Home

When to trade star player..

This is a discussion on When to trade star player.. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
When to trade star player..

Hi guys,

So I am pretty new to Baseball in general (only really started following this year) and to learn more have been playing MLB 18.

I've started with the Minnesota Twins as they have some nice pieces.

At start of season I gutted them of there overpaid low rated players so could save money for the future and was expecting average to poor season, but then build in season 2.

Anyway, heading into July I am suprisingly leading the Divsion by 3 games.

I don't think this form is sustainable with the current pitching crew, so I am not sure if I should trade Dozier.

He's in final year and will want big cash in FA and I can get some great prospects in a trade.

Would a team trade one of there star players knowing the team willl be better off in next 2/3 years, or hold on to him in hope of playoffs?

This is area of baseball I'm not sure

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Roncatto; 10-21-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: When to trade star player..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncatto
Hi guys,

So I am pretty new to Baseball in general (only really started following this year) and to learn more have been playing MLB 18.

I've started with the Minnesota Twins as they have some nice pieces.

At start of season I gutted them of there overpaid low rated players so could save money for the future and was expecting average to poor season, but then build in season 2.

Anyway, heading into July I am suprisingly leading the Divsion by 3 games.

I don't think this form is sustainable with the current pitching crew, so I am not sure if I should trade Dozier.

He's in final year and will want big cash in FA and I can get some great prospects in a trade.

Would a team trade one of there star players knowing the team willl be better off in next 2/3 years, or hold on to him in hope of playoffs?

This is area of baseball I'm not sure

Thanks in advance
Typically in baseball if you are leading the division or have a strong chance for the wild card spot you'd be a buyer not a seller. So trading Dozier wouldn't make sense unless you were overstocked at the position and you thought Dozier would get you a pitcher you need.

In this circumstance you'd look at your prospects and what you'd need for your team, look at players who are in their final year (so they won't be your concern in the off season unless you really want him as an FA) and figure who you'd be willing to part with to get the missing pieces. The non-waiver trade deadline is July 31, so you could wait and see if the Twins form is holding then make the call on a trade.

Having said all that it is your game and your franchise so you can do what you wish. if you want to sell, looking at FA-to-be for future stars would be the way to go, usually trading such players in July. I don't know if they have a trade block anymore or if the CPU offers trades well but ideally that would be a way to gauge what teams are willing to give you for a player, or initiate a trade offer you think is fair.

But typically in early July to start selling when leading the division may result in your fan base checking out where to buy pitchforks and torches.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

When to trade away:
When you are 50 games back, and its just June.
When you are a small budget club and you have a 90 overall player but nobody else over 75. Thats your quickest way to getmore prospect.
When you are the (god forbid) Miami Marlins

A Work in Progress
Old 10-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
When you are the (god forbid) Miami Marlins
Willing to pay more to move a statue, than to keep star players...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »