Home

AI Bullpen Management Logic

This is a discussion on AI Bullpen Management Logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: AI Bullpen Management Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I think the problem with the CPU leaving LR in the game too long is two fold:

1) They will not sub in a position player to pitch in a blowout

2) They will not call up a reliever or two to help give the bullpen/pitching staff a rest

If those two things were in the game it would greatly help the situation.

As it stands now, I'll sub a pitcher for them myself. I hate doing it, but its the best "band-aid" fix that I can think of right now.
In my experience of playing over 250 games in 18, the CPU will not put a starting pitcher in as a reliever now either. The logic now seems to be that if they're getting beaten badly, they just leave the long reliever in the game and let him keep pitching, no matter how badly he's doing and how little energy he has. The CPU will only burn through their entire bullpen if the game is very close, especially if you're playing in the NL and they need to pinch hit.

Long term, its an effective strategy for them, because they live to fight for another day, so to speak. Its much, much harder to get them to wear out all of their relievers early in a long series now, no matter how hard I try!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: AI Bullpen Management Logic

How do you guys handle the bullpen? I try to make sure to keep all my guys innings balanced. But I also take the approach that I'm gonna use my best pitchers in the most crucial situations and whoever gets the save doesn't matter to me. For example, game I'm playing right now, I'm trailing 4-3 in the 5th inning and the Angels have runners on 1st and 2nd and only 1 out and Mike Trout coming up. The game needs saving right there so who cares that it's only the 5th inning? Here comes Blake Treinen. 2nd pitch I roll up a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning. I wish all MLB managers did that in real life. It's the correct way to manage the game IMO.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »