitting, all star + for pitching and had a blast all through spring. I played around with the sliders so the cpu and my team were giving up appropriate numbers of walks, strikeouts, homers, etc. Now I've just taken the step of increasing both and am probably going to end up going through the process of adjusting sliders again. I found I was attacking the zone when I was pitching far more than I should have been because I wasn't worried about the CPU's best hitters punishing me. Having bumped up to HOF I'm finding they're hitting me all over the place. But it's all good fun.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #38
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
I think it was your tweets that I was following when I did exactly the same. I froze DD on vet for hitting, all star + for pitching and had a blast all through spring. I played around with the sliders so the cpu and my team were giving up appropriate numbers of walks, strikeouts, homers, etc. Now I've just taken the step of increasing both and am probably going to end up going through the process of adjusting sliders again. I found I was attacking the zone when I was pitching far more than I should have been because I wasn't worried about the CPU's best hitters punishing me. Having bumped up to HOF I'm finding they're hitting me all over the place. But it's all good fun.
I've never made a Tweet, so that wasn't me! But I'm glad that you're having success too.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
I play on Legend and after some slider adjustments i have seen very very realistic numbers from the CPU. The CPU is hitting the correct percentage of doubles and HR to match up with MLB percentages.

And if i take a mental break for a pitch or two, i usually pay for it. The CPU is very tough, but beatable. Their scoring play type percentages are right in line also. I give up scoring rallies of singles and doubles, as well as 2 or 3 run HRs.

Same here. If anything, I have to adjust to increase HRs or just accept it because I don't want to mess with much else.

Giving up several doubles and some triples. HR? About half as many.

Combine that with Classic pitching where that "taking a pitch off" isn't always on me, and, yeah, I wish I would only give up a HR or two and that's it lol.

My ERA might actually drop quite a bit in that case

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
You're a rare breed CB, a rare breed, indeed. I try default every year but i always have to adjust to fix some things. Straight default just doesn't do it for me on many levels (however i used your idea early on, and went default hitting with my other sliders, which i had not tried because i had already moved on, and it worked like a bute (beaut? byoot? ))

Fielder speed is really the biggest thing i have to change. Most others are at, or somewhat near, default. Just a few tweaks to default and percentages line up for me.
Same, too many things I don't like about default on any level, especially when playing Directional/Classic.

Last edited by KBLover; 07-07-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

Use quick counts. Problem is you probably never walk guys. CPU is a bastard on 3-0 and 3-1 counts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »