Home

The fielding in this game is garbage

This is a discussion on The fielding in this game is garbage within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
The fielding in this game is garbage

I have had many errors when the outfielder gets stuck in some SCEA locked animation since they want to remove the ability of me doing anything on defense and the ball falls in front of the outfielder and bounces behind him. This happens every game or the locked animation of my outfielder running to the wall on the foul line side and in slow motion.

Why can't the devs allow the user to control the defender the whole time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2018, 01:03 AM   #2
Pro

Re: The fielding in this game is garbage

XxGamerXx,

You can try Player Lock but you will quickly realize that fielding will result in the same issues you are describing. Can only hope that MLB The Show 19 will improve on playing defense from a Player Lock perspective.

The only improvement received since MLB The Show 14 has been the introduction of the fielding cone while this was helpful to track a fly ball. It was the only noticeable user controlled defensive improvement in 5 years of playing the game on the Playstation 4 platform so don't get those hopes up.

If you play above 162 (Plus) games using the above method you can clearly see the game become insanely repetitive unfortunately. After playing 5 years of PS4 releases of the game. You will slowly start to realize that its the way the game is programmed that does not allow logic for your fielder to be involved in the play once it's passed what feels like a counter or timed sequence.

Examples of this when you are player locked on defense in my case as a SS.

• Incoming throw from outfielder you run to the second base bag and no tag will be applied to the runner sliding in. But a animation will kick in most noticeably the slow jog into second base. Result no programming logic so timed play ends!

• Trying to cover the bag when (If) a pitcher throws too second base to throw out lead runner. Result controls don't work, Pitcher will throw the ball to the spot where you are standing even if you are not covering second base! No programming logic so timed play ends.

• Ball is hit into the outfield as a short stop in the correct fielding position. Outfielder will throw passed (user locked SS) as the cut off man as if you were never involved in the play. Result no programming logic so timed play ends and possible out crosses home plate or runner jogs into second or third. Not at all depended on outfielder or infielder ratings to throw the ball to the (user controlled) cut off man.

• Defensive shifts! Timed action if you do not move with in the given time limit your controlled player in this case a SS will not be involved in the play. Other infielders will stand next too or on top of your player! Result No programming logic or awareness so timed play ends.

4 points listed above all basic fundamental elements of a baseball game missing for 5 years. So don't get those hopes to high for MLB The Show 19!

5 years of defensive frustration as a SS! One defensive improvement (Tracking Cone) within that time frame. Maybe it has something to do with balancing online play or not enough percentage of users play defense so its discarded.

Well it is the only Baseball game on the Market!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Do you by chance have a video or videos of the outfielder getting locked into an animation that allows the ball to fall in front of him and then bounce over his head? I'm not sure that I've seen what you're describing.

As for the animation of getting pulled into the wall, one thing that helps (it doesn't eliminate but it helps) is letting up on the L-stick as you get to the ball. Reason being is that your player carries a momentum so even after you re-center the L-stick to "stop" the fielder, he will still take another 1-2 full steps and then "shuffle" as he's slowing down to stop/turn direction. It is difficult to get used to and remember to do this, but when I've done it, it helps prevent my fielder from "suctioning" into the wall.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Do you by chance have a video or videos of the outfielder getting locked into an animation that allows the ball to fall in front of him and then bounce over his head? I'm not sure that I've seen what you're describing.

As for the animation of getting pulled into the wall, one thing that helps (it doesn't eliminate but it helps) is letting up on the L-stick as you get to the ball. Reason being is that your player carries a momentum so even after you re-center the L-stick to "stop" the fielder, he will still take another 1-2 full steps and then "shuffle" as he's slowing down to stop/turn direction. It is difficult to get used to and remember to do this, but when I've done it, it helps prevent my fielder from "suctioning" into the wall.
I do not unfortunately but its can of corn pop ups and I am gliding in with my outfielder and all of a sudden when am near the landing spot of the ball which I do not use any fielding icons or assist it starts to move my fielder in quick sand in the rings around where the ball is suppose to land and I lose control of getting to the spot and catching it. It is very frustrating because this was not the case in previous versions.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGamerXx
I do not unfortunately but its can of corn pop ups and I am gliding in with my outfielder and all of a sudden when am near the landing spot of the ball which I do not use any fielding icons or assist it starts to move my fielder in quick sand in the rings around where the ball is suppose to land and I lose control of getting to the spot and catching it. It is very frustrating because this was not the case in previous versions.
I use the fielding aid marker (baseball icon that shrinks as the ball gets closer to the ground) and I haven't had any issues with my fielders stopping from catching the ball.

Sorry man, I'm not sure how to help.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I use the fielding aid marker (baseball icon that shrinks as the ball gets closer to the ground) and I haven't had any issues with my fielders stopping from catching the ball.

Sorry man, I'm not sure how to help.
Its cool, I know using icons to help find the spot would make it easier but I like to not have things like that for immersion purposes but it is frustrating as the issue is not that i do not know where it will land but the quicksand movement in the area where the ball will land makes it hard to get to the spot I want and the ball lands and it just upsetting. I have given up 3 inside the park homers due to the quicksand animation around the landing spot of the ball.

Besides that I am enjoying the game
Old 10-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Rookie

BeatArmy's Arena

OVR: 1

I've gotta agree with the OP. Fielding is by far the worst part of this game. Fielders jogging after balls, the "circle around the ball, glove on ground" animation that is always worth at least one extra base, pre-loaded throws that laze towards the intended target, etc.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Hitting and pitching is definitely the meat and potatoes of the Show. Fielding and baserunning arent what brings me back each March. If all 4 facets of the game were equally great, I bet I'd lose my job. And my house. And the little woman would r-u-n-n-o-f-t . The dog probably too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »