Home

You Got Slurved

This is a discussion on You Got Slurved within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
You Got Slurved

This pitch might be the most under-rated,under-utilized dirtyfilthynasty pitch in Show 18. At least in my experience. Playing as Baltimore, I see a lot of the Blue Jays Robert Osuna and the Yankees Dellin Betances. The problem is, other than a couple real life replacement caliber players and some fake minor leaguers, no one else really throws it. I thought guys like Tajuan Walker, Yu Darvish, Michael Pineda and Craig Kimbrel (jeez, as an Oriole, he might be the last one I need with a slurve lol) What I'd like to do is look at brooks baseball.net and fangraph charts and turn a few more pitchers slider or curve into a slurve. The problem is I dont exactly know what I'm looking for in terms of extrapolating that data. Is there anyone here on OS that can give me a primer on just what I need to look for, or have other ideas on the matter, or can just point me in the right direction of other info I can look into? Thanks!

Edit: more to add in a bit

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2018, 03:08 AM   #2
MVP

Houston's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: You Got Slurved

Hey man this is how I do my pitch edits and I myself used brooksbaseball.net.

This is how I classify the SLURVES.

How are the pitch types even classified or what do you do to determine what a pitcher really throws?

ANSWER:

I put in each pitcher one by one on http://www.brooksbaseball.net/ I read information given for each pitch listed.

Example is all SLIDERS on my pitch edits with 86MPH and higher are classified as a SLIDER.

A SLURVE was given if the SLIDER was 85MPH and lower with sweeping across the zone mentioned or some two-plane movement mentioned.

Another example is the SINKER. This really can go either way using a 2 SEAMER or SINKER but on the game anything higher than 95MPH and you cant give the SINKER so we half to make it a 2 SEAMER.

I read the information given and if it has a lot of natural sinking action and under 95MPH I always try to give the pitcher a SINKER.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

I play as the jays and when it’s osuna time I throw the slurve almost exclusively. It’s a disgusting pitch in this game. I don’t usually put a lot of value on closing pitchers but osuna is absolutely untouchable on my team.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston
Hey man this is how I do my pitch edits and I myself used brooksbaseball.net.

This is how I classify the SLURVES.

How are the pitch types even classified or what do you do to determine what a pitcher really throws?

ANSWER:

I put in each pitcher one by one on http://www.brooksbaseball.net/ I read information given for each pitch listed.

Example is all SLIDERS on my pitch edits with 86MPH and higher are classified as a SLIDER.

A SLURVE was given if the SLIDER was 85MPH and lower with sweeping across the zone mentioned or some two-plane movement mentioned.

Another example is the SINKER. This really can go either way using a 2 SEAMER or SINKER but on the game anything higher than 95MPH and you cant give the SINKER so we half to make it a 2 SEAMER.

I read the information given and if it has a lot of natural sinking action and under 95MPH I always try to give the pitcher a SINKER.
Appreciate this. Exactly what I'm looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
I play as the jays and when it’s osuna time I throw the slurve almost exclusively. It’s a disgusting pitch in this game. I don’t usually put a lot of value on closing pitchers but osuna is absolutely untouchable on my team.
usually it Boston &/or the Yankees shooting my birds down.
but in 18, Toronto was as deadly, if not more, than either of them, with Osuna being a key cog.

A Work in Progress
Old 07-22-2018, 12:04 AM   #5
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
This pitch might be the most under-rated,under-utilized dirtyfilthynasty pitch in Show 18. At least in my experience. Playing as Baltimore, I see a lot of the Blue Jays Robert Osuna and the Yankees Dellin Betances. The problem is, other than a couple real life replacement caliber players and some fake minor leaguers, no one else really throws it. I thought guys like Tajuan Walker, Yu Darvish, Michael Pineda and Craig Kimbrel (jeez, as an Oriole, he might be the last one I need with a slurve lol) What I'd like to do is look at brooks baseball.net and fangraph charts and turn a few more pitchers slider or curve into a slurve. The problem is I dont exactly know what I'm looking for in terms of extrapolating that data. Is there anyone here on OS that can give me a primer on just what I need to look for, or have other ideas on the matter, or can just point me in the right direction of other info I can look into? Thanks!

Edit: more to add in a bit

When I do my pitch edits, I go my movement. The average slider has 3-5 inches of movement. So if a Slider has over 5 inches of horizontal or vertical movement, I go with a Slurve.

I find when playing if a Slider has a break rating of 60 or greater, it moves way too much and looks like a Curveball...
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »