Home

A different type of forced scripting

This is a discussion on A different type of forced scripting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: A different type of forced scripting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Alright, cool. Now explain the logic behind it? I see it used when talking about directional/zone hitting but not analog hitting. What's the difference? Why would it apply to one and not the other? How is it even a viable thing? I for one don't feel like the game just spits out of random number and that's the number of runs I'm going to score. I feel like I am in total control of the number of runs I score.
Directional: I have no control over the PCI. I only control swing timing, swing decision and I can "influence" meaning the hitter is trying to do something at the plate (stay back, turn on something, etc.).

Whether or not the PCI is in a good spot is based on a die roll that factors hitter ratings, pitcher ratings, confidence, what the pitcher gets on the "meter" (even on Classic pitcher get different kinds of releases - you just have no control over it), etc. Then the result of that (contact type, contact at all, etc.) is a factor of your timing, your influence, hitter/pitcher ratings, and randomness.

It's viable as long as your sliders and skill/strategy work together.

It's not that the game randomly determines run production. Run production is a factor of too many effectively random things (even in the real game they are, for practical purposes, random, like hit sequencing, pitch sequencing, liners at fielders, etc. physics dictates how they work and the results but players aren't able to control them to the level needed to be a repeatable skill).

Even Zone players with total control of PCI can't control everything. Baseball just isn't that kind of game, imo.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagrad03
I just had a game where I squared up good/good on 9 straight balls with hit velocity over 100 and they were all outs. That does not happen unless the game decides its going to be low scoring.

Or maybe you just had bad luck.

I've had low scoring games where I, literally, don't even hit 9 line drives and count hard hit balls on one hand.

That could happen in the real game. That's why hitting is the most ridiculous thing in sports. You literally can do everything perfect...and still fail.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #59
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Directional: I have no control over the PCI. I only control swing timing, swing decision and I can "influence" meaning the hitter is trying to do something at the plate (stay back, turn on something, etc.).

Whether or not the PCI is in a good spot is based on a die roll that factors hitter ratings, pitcher ratings, confidence, what the pitcher gets on the "meter" (even on Classic pitcher get different kinds of releases - you just have no control over it), etc. Then the result of that (contact type, contact at all, etc.) is a factor of your timing, your influence, hitter/pitcher ratings, and randomness.

It's viable as long as your sliders and skill/strategy work together.

It's not that the game randomly determines run production. Run production is a factor of too many effectively random things (even in the real game they are, for practical purposes, random, like hit sequencing, pitch sequencing, liners at fielders, etc. physics dictates how they work and the results but players aren't able to control them to the level needed to be a repeatable skill).

Even Zone players with total control of PCI can't control everything. Baseball just isn't that kind of game, imo.

How do we know the PCI is still a thing in those types of hitting? Why isn't it just everything else you mentioned at stake? I don't know. I use directional hitting and I enjoy it. I feel like I have a great deal of control over if I get a hit or not. I mean, yeah, sometimes it's frustrating to get good timing and good contact and hit a weak fly ball or something. But I think that's just that the pitch feedback isn't always correct.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 08-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
How do we know the PCI is still a thing in those types of hitting? Why isn't it just everything else you mentioned at stake? I don't know. I use directional hitting and I enjoy it. I feel like I have a great deal of control over if I get a hit or not. I mean, yeah, sometimes it's frustrating to get good timing and good contact and hit a weak fly ball or something. But I think that's just that the pitch feedback isn't always correct.
Maybe not the PCI as we know it, but there's definitely a similar system going on under the hood in directional. You can tell because the batter analysis still shows the Hitchance filter as normal, with high numbers for well squared up (but not necessarily well-timed) balls and low numbers for most fouls/misses.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 AM   #61
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Maybe not the PCI as we know it, but there's definitely a similar system going on under the hood in directional. You can tell because the batter analysis still shows the Hitchance filter as normal, with high numbers for well squared up (but not necessarily well-timed) balls and low numbers for most fouls/misses.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Agreed. There is some type of hitting mechanism there.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
How do we know the PCI is still a thing in those types of hitting?
Because it's a heavy influence in how the game determines hit trajectory, hit quality, and hit direction.

Just like in Classic, pitchers still get different kinds of releases.

Interface controls what and how much your user input can influence.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:40 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
So does this RNG dice roll thing determine who is going to win and lose with user input having no factor at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I actually think it's more like the game engine is setting up a 'theme' for you. Constraints in which you have to play, with variability, to keep the game interesting over the course of 162 game season.

I don't think it's predetermining the outcomes, but rather forcing different scenarios on you. One game you'll be bombing them but so will the CPU. Another you'll be slamming good/good on everything but have to scrape together runs.

It's not just 'that's baseball' - it's tangible, there's something there.

I just played the same game against the Marlins and restarting it after the 5th inning. Both games I had an error in the first and gave up homeruns. In one I gave up 3 in the first in another I gave up 4. Yet the couldn't score the rest of the way. I'm guessing that could be a 'dig yourself out of a hole' forced scenario.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #64
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagrad03
I actually think it's more like the game engine is setting up a 'theme' for you. Constraints in which you have to play, with variability, to keep the game interesting over the course of 162 game season.

I don't think it's predetermining the outcomes, but rather forcing different scenarios on you. One game you'll be bombing them but so will the CPU. Another you'll be slamming good/good on everything but have to scrape together runs.

It's not just 'that's baseball' - it's tangible, there's something there.

I just played the same game against the Marlins and restarting it after the 5th inning. Both games I had an error in the first and gave up homeruns. In one I gave up 3 in the first in another I gave up 4. Yet the couldn't score the rest of the way. I'm guessing that could be a 'dig yourself out of a hole' forced scenario.
So are you saying that it keeps the same "scenario" even when restarting a game? Or could that be coincidence?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »