Home

MLB 19: Anybody else feel this is the make/break year?

This is a discussion on MLB 19: Anybody else feel this is the make/break year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #41
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB 19: Anybody else feel this is the make/break year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2734
Just wanted to give you some love for a well executed Austin Powers quote. Bravo sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Although why I put Michael Myers instead of Mike Myers, lol. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Didn't minimize any concern's other than the talking point as if this game needs a big change, it plays baseball very well and I did say it needs some improvements but not on the scale of major or overhaul.
Oh, so now you're minimizing my concerns?

There are people with legitimate concerns about the gameplay (hitting, fielding, animations), but I think a lot of us grumblers are just mad (not mad, but disappointed) that there has been no real depth added to franchise mode in far too long. If you compare how real life baseball operates in terms of front offices, deal-making, financials, stats, how players are valued etc etc, this game is still stuck in the dark ages. The AI is comically bad at simulating this. Coupled with removing modes that people liked, these things have really poisoned the water with respect to the devs, this game, and gamers who've been fans of it for a while.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 PM   #42
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

OVR: 0

Cleaned out an old cabinet recently and found The Show 09. Gave it a spin and I was shocked how similar it played and looked to The Show 18 on my PS4 Pro/4K HDR TV setup. Main menu screens were also much more efficient than the mess we have to navigate through these days. I'm thinking of picking up an old version of the game to rediscover why I loved the series at one point. Any suggestions? I'd prefer something a bit more modern than 09.

As for 19, at the very least I'm hoping for a few basic features to return (solo booth, a true full broadcast option, etc) and some new basic features to finally be implemented (rotating IL schedules ). A complete animations overhaul is probably asking too much but it's desperately needed; the current one is obviously a carryover from the PS3 days and it looks hopelessly out of place when combined with other visual aspects that have moved forward on the PS4. And while many want a ballpark editor, I just want a uniform editor that can be used outside of special interest modes. I know they say they can't do that because the uniform files are so big but to be honest the uniforms don't look that great. I'd prefer more basic unis if it meant I could customize them.

A total overhaul of fielding would also be welcome. The game simply does not capture the joy of catching and throwing a baseball. 18's fielding mechanics can actually be infuriating and were the main reason I stopped playing for a few months this season.

Who am I kidding, they'll just keep hyping DD. I wonder if we'll have to wait for the PS5 for the series to get a meaningful revamp? Or is even that in doubt at this point?
Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Arbuckle
Cleaned out an old cabinet recently and found The Show 09. Gave it a spin and I was shocked how similar it played and looked to The Show 18 on my PS4 Pro/4K HDR TV setup. Main menu screens were also much more efficient than the mess we have to navigate through these days. I'm thinking of picking up an old version of the game to rediscover why I loved the series at one point. Any suggestions? I'd prefer something a bit more modern than 09.

As for 19, at the very least I'm hoping for a few basic features to return (solo booth, a true full broadcast option, etc) and some new basic features to finally be implemented (rotating IL schedules ). A complete animations overhaul is probably asking too much but it's desperately needed; the current one is obviously a carryover from the PS3 days and it looks hopelessly out of place when combined with other visual aspects that have moved forward on the PS4. And while many want a ballpark editor, I just want a uniform editor that can be used outside of special interest modes. I know they say they can't do that because the uniform files are so big but to be honest the uniforms don't look that great. I'd prefer more basic unis if it meant I could customize them.

A total overhaul of fielding would also be welcome. The game simply does not capture the joy of catching and throwing a baseball. 18's fielding mechanics can actually be infuriating and were the main reason I stopped playing for a few months this season.

Who am I kidding, they'll just keep hyping DD. I wonder if we'll have to wait for the PS5 for the series to get a meaningful revamp? Or is even that in doubt at this point?
I've been saying this since last year and people ridiculed me. The Show 18 compared to 09 simply isn't what we would expect to see from a game ten years newer on a more powerful console. They've completely focused their attention on DD and microtransactions and it's obvious. The AI in my opinion actually plays poorer nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #44
Rookie

All I know is come the PS5 and when we see that trailer EVERYONE who was a “break” this year would be riiiiight back in lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #45
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
The Show was a pre-order purchase for me from 2008-2016. I loved the game, played it like crazy.

I felt the game started to become stale a tad as 2017 didn't excite me so I didn't pre-order it. After seeing some initial impressions on the forums, I bought it on day-1 and played it a decent amount before it hit the shelf by the time summer came as it just didn't have replay value to me.

Last year, I waited a bit and bought it in the first week but after playing it about 50 hours...I just got too frustrated with hitting and the lack of features in franchise mode.

Fast forward now to 2019. What will they do to make me feel like this is a must buy? This is the first ever that I'm truly not interested in the buying the game unless they make marked improvements with core features and core gameplay. Hitting CONTINUES to be an issue and I just have not had fun hitting - I think the devs see this and its why they are constantly updating feedback, mechanics, etc...but that's one item. Franchise mode, player models, player attributes, the list goes on where I think it's become stale.

So is it just me? Anyone else feel like 2019 is a make/break year for the Show?

First off, the hitting is what you make of it. Took me a while to get the settings all straightened out but I love the hitting on The Show 18 and the ball physics associated with it. A slicer down the line now looks simply amazing.

People keep talking about player models and I think The Show has by far the best player models of any sports game. The look and move so much more natural than Madden for example. Watching guys run in Madden is extremely painful because they all look like they're trying to run with a peg leg. It's so not natural. Also the amount of detail you get with the player models in The Show is unmatched by any other sports game, at least the ones I've played. The only one that even comes close is NHL 19. Madden gives you very little in the way of creating players and making them look good.

In fact, the folks that work on Madden should be downright embarrassed by how little effort they put into their player models and how you can't adjust anything about the way a player's head and face looks. All you get is a handful of generic heads and faces and they all look downright awful. Looks like a prison lineup.

I'm right there with you when it comes to franchise mode. There should be way more options as well as expanded rosters. I'd love to see some kind of realignment feature implemented where you can choose how many divisions you want and line them up the way you want and then choose the playoff format you want. I'd also love for them to give you a schedule editor for future seasons. Not just that, but give us the option of how many games we want per season and if we want inter league play or not. Give us the option of having a balanced or unbalanced schedule. All those options should be pretty simple to put into the game. I get fed up with them saying that MLB is blocking them from doing certain things when other MLB games in years past had a lot of these options in them.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #46
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I remember years ago when Madden moved to the XBox 360 how upset player were that EA completely re-worked everything and basically made an entirely new football game. Madden 06 on XBox 360 was bare-bones because, essentially it was a brand-new game that had a relatively short development time. Tons of people, especially here on OS, were wondering why they didn't just keep their existing engine/game and make improvements to it. Well fast-forward to The Show and that's exactly what we have. They had a solid base that is unquestionably the best baseball game I've ever played. Each year it's been essentially the same game with some tweaks, which is exactly what people were calling for back when Madden was so terrible.

So is a completely re-worked game really what we want in The Show? I for one do not. Of course, being an offline franchise guy, I get super frustrated with the fact that franchise mode is basically untouched year, after, year, after year, after year. But when it comes to wanting SDS to do something completely different... no thanks. Unless is noticeably better than what we have now.

My favorite Maddens have always been the PS2 versions. The PS3 versions are beyond awful I absolutely hated them and didn't buy but one or two of those. PS4 has been better but still not anywhere near the standard of PS2.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 12-20-2018, 12:34 AM   #47
Rookie

thekidisback's Arena

AHH!! I missed the closed alpha. I got an invite. Just turned on my PS4 and saw that I had a message for the invite. It never alerted my phone like I have it set up to do. It's downloading now. I'll play whatever I can. I missed out on 18 because I am still playing 17 but I hope I can add some feedback for 19.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #48
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRickyRun24
All I know is come the PS5 and when we see that trailer EVERYONE who was a “break” this year would be riiiiight back in lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Still not sure if I’ll be skipping 19 but I doubt I’ll buy the first PS5 edition regardless. Don’t play enough games to pay release date prices for systems and it usually takes a while for developers to figure systems out anyhow. Pretty sure I waited for 15 to jump to PS4 for example. And I’m even less inclined to be an early adopter next cycle after upgrading to the Pro this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »