Home

Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quirks?

Is there any info on quirks?

Do they actually mean anything or are they simply observations on the results a particular player has? Or do they boost attributes in some fashion?

I only play RTTS, btw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Quirks?

There are two kinds of Quirks:

1. Assigned by attributes
2. Assigned by SCEA based on player history

Only #2 either boosts or lowers attributes depending on the quirk, while #1 is just a reflection of what that player can already do.

An example of an attribute dictated Quirk are: Bomber, Walker, 20/20 Vision, Hitting Machine, Quick Reflexes, and others...these all are directly tied to the players attributes and simply tell you what that player is capable of. If in your RTTS or Franchise a player reaches I believe 80+ Power he will be a bomber for example, if he drops below 80 he will not be.

An example of SCEA assigned Quirks are: First Pitch Hitter, Night Player, Day Player, Dead Red, and others. These are Quirks that SCEA associated to that player based off of data they have on that player specifically. These Quirks cannot be modified or obtained, which sucks...

I wish Quirks could be edited, one reason is for being able to assign Quirks to RTTS/CAPs/Rookies. The other reason is to add Quirks to boost certain stats where it makes sense.

For example Jose Ramirez is 1st or 2nd in league in HRs, but I would not consider him a power hitter. He hits a lot of HRs, but he doesn't necessarily hit the ball as hard as Stanton or Judge. Heck you could argue JD Martinez is similar. He doesn't hit 500 ft HRs, but he hits A LOT of HRs. So for those guys it would be reasonable to have their powers in the high 70s/low 80s, but give them the Bomber quirk to indicate that they have knack for hitting HRs at a high pace despite them not being as "strong" as traditional "power hitters".

These guys will both finish with close to 50 HRs, and the only way to do that in The Show is to have power in the mid 80s - 99. However, that impacts exit-velo also which these guys don't rank high in. So again, adding a Bomber Quirk to a non-power hitter adds an extra layer of uniqueness to the player. Where not all players with the same power, contact, vision are equal. I think that is a missed opportunity that would make Quirks more important.

Keeping in line with the "knack" for doing something I think that is more what Quirks should reflect. I think there should be more Quirks like "Doubles Machine". I feel guys like lets say Miguel Andujar, who is one of the league leaders in doubles, but only has a handful of HRs just has a knack for getting doubles. He crushes mistake pitches....for doubles more often than for homers. Again, that is hard to bake into the attributes as you either have to raise his power or contact numbers, which leads to other unwanted boost in player performance.

But that is neither here nor there.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 08-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Quirks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
An example of SCEA assigned Quirks are: First Pitch Hitter, Night Player, Day Player, Dead Red, and others. These are Quirks that SCEA associated to that player based off of data they have on that player specifically.
Players entering your franchise through the draft can also have these quirks.

I'm not sure how/if they can be randomly assigned when carrying over a franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »