Home

Player progression.

This is a discussion on Player progression. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #17
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Player progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
But the overall trend is for young and low service time to climb and old and a lot of service time to drop.

And that's fine. I don't think performance should drive development at all. You don't play well, then get better (that's putting the cart before the horse). Or somehow hitting HR holds of the physiological effects of aging, etc. I just wish it was less predictable of a trend and when the trend starts and things like training mattered more.
Age should always be a factor but service time shouldn't. The regression system is too predictable. There is the rare guy who falls off a cliff, but there are NO guys like Bartolo Colon who are ageless.

And yes I too am only talking about players with potentials at or above their current OVR.

I wouldn't mind a slow, predictable regression for some players, heck, maybe even the majority, but when a 27 year old is putting up record breaking numbers with an A potential and their OVR is going down, I have issues.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #18
Rookie

nflman2033's Arena

OVR: 1

Regression has been a major problem since the PS3 days and they dont seem to care, so sadly we are stuck with it. But yes there is no doubt that progression is bad and needs to be fixed.

I basically sign my guys til they are 30 and then let them go.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
MVP

I won't pretend to understand the progression/regression dynamics although it seems to be a combination of potential, age and performance.

One thing they need to fix is stamina for starting pitchers never progressing. It is a waste of time to draft any starting pitcher who doesn't have the highest stamina rating unless you want to convert him to the bullpen.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Age should always be a factor but service time shouldn't. The regression system is too predictable. There is the rare guy who falls off a cliff, but there are NO guys like Bartolo Colon who are ageless.
I agree - older players definitely get the shaft in development.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a slow, predictable regression for some players, heck, maybe even the majority, but when a 27 year old is putting up record breaking numbers with an A potential and their OVR is going down, I have issues.
I don't think performance should ever be a factor. Why should a record breaking performance mean he doesn't have an early peak to his career? What if he gets a severe injury? Shouldn't matter and automatically no negative impacts because he's got record breaking pace?

Performance isn't a factor in the real game and I don't think it should be a factor in a player development model. Players don't play good/bad and then get better/worse after the good/bad season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
One thing they need to fix is stamina for starting pitchers never progressing. It is a waste of time to draft any starting pitcher who doesn't have the highest stamina rating unless you want to convert him to the bullpen.

They do for sure, and I think return ALL pitcher progression/declining. It's silly the pitchers have the same movement and velocity and never gain stamina in their entire careers.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #21
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
The fact that they are legends may be a factor, because I had a year where Clayton Kershaw won the Cy Young and had an ERA just above 2 and his OVR dropped 10 points.

Mike Trout hit 63 home runs and came second in RBIs this year DESPITE missing a large part of the year due to injury and dropped 4 points in every attribute.

Not a single person with over 11 years of service time progressed in my entire MLB. Not a single one. All of them regressed. But Josh Donaldson progressed just fine at 35.

You don’t happen to have a YouTube video/tutorial about how you deal with progression do you? I need to read back over your formula to make sure I understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #22
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I don't think performance should ever be a factor. Why should a record breaking performance mean he doesn't have an early peak to his career? What if he gets a severe injury? Shouldn't matter and automatically no negative impacts because he's got record breaking pace?

Performance isn't a factor in the real game and I don't think it should be a factor in a player development model. Players don't play good/bad and then get better/worse after the good/bad season.
I don't have an opinion on the chicken and egg scenario that is performance and progression in real life, though if forced to choose I'd side with you on this one.

However, within the context of a video game a performance based progression system has GOT to be better than what we currently have. Don't get me wrong, it's still not ideal due to a snowball effect, but we'd have far more dynamic and interesting progression and regression curves than we do now.

Just to put this all in context, my #1 wishlist item is for a revamped progression/regression system that includes an editable progression curve and a new attribute: Curve Accuracy. Players with curve accuracy at 99 would follow their curve regardless of performance, and players with a curve accuracy of 0 would be entirely performance based. You could even have two attributes for curve accuracy, one for pre-max potential and one for post.

Either that or copy the NHL games system for progression/regression. There are a lot of things way worse about that game then the show but the progression/regression system is far superior.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
Rookie

nflman2033's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I won't pretend to understand the progression/regression dynamics although it seems to be a combination of potential, age and performance.

Have you used training to specifically improve stamina.

However I will say in defense of the game starting pitchers are pitching a lot less innings than ever before IRL, so this doesn't bother me.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #24
Rookie

Does anyone know anything about training?

I've heard that it is virtually useless but does specifically selecting no training do anything?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »