Home

Is there anything that would make you skip MLB The Show 19?

This is a discussion on Is there anything that would make you skip MLB The Show 19? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
MVP

Bartolo Colon's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is there anything that would make you skip MLB The Show 19?

I’ll be buying it. If they ever they ever removed RTTS, like how they randomly remove some modes, then I wouldn’t get it.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm planning on buying it, as always. But if there aren't significant improvements to franchise mode I may just wait until the price drops.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
Pro

Yes!

Base Running Animations
• The same base running animations that have not been changed for the last 5 years! This is a terrible eye sore and oversight as they always mention we have added X number amount of animations each year! I know they said that they use a spread sheet or something but how does this get missed each year!?

As a small example try playing a 162 game season with player lock or regular mode and watching your player run back to the base each time with the same repeated animation! Regardless of who is on base!

I could not complete the season because of it! It disgust me at this point! I can detail a list but I am sure nothing will be done about it in 2019!

These need to be changed for:

Active Runner
Trailing Runner
Runner Held On
Runner Attempting To Steal

And MUCH MUCH MORE! Turn on a playoff game for reference! And these animation should have variables attached to them e.g. Heavy Guy should not Lead Off like a light weight guy and even different light weight guys should have various animations! Currently it has been cookie cutter for the last 5 years!

Fluid Defense and Fielding

I have been waiting for a dynamic CPU defense that would adjust to what was happening on the field! A small example of this would be a ball hit to the gap CPU fielder tracks ball but also tracks your player locked player on the field allowing yourself to be in the best position to cut off the ball and make a play on the field.

That type of scenario described above has never happened in a Player Lock or RTTS experience and should be a fundamental defense logic plugged into the game moons ago!

Context High Five Rewarding Animations

What does that mean! Small example key sacrifice bunt or key play high five in the dugout or team interaction! We have all seen the cheering animations in MLB 18 when you get a hit! But thats it!

If they can have context reward animations to not be scripted you know like the 360 spin when a pitcher strikes someone out! But I feel this is a overall game problem after playing for many years! So they will most likely be scripted in the same way!

There are only high five animations when you hit your first home run and a regular home run! Something needs to be done this year!

Game Winning Celebrations
I have a feeling these will remain untouched as well! SMH!

Actual Cap Player Audio For Progression

This was a beautiful idea introduced in last years Twitch stream but did not completely work for CAP players. It would be great if it were more detailed and tracked more commentary about your CAP player over time! This was pale in comparison to a actual MLB player.

This is a short list but definitely some of the things that come to the top as need Urgency to be updated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
Yes!

Base Running Animations
• The same base running animations that have not been changed for the last 5 years! This is a terrible eye sore and oversight as they always mention we have added X number amount of animations each year! I know they said that they use a spread sheet or something but how does this get missed each year!?

As a small example try playing a 162 game season with player lock or regular mode and watching your player run back to the base each time with the same repeated animation! Regardless of who is on base!

I could not complete the season because of it! It disgust me at this point! I can detail a list but I am sure nothing will be done about it in 2019!

These need to be changed for:

Active Runner
Trailing Runner
Runner Held On
Runner Attempting To Steal

And MUCH MUCH MORE! Turn on a playoff game for reference! And these animation should have variables attached to them e.g. Heavy Guy should not Lead Off like a light weight guy and even different light weight guys should have various animations! Currently it has been cookie cutter for the last 5 years!

Fluid Defense and Fielding

I have been waiting for a dynamic CPU defense that would adjust to what was happening on the field! A small example of this would be a ball hit to the gap CPU fielder tracks ball but also tracks your player locked player on the field allowing yourself to be in the best position to cut off the ball and make a play on the field.

That type of scenario described above has never happened in a Player Lock or RTTS experience and should be a fundamental defense logic plugged into the game moons ago!

Context High Five Rewarding Animations

What does that mean! Small example key sacrifice bunt or key play high five in the dugout or team interaction! We have all seen the cheering animations in MLB 18 when you get a hit! But thats it!

If they can have context reward animations to not be scripted you know like the 360 spin when a pitcher strikes someone out! But I feel this is a overall game problem after playing for many years! So they will most likely be scripted in the same way!

There are only high five animations when you hit your first home run and a regular home run! Something needs to be done this year!

Game Winning Celebrations
I have a feeling these will remain untouched as well! SMH!

Actual Cap Player Audio For Progression

This was a beautiful idea introduced in last years Twitch stream but did not completely work for CAP players. It would be great if it were more detailed and tracked more commentary about your CAP player over time! This was pale in comparison to a actual MLB player.

This is a short list but definitely some of the things that come to the top as need Urgency to be updated!

There is something a lot of people clamoring for more more more on the animations front....but then get bummed out on fielding not being fluid enough.

You can't have both. You just can't.

I played MVP 2005 for 5 straight years on the PS2 until I finally leaped to the PS3 and MLB The Show 2009.

I went through a major adjustment in terms of fielding.

Defense on MVP 2005 was fantastic. Why? Well it did not look nearly as beautiful as MLBTS 2009, but man was it highly responsive.

I got so frustrated with the clunky animations based defense I eventually switched to auto fielding and manual throwing on 2009 and enjoyed the beauty of smooth animation based fielding and letting player ratings determine if they make the play (I do all the throwing though).

Again if you want ultra responsive fielding.....you have to sacrifice animations.

I am not a game developer, but I do know that is massive factor and why sports games today seem not as responsive as they did back on the PS2 days.

But I will take today's sports games in a NY minute over the PS2 games. They blow them away in every which way. But the small sacrifice was less user input for a better more life like looking game.

Pick your poison.

In terms of the threads question,

I am at that inflection point on the PS4 with sports games. I am of the belief they are maxed out in terms of AI and yes even gameplay.

I feel the The Show 17 felt like the first next gen Show title we had been waiting for.....and 18 just really took it to a much higher level.

I am so in love with 18. It plays an amazing game of console baseball. Color me skeptical, but I am simply of the opinion (until proven otherwise) that gameplay is as good as it could get right now. Can it be tuned a little more? Yeah. But nothing groundbreaking is going to happen IMO. Heck AI logic in terms of team building was really improved on 18. Trades logic is far better.

That brings us to franchise. I would love to see some nice additions in terms of depth like everyone else. If I see that gameplay does not regress and franchise is given some much over due TLC at some point.....I will own 19.

But for the first time I am saying it is not a day one purchase for me. I am that immersed in 18 and all the franchises and rosters I have right now. I don't feel the urge....at all.

Time will tell.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-07-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #13
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Yes.......................................

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

If Plant hadnt already written it, I would have ... to the Show:
When mountains crumble to the sea
there will still be you and me

Thank you.

But I did waver in my faith last spring though I'm back in the fold now.

A Work in Progress
Old 01-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
Pro

TerryP's Arena

OVR: 10

Nada. Great game year in year out. Would love to see the return of season mode though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #16
Rookie

Frostball's Arena

Like armor said above it may not be a day 1 purchase and like others said I may wait until a price drop if they do not do something to franchise mode. I have plenty of franchises to keep me busy on 18 if need be

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »