Home

Any differentiation?

This is a discussion on Any differentiation? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Any differentiation?

First and foremost, I love The Show. It’s the best sports game ever. With that being said, I might lose my mind the next time I see a mid-level shortstop (yes, I know they’re all MLB shortstops so they’re, “good”), go into the hole to his right, Jeter-jump from left field and throw an absolutely PERFECT ball to first base for the out.

It’s WAAAAAY too commonplace. Do any of you even really notice a big difference from fielders? This is an area I’d absolutely love to see improved upon moving forward, those crazy, gold glove plays are awesome, but not every game, and especially not from every fielder in the game. Those throws need to be off the mark more often.

Additionally, one of the reasons that it seems the user is always leading the league (or close to it) in grounding into double plays is because of the fact that every second baseman pulls the amazing whirly-spin throw on balls hit far to his left when nine times out of ten in real life the second baseman is going to first for the out instead of going for two. That needs to be toned down as well.

Essentially, I’d just love to see more differentiation between good and bad fielders. Do you guys see it at all? Maybe it’s just me. I will say that (although it may be coincidence) I’ve noticed that Schwarber’s throws from left field are rarely on the mark while Heyward typically throws missiles from right, on the money to the plate, which I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Any differentiation?

This year I see a bigger gap between elite defenders to average to poor.

I can tell a difference between say Patrick Wisdom playing 3rd in my franchise (90 reaction 88 field 86 arm strength 84 arm accuracy) vs that of say Marwin Gonzalez (70ish reaction 68 field 60ish arm strength 60ish arm accuracy)

I can tell a difference between Harrison Bader an elite defender vs Randal Grichuk who is average to slightly above average.

As for double plays I’m actually ranked in top 12 of fewest double plays hit into thus far this year. My last season I was in top 10 for fewest (I think I was 7th)

So yeah my experience has been there is a distinct difference in gold glovers vs average vs poor fielders.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

The fielding rating is too generic to get the differentiation you are looking for. Until they break down different attributes related to specific positions the effect will be minimal unfortunately. There was supposed to be specific animations tied to players based on their fielding rating but the over the top ones still show up for the lesser rated fielders.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
The fielding rating is too generic to get the differentiation you are looking for. Until they break down different attributes related to specific positions the effect will be minimal unfortunately. There was supposed to be specific animations tied to players based on their fielding rating but the over the top ones still show up for the lesser rated fielders.

That’s exactly what needs to happen. The Jeter-jump needs to be triggered only for elite defenders.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 09-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

At default? No. With sliders though, you can get some pretty good player differentiation on the field. Turn down fielder run speeds and reactions, and turn up the errors. You have to crank them pretty high, but you see a lot more "minor" errors with the sliders cranked up. Balls dribbling out of gloves, slightly offline throws, stuff like that.

At my current settings I definitely see the difference between a good defender and a bad one, both on my team and the CPU, and I'm currently considering cranking the error sliders even higher.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »