Home

Drafting and System movement

This is a discussion on Drafting and System movement within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Drafting and System movement

Hello everyone.

I figured since there is a thread on all things franchise-related except for drafting and moving throughout the system, unless i didn't see it. I thought I would throw a couple of questions out there and get some thoughts on drafting strategy.

1) Do you ever draft players who are close to their potential for instance they are like 70/80? But they are no 24 or 25.

2) Do you scout for quantity or specific players?

3) Draft by needed or talent?

4) I am trying to figure out when is the best time to move my players out of A to AA and then AA to AAA.

I would love to get the perspectives from the MLB guru's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Rookie

FSanchez12's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Drafting and System movement

Well for me, I always draft for talent, I never draft for a need. Chances are, whoever I pick isn't going to be on the big league club in the next few years. I always try and pick a player that is 18-21 with a high end on the potential side. Sometimes I miss. sometimes I hit. I got very lucky in my 2017 draft with my Pirates.

Depending on how you play (you could always save the day before the draft, sim the draft and make mental/written notes on high potential players), you just gotta be lucky. The 1st/2nd rounds are when you're going to get the best shot to pick someone you truly scouted 100%, the rest is a crapshoot (similar to real life).
Old 08-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSanchez12
Well for me, I always draft for talent, I never draft for a need. Chances are, whoever I pick isn't going to be on the big league club in the next few years. I always try and pick a player that is 18-21 with a high end on the potential side. Sometimes I miss. sometimes I hit. I got very lucky in my 2017 draft with my Pirates.

Depending on how you play (you could always save the day before the draft, sim the draft and make mental/written notes on high potential players), you just gotta be lucky. The 1st/2nd rounds are when you're going to get the best shot to pick someone you truly scouted 100%, the rest is a crapshoot (similar to real life).

I pick 18-21 based on potential. But I also try to make sure it's a player at a position I'm weak at. But I don't pick a 70 potential over an 80 potential just because it's a position of need. I can always make trades later.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 08-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have been clearer on the 70/80. I meant they are already at 70 and their potential is 80. I never draft a 70 person.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb4life10
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have been clearer on the 70/80. I meant they are already at 70 and their potential is 80. I never draft a 70 person.

I highly doubt you're going to find a 70 OVR player who's an 80 POT and in that 18-21 age range. Those guys don't exist, at least I've never seen it. The only way to get high OVR guys is to draft guys that are a bit over but have a lower POT. Something like 75 OVR/70 POT who's 24 years old.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

I have scouting set to auto. Ive tried to manually scout and i find that i get better drafts when its set to auto lol

I draft 80 potential players until theyre non left them move on down the potential scale. If im in the range of the 75 and 70 potentials and the 70 overall guy has better attributes, ill take him over the 75 guy
Old 08-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
Rookie

bryan_nelson88's Arena

OVR: 0

Drafting wise, I always choose best player available and then a need. More often than not it's actually been both in one pick (I'm the Orioles and we've had a top 5 pick three years in a row now).

I have a system in place for my minor league guys: if they are 26 and older I have them in AAA (unless I switch their positions, then I move them down a level. 18 and 19 year olds are an automatic single-A for me, unless their OVR is high enough to where I'll call them up to Double-A during the middle of the season.

For scouting, I only scout two areas. I always have two International scouts and then it depends on what the top scouts look like. This most recent franchise I've had two international scouts and two central scouts, but in all of my other franchises I've had two international and two east. I then have them all scout the same position groups at the same time. After that I will scout one player per two scouts, so both international guys will scout my designated player (two days) and my east scouts will scout the same east player (two days). I have found that I am able to scout a TON of players doing this.

Hope any of this helps
Old 08-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
I highly doubt you're going to find a 70 OVR player who's an 80 POT and in that 18-21 age range. Those guys don't exist, at least I've never seen it. The only way to get high OVR guys is to draft guys that are a bit over but have a lower POT. Something like 75 OVR/70 POT who's 24 years old.
There are some. My #1 pick in my first draft was 74 OVR, 97 POT.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »