Home

4 Seam FB, Generated Count, Lack of Errors

This is a discussion on 4 Seam FB, Generated Count, Lack of Errors within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
4 Seam FB, Generated Count, Lack of Errors

I have loved the 'Show' series since discovering it in 2004. However, my desire to play the game has been significantly diminished with three issues...

I must mention that I use adjusted All Star sliders with a roster that I have changed ALL pitchers and hitters clutch ratings to '0'...

- Lack of errors when playing the game;
There just never seems to be a healthy balance of errors. In fact, other than a noticeable differentiation in arm strength, it seems that EVERY fielder has Ozzie Smith/Junior Griffey range in the field. And don't even get me started on all of the Greg Maddux/Houdini fielding pitchers. The catchers range has been a bit more realistic the past two iterations of the show. But in the past, we have all heard the Vasgersion "super human reaction" commentary after the plays where you hit a ball that the catcher fields before your hitter gets out of the box and tags the hitter out...

- Generated Counts;
I absolutely loved that they added this feature but noticed that all too often when you have a higher rated hitter at the plate, he has two strikes on him. The lower rated batters, however, seem to come up in hitters counts most of the time.

I remember a thread posted a few years ago discussing how all of the catchers in the game were beasts at the plate. I believe that the reason for that is because a majority of the catchers in baseball nowadays are in fact poor/light hitters. So when playing with generated counts on the Show series, they are getting hitters counts most of the time. I have had so many games where I did not have a hit until the third inning...where either the light hitting catcher, OR, the pitcher would collect my first hit.

Now, I should tell you that how I play my games is that I hit for BOTH teams, and I do see this generated count issue for BOTH teams...

My last of the three issues is my BIGGEST issue...

The tailing/sliding/cutting 4-seam fastball;

I have posted about this in the past and the most common reply that I got about this issue was that other people have not noticed it and that I "must have much better eye sight then everyone else..."

I am very fortunate to indeed have very good eye sight for my age but my son and my friends have all noticed this movement issue with the 4-seam fastball in this series. The issue is that in the majority of the time that this pitch is thrown in the game, it will have some type of movement. Sliding, cutting and even the occasional tailing effect is very visible. It is quite frustrating when you come up to the plate with a great hitter (with some kind of two strike count... of course) and are facing a pitcher that does not have a cutter only to watch his 4-seamer start outside of the zone and then "cut" over the edge at the last millisecond. We have come to call the pitch "the 4-seam cutter." Now it also will occur on 4-seammers that are approaching in the hitting zone and than sliding outside of the zone which leads to frustrating swings at pitches that moved outside of the zone or poor contact. These are in fact 4-seamers as after the pitch the display gives the 4-seam FB and velocity...

I am an avid baseball fan, a high school coach, I have run pitching clinics for little league and high school, I have pitched for twenty five years and I have never witnessed a 4-seam fast ball move side-to-side... well perhaps when I was pitching in my later years when I could only throw 60-65 mph and there was a cross wind moving my low velocity 4-seamer (LOL)...

I actually stopped in the middle of a game to submit this post and I have NEVER done that before. The sad thing is, I will now go back and finish the game...

If anyone has ever noticed the aforementioned issues, PLEASE reply as I just can't believe that my friends and I are the only ones that have noticed these issues...particularly the generated count and 4-seam fastball issue...

Last edited by yount19; 08-22-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add info
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 4 Seam FB, Generated Count, Lack of Errors

I don't tinker with sliders too much and maybe I'm an idiot but what is the point of setting the clutch to 0?
Old 08-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
MVP

Bartolo Colon's Arena

I’m pretty sure real life baseball only averages 0.5 errors per game, so the show is probably close to that.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by yount19
- Lack of errors when playing the game;
There just never seems to be a healthy balance of errors. In fact, other than a noticeable differentiation in arm strength, it seems that EVERY fielder has Ozzie Smith/Junior Griffey range in the field. And don't even get me started on all of the Greg Maddux/Houdini fielding pitchers.
I posted earlier when this game was released how the pitchers weren't fielding ANYTHING hit to the right or left of them. It was something I had noticed a couple years ago and it appeared to be back. They'd put their glove down on the wrong side of where the ball was hit and it would go straight thru to CF. I'd groan every time I saw this as it was so obvious. I contacted a dev about this and it appears in a patch it was corrected. By no means are they super fielders, in the least and balls still get past them into CF, but they acted on it and improved it greatly (from release day).
I've seen them even boot balls hit right at them, so I'm not sure I agree with this at all.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime98
I don't tinker with sliders too much and maybe I'm an idiot but what is the point of setting the clutch to 0?

I read somewhere last year that the pitcher's clutch rating was the reason for all of the super fielding plays in tight ballgames down the stretch (the pitcher's clutch rating gave a boost to the fielders attributes.) So to try out a recommendation by the poster of that thread, I changed the two clutch pitching attributes to '0' on every pitcher. I then decided to do it to every batter to prevent potential advantages for the hitters. It did work pretty well in my opinion (other then the closers blowing a lot of leads but that is prevalent in the game without the clutch adjustments)...

Regardless, I have seen these issues on default rosters as well so I don't think that the '0' clutch changes made a difference in respect to the mentioned issues...

I am still playing The Show 17' a majority of the time so maybe with all of the patching on 18' the issues are diminished a bit. I do have 18' as well but there was just something about it that turned me back to 17'... I loved the new and improved ball physics but the hitting seemed really wonky compared to last years game... to me anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yount19
I read somewhere last year that the pitcher's clutch rating was the reason for all of the super fielding plays in tight ballgames down the stretch (the pitcher's clutch rating gave a boost to the fielders attributes.) So to try out a recommendation by the poster of that thread, I changed the two clutch pitching attributes to '0' on every pitcher. I then decided to do it to every batter to prevent potential advantages for the hitters. It did work pretty well in my opinion (other then the closers blowing a lot of leads but that is prevalent in the game without the clutch adjustments)...

you purposely created a comeback code?
scoundrel. :grrr:

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »