Home

CPU Outfielder Routes

This is a discussion on CPU Outfielder Routes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #49
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CPU Outfielder Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I just don't like that when they play a carom, it's a dead giveaway that my ball is not going to go out.
Agreed. It is a dead giveaway.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #50
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
This is completely uncalled for man.

After your initial post, he attempted to help. I asked those seeing issues to post videos so that those of us not having the issue, or seeing it, can see what you're seeing an attempt to help.

I've played over 200 games thus far and I haven't seen an issue with inside the park homeruns (I've hit one and the cpu has one against me), nor have I seen the issues that VG has been posting about.

If people aren't seeing what you're seeing, show them what you're seeing. People have the capability to provide video of issues they are seeing, I don't understand why they don't use it.

Exactly. Like I said, I haven't seen any on 18 and that's even with baserunner speed up 1 notch from default. It's not hard to post a video.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 08-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #51
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

Here's a couple of fielding issues I just had happen to me in the same inning and to say I'm not happy is an understatement. The first one, my field never reacted to the ball. He just ran and the ball went right passed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqF-S7dqwc

The next one, again in the same inning, the ball goes right through my catcher like he's not even there and Trout scores the tying run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLXrbN3L3aI

I feel like I did nothing wrong here but I got screwed.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 AM   #52
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Here's a couple of fielding issues I just had happen to me in the same inning and to say I'm not happy is an understatement. The first one, my field never reacted to the ball. He just ran and the ball went right passed him.

The next one, again in the same inning, the ball goes right through my catcher like he's not even there and Trout scores the tying run.

Yeah that stinks. I have seen something similar before, by infielders. Its not very often, but it definitely stinks when that happens. Some may say its the route, but i think even at that route the animation should kick in. I do wish they would focus on things like that going forward. Seems like it should be an easy fix, since it usually works anyway.

With the catcher, i haven't seen that happen, but i also haven't replayed many WP's. So it's very likely it has happened and i didn't see it. It's hard to tell from the angle, but did it hit his glove? and bounce of it, through his body, toward the backstop/dugout/first base?
Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 AM   #53
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1

I'm not going to say the first one was okay, but I can explain to you why it happened, with the way the game handles things like this with its animations.

Even though it's in slow motion this looks like a pretty hard-hit ball, and that one step forward you took instead of just keeping the straight-line movement was enough for the game to not trigger a fielding animation. I've found that this can happen on hard-hit balls more frequently. If the ball was hit as hard as I think it was, there was no need to try and charge it - you would have still thrown the runner out by plenty. It's very hard to get used to just following the line the game starts a fielder on, especially on infield grounders like this - but it really does cut down a lot of plays like this if you can do it. In general, when the user starts trying to improvise off of what the game is guiding you to, things go south. That's why this kind of thing usually doesn't happen on auto fielding, or to the CPU.

I REPEAT: Regardless of anything the user does, I don't think the game handled that situation well. I'm not posting this to bash or defend - only what I know from my own experience and time with the game.

I don't have a comment on the second one because without seeing it play out live I don't like to take anything that happens at the plate - pitching/batting/catcher - based only on replay. It's the same kind of thing where if you look at bat-to-ball contact on replay and it looks unnatural - I think there's too much going on around the plate for the replay to accurately depict it.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:32 AM   #54
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
Yeah that stinks. I have seen something similar before, by infielders. Its not very often, but it definitely stinks when that happens. Some may say its the route, but i think even at that route the animation should kick in. I do wish they would focus on things like that going forward. Seems like it should be an easy fix, since it usually works anyway.

With the catcher, i haven't seen that happen, but i also haven't replayed many WP's. So it's very likely it has happened and i didn't see it. It's hard to tell from the angle, but did it hit his glove? and bounce of it, through his body, toward the backstop/dugout/first base?

It bounced in the dirt, off his glove and right through him towards the backstop far enough away for Trout to score from 3rd. It was just like he wasn't even there.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 08-09-2018, 01:36 AM   #55
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'm not going to say the first one was okay, but I can explain to you why it happened, with the way the game handles things like this with its animations.

Even though it's in slow motion this looks like a pretty hard-hit ball, and that one step forward you took instead of just keeping the straight-line movement was enough for the game to not trigger a fielding animation. I've found that this can happen on hard-hit balls more frequently. If the ball was hit as hard as I think it was, there was no need to try and charge it - you would have still thrown the runner out by plenty. It's very hard to get used to just following the line the game starts a fielder on, especially on infield grounders like this - but it really does cut down a lot of plays like this if you can do it. In general, when the user starts trying to improvise off of what the game is guiding you to, things go south. That's why this kind of thing usually doesn't happen on auto fielding, or to the CPU.

I REPEAT: Regardless of anything the user does, I don't think the game handled that situation well. I'm not posting this to bash or defend - only what I know from my own experience and time with the game.

I don't have a comment on the second one because without seeing it play out live I don't like to take anything that happens at the plate - pitching/batting/catcher - based only on replay. It's the same kind of thing where if you look at bat-to-ball contact on replay and it looks unnatural - I think there's too much going on around the plate for the replay to accurately depict it.

I would say it was about an 80/90 mph hit. Not a total rocket. The reason I took the line I did was because I was going for the double play and Trout was running and he's got good speed. So I was attempting to charge the ball instead of waiting for it to come to me so that I would still have time to turn the double play. Had I only been concerned with getting the out at 1st I wouldn't have cut it off the way I did.

I will say, that I don't have the normal issues playing balls off the wall that others do. I've learned to read them pretty well and take the right angle to it. I wish I would have recorded it because it was a thing of beauty.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #56
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

Sometimes, well, you're just unlucky, and that is what happened to me in the 9th inning and I lost 5-4. I gave up 2 doubles that looked like near identical replays. Both right down the 3rd baseline just inside the bag. Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPLjHybLxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83juKIyWC6Y

I also had a game I played several months ago with a couple of Mets bloopers in it. This is just for you Mets fans!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHaCn02RZ74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGNK0S02Qw
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »