Home

30 Team Control Free Agents

This is a discussion on 30 Team Control Free Agents within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
30 Team Control Free Agents

How do you handle free agents in 30 team control?

I am doing a 30 team control franchise with two separate file associations. One is total control with the Reds, the other is a mix of manual and auto for the computer. I control the trades so that it can be realistic. Anyway, I just ended the 2018 season and did a few sims to see where the big time free agents landed. In 5 sims here were the results:

Harper - Toronto (twice) Oakland (twice) and the Cubs when I went threw and made offers for the realistic teams.

Machado (in a surprise, the O's lead the division for most of the season so they were buyers at the deadline and I couldn't trade him or Britton)
- Dodgers (twice) Indians (twice) Phillies when I made the realistic offers.

Britton - Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox, Indians (twice)

Dozier - Washington every time.

In one sim the Dodgers had Machado, Seager, Turner, Daniel Murphy in the infield. Then signed Britton, Andrew Miller and Pedro Strop for the bullpen.

So I was wondering if anyone does the 30 team control how do you handle the free agents? Do you make offers for realistic teams? Let it play out?
I thought about just making trades if certain players end up in unrealistic places like Harper in Toronto (they're rebuilding) or Machdo in Cleveland.
But most likely I'll wait until I have some time and make the realistic offers from teams who want, need, can afford these players

Happy Franchising!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Re: 30 Team Control Free Agents

Hey...great topic.

So I do 30 team control and for all the top tier and second tier free agents...I create the storylines, look at the teams that make sense depending on location, opportunity, player morale and of course $$$$$.

So all those things are taken into account. I will have multiple teams bid as well. And then see where they land.

In my first off-season I kept Free agency on manual till the day before the last possible day...then flipped it on. Watched the offers...then went in and tweaked it.

For example in my first off-season on 17 I saw Jake Arrieta land on the Dodgers and Cutch go to the Nationals.

Very cool landing spots.

I won't let Altuve leave Houston. No way. He is a lifer with the Astros.

Harper....that will be a huge storyline for me in my second off-season (and first on 18). Will he leave Washington? Will he be dealt to the Yankees for Stanton? Will he head to the Mets? Will he go west to Arizona? So many juicy storylines to be had with that one.

In my current Yankees Year 2 trade deadline frenzy the following have been moved thus far:

Machado and Britton to the Cubs
Gerrit Cole to the Nationals
DeGroom to the Cardinals
Verlander to the Yankees
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 07-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Hey...great topic.

So I do 30 team control and for all the top tier and second tier free agents...I create the storylines, look at the teams that make sense depending on location, opportunity, player morale and of course $$$$$.

So all those things are taken into account. I will have multiple teams bid as well. And then see where they land.

In my first off-season I kept Free agency on manual till the day before the last possible day...then flipped it on. Watched the offers...then went in and tweaked it.

For example in my first off-season on 17 I saw Jake Arrieta land on the Dodgers and Cutch go to the Nationals.

Very cool landing spots.

I won't let Altuve leave Houston. No way. He is a lifer with the Astros.

Harper....that will be a huge storyline for me in my second off-season (and first on 18). Will he leave Washington? Will he be dealt to the Yankees for Stanton? Will he head to the Mets? Will he go west to Arizona? So many juicy storylines to be had with that one.

In my current Yankees Year 2 trade deadline frenzy the following have been moved thus far:

Machado and Britton to the Cubs
Gerrit Cole to the Nationals
DeGroom to the Cardinals
Verlander to the Yankees
So my understanding is say we have 10 days of Free Agency. For the frist day you will make bids on top tier FA for teams. Sim to day 9 and switch Manuel to CPU and let them throw out bids on any leftover FA?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Councilmann_Jamm
So my understanding is say we have 10 days of Free Agency. For the frist day you will make bids on top tier FA for teams. Sim to day 9 and switch Manuel to CPU and let them throw out bids on any leftover FA?
There are 5 days of negotiation with your own FA then everyone is allowed to negotiate with everyone.

I used to control all of FA myself. When I did that, I went team by team to check needs and match up with the best available FA. If only one team needed a player, I offered what they were asking. If 2+ teams were interested, I gave the same offer from each team that filled up the interest bar fully.

From there I simmed day by day and adjusted players depending on who signed where. It was fun but extremely tedious. Offseason took me about 20-30 hours to finish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

I sign guys to their new real teams, or if they re-sign IRL I'll sign them back. When teams can't afford an FA, or when there are FA who are no longer playing, I go through the teams to see who has needs at a position and lay out who is in the running for various FA at different positions. This year I used Excel to generate random numbers, next year I'll probably do dice rolls. Anyway after the roll whoever has the highest number gets the top FA at the position, then I move down the list. Likewise, during the season I'll make logical trades that mimic real life where it makes sense, but Machado is on the first place O's so it makes no sense for him to be traded. So Chris Johnson, still in the FA pool was signed by the Dodgers instead.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2018, 11:56 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

I try and keep it realistic. Create my own storylines as well. I had Harper go to the Cubs, Kuechel to Yankees, Machado to Miami(they were front runners in division somehow year before which put owners in buy mode),

Altuve, Springer, Correa will never leave Houston for me. I had McCutchen go back to Pittsburgh. Bour, Pollack and Trea Turner went to Seattle. Donaldson signed with Philly. Schwarber signed with Yankees(Short porch love for him lol), Starlin Castro with Dodgers.

I put multiple offers in on all players. Like with Harper, I had offered him contracts from teams that made sence. Washington, Yankees, Cubs. I let him decide. Machado had deals from Yankees, Miami and Philly. Kuechel had offers from Washington, Yankees and Houston. So i put the sensible offers out there and let the storyline write itself with why said player chooses where he goes

At the same time, i created my own storyline for Ohtani. After bad individual and team performances by Ohtani and The Angels, i created a storyline that he wanted out and Angels FO were thinking it mightve been a bust signing and were seeking a trade. Had Seattle empty their prospect pool i built up for Ohtani, so i could use him correctly(pitch and DH). Both sides benefitted. Will do the same in the 2020 offseason with Trout if Angels yet again miss the playoffs. Most likely Philly

Last edited by kenp86; 07-25-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenp86
I try and keep it realistic. Create my own storylines as well. I had Harper go to the Cubs, Kuechel to Yankees, Machado to Miami(they were front runners in division somehow year before which put owners in buy mode),

Altuve, Springer, Correa will never leave Houston for me. I had McCutchen go back to Pittsburgh. Bour, Pollack and Trea Turner went to Seattle. Donaldson signed with Philly. Schwarber signed with Yankees(Short porch love for him lol), Starlin Castro with Dodgers.

I put multiple offers in on all players. Like with Harper, I had offered him contracts from teams that made sence. Washington, Yankees, Cubs. I let him decide. Machado had deals from Yankees, Miami and Philly. Kuechel had offers from Washington, Yankees and Houston. So i put the sensible offers out there and let the storyline write itself with why said player chooses where he goes

At the same time, i created my own storyline for Ohtani. After bad individual and team performances by Ohtani and The Angels, i created a storyline that he wanted out and Angels FO were thinking it mightve been a bust signing and were seeking a trade. Had Seattle empty their prospect pool i built up for Ohtani, so i could use him correctly(pitch and DH). Both sides benefitted. Will do the same in the 2020 offseason with Trout if Angels yet again miss the playoffs. Most likely Philly
That's fantastic. In my '17 Marlins franchise with January 2018 rosters (Stanton on Yankees) the Yanks signed JD Martinez to a 5 year deal. It drove me nuts and I had to trade to remedy it. I try to use a mix of real life deals and completely new world once I start.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
There are 5 days of negotiation with your own FA then everyone is allowed to negotiate with everyone.

I used to control all of FA myself. When I did that, I went team by team to check needs and match up with the best available FA. If only one team needed a player, I offered what they were asking. If 2+ teams were interested, I gave the same offer from each team that filled up the interest bar fully.

From there I simmed day by day and adjusted players depending on who signed where. It was fun but extremely tedious. Offseason took me about 20-30 hours to finish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app
This is my fear. It will take way too long and after about 8 minutes I realize what a big dork I am.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »