Home

Can you have silky smooth gameplay on 4k and HDR setting..YES

This is a discussion on Can you have silky smooth gameplay on 4k and HDR setting..YES within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #17
Rookie

ralphus8's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Can you have silky smooth gameplay on 4k and HDR setting..YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well, it's these two bits that lead me to believe we need a little more scientific analysis on this. If you don't know what frame interpolation is, then it gets a little difficult to judge the merits on which you speak regarding the information you've posted about.

To help out a little, frame interpolation is where your television creates frames between the actual frames that the image displays. It processes what the next frame will be with what frame was before it, and inserts it right in the middle of them. That's why there will always be at least 1/60th of a second of input lag when enabling something like this. Different companies call this different things though, like TruMotion, Auto Motion Plus, Motion Judder Canceller... basically, it's likely something with the word "motion" in it. Maybe not, though.

I have a hard time believing that it mimics/replicates natural 60 FPS, though. They always come with pitfalls of some sort. However, if it comes with the trade-off of 4K and HDR, to some it just might be worth it. In that case, it doesn't make this thread pointless, but I think there needs to be a little more advised direction before somebody just jumps out and unnecessarily buys this game or a TV because of your post.
Quoted for emphasis -- this is the only way OP is perceiving higher frame rate. I have a 2017 Sony A1E 4K OLED. Playing The Show on its sharpest setting is a a slideshow. Even playing in 1440p isn't much higher than 30 FPS, if at all.

I believe the setting on my TV is called either CineMotion or RealityControl -- I turn that crap off because I can't stand the soap opera effect when watching media.

Last edited by ralphus8; 03-25-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
Has either of you played the game on a PS4 Pro on the Samsung QN49Q60RAFXZA Flat 49'' QLED 4K Q60 Series (2019) or Samsung QN49Q6F Flat 49” QLED 4K UHD 6 Series Smart TV 2018?
Shoot, you know what? I think I played it on the Samsung QN49Q60RAFXZB Flat 49'' QLED 4K Q60 Series (2019) television. I left the QN49Q60RAFXZA in my other pants.

Quote:
Well...I have. So I CAN have an opinion that it plays beautifully, smoothly and photorealistically with HDR and sharpest setting on my tv. My point was if you are not achieving this result then perhaps you ought to look at your tv.
I don't doubt that it plays beautifully, probably much more so than my television. What matters regarding perceived framerate, however, is your television's refresh rate. This particular TV happens to be able to display 120Hz, which often means that out of the box it is forcing that refresh rate. This "frame interpolation" thing that I keep mentioning is likely an enabled feature that you happen to be using. This is why you see smoothness in your game. I mentioned this on the first line of the first response post in this thread, yet you continually dismiss this. It's not a knock at all, it's just what it is.

The upside to using this is a perceived increase in framerate. The two biggest downsides, as I mentioned before, are occasional choppiness in said framerate (also the soap opera effect, which I'll mention in a bit) and input lag.

Here is a perfect example. The other day I filmed a former softball player of mine hitting a home run, and captured it in slow-motion. I decided to go super slow-motion though by halving the speed, which means it doubles (duplicates) every frame. My rendering software also has a feature called Optical Flow, however, where it smartly attempts to blend two frames together and create smooth motion. The created effect that appears as a result of this is like 60 FPS to your 30 FPS.

Now, you may notice that although the player appears significantly smoother, the ball in fact does not appear much smoother, nor do some faster parts of the barrel of the bat on the swing. This is because there are some items that get a little jumbled because either the motion is too fast or in too complex of an environment that it simply cannot guess well enough what happens in between. The swing, on the other hand, looks significantly improved... but with this inconsistency given the ball's "choppiness," I'm not as much of a fan of this as I would be with a locked framerate. What I just said was an opinion. Others, on the other hand, will gladly take the jump in framerate at the expense of some hitches in between. It all depends on the individual.

The other thing with this that often bugs people is it creates what is called a "soap opera effect," because those frames in between are some blend of the previous two frames which often means a more blurred frame. This seamless motion is too unnatural for certain people to look at, and even a 30 FPS game upconverted to 60 FPS with this effect and no hitches will not be comparable to the same game running at a native 60 FPS. Particulate motion is the reason I still own a plasma screen instead of any of the new television sets, including OLED's. Anyway, some (by opinion alone) would desire the game's natural 30 FPS framerate.

This effect is what the majority of televisions that are capable of operating at 120Hz or 240Hz are able to do, provided the respective company's inherent algorithm that produces it. Your television happens to be able to do this, and when the feature is enabled it can help smooth the motion (and to one's discretion, they may choose to use it or not). The other aforementioned drawback could be input lag, but since you have game mode enabled you are likely helping remediate that a little bit.

Case in point, if you happen to disable whatever smooth motion is occurring from the television's end and play in 60Hz instead of 120Hz, you will have the same framerate as anybody else would. How much it bothers you, or how much you are willing to take the hit to get a 4K-HDR experience, is up to the user and their opinion on the matter. The fact is however that it will be running at 30 FPS if you do that, and this is what most people notice when playing.

Even if they decided to run their television's smoothing feature, they may or may not desire the effect as well as any possible introduced input lag along the way. If this is mentioned in the thread, it then makes the thread worthwhile. This isn't new information for most people, but it may be for some. This is the part you need to integrate in your post, and not just "This TV works for some reason, buy it!"

I have a thread on how the DarbeeVision Darblet heavily benefited my Show experience, but alongside it I provide specifications, video evidence, potential drawbacks for some individuals (like you can't play in 4K, for example), and my opinion as to why I feel it helps me. It's a bit more substantiated. I think people are just asking you to provide a bit more educated substance, and I'm trying to elaborate on that for you in this very post.

Quote:
This is not rocket science guys. I simply have a PS4 pro and these tvs...nothing more. So it is pretty simple. As I said, the original post was not directed at you "tech wiz;" it was directed to those who perhaps (like you) claim you can't get smooth game play on "sharpest" setting. It is that simple!
What is "sharpest setting," by the way? Just curious what you mean by that. With Sharpness set to 100? With the Dynamic/Vivid preset on the television ("torch mode")? Professional calibration? I'm not sure what this meant.

And you're right, it's not rocket science... but it is science. Samsung didn't magically crack some anomaly from 60Hz motion that no other television company in the world was able to do. If I had $50 to put down, I would say that your television is running in 120Hz from whatever motion name they provide with that TV, and that you are pleased with the result (combined with the 4K and HDR). Many are, and that's what could give this thread merit. You will find many to disagree with it, and that is okay too.

Quote:
Blzer...was post 6940 opinion or fact (posted just a couple days ago) https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2049726769
I'll save that discussion for that thread, but what I said were the biggest ways to mitigate burn-in on plasma screens and OLED's. The reason is because of its technology: they use phosphors, and the aging/heating of them per pixel will differentiate depending on the content that you watch. Wearing them more evenly and in a cooler (temperature-wise) manner in their infancy helps avoid these issues by a significant margin. It's like stretching and jogging before doing sprints instead of sprinting right out of the gate.

Anyway, I hope this post was also slightly useful here!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 09-01-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
Has either of you played the game on a PS4 Pro on the Samsung QN49Q60RAFXZA Flat 49'' QLED 4K Q60 Series (2019) or Samsung QN49Q6F Flat 49” QLED 4K UHD 6 Series Smart TV 2018? Well...I have. So I CAN have an opinion that it plays beautifully, smoothly and photorealistically with HDR and sharpest setting on my tv. My point was if you are not achieving this result then perhaps you ought to look at your tv. You can search 4k in my history and you will see that I have complained about it on an old tv. See for example post 55..https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2048926835

This is not rocket science guys. I simply have a PS4 pro and these tvs...nothing more. So it is pretty simple. As I said, the original post was not directed at you "tech wiz;" it was directed to those who perhaps (like you) claim you can't get smooth game play on "sharpest" setting. It is that simple!

BTW..XxGamer..are posts 22 and 25 opinion or fact (posted just a couple days ago) https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2049724951

Blzer...was post 6940 opinion or fact (posted just a couple days ago) https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2049726769

We can play the silly game if you would like. Every tv manufacturer says its tv is better than the other. But guess what? They still get to make that claim because it is a subjective opinion. You seem to have missed the part where I stated it was my opinion. Check this forum...there are many opinions in here. For those on the fence about 4k, I hope I have provided you with some useful OPINION!

My post on Sekiro are my opinions based on FACT...Digital Foundry said it has frame pacing issues and when it dips from one amount to another that much it is not smooth. It can be fine for you but when you play at locked 60fps its a huge difference.

Your tv anaology is not an opinon. It is not plausible since TV's do not have anything to do with the crap FPS in 4k mode in the show. It might not bother you but it has zero to do with your tv
Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Shoot, you know what? I think I played it on the Samsung QN49Q60RAFXZB Flat 49'' QLED 4K Q60 Series (2019) television. I left the QN49Q60RAFXZA in my other pants.

I don't doubt that it plays beautifully, probably much more so than my television. What matters regarding perceived framerate, however, is your television's refresh rate. This particular TV happens to be able to display 120Hz, which often means that out of the box it is forcing that refresh rate. This "frame interpolation" thing that I keep mentioning is likely an enabled feature that you happen to be using. This is why you see smoothness in your game. I mentioned this on the first line of the first response post in this thread, yet you continually dismiss this. It's not a knock at all, it's just what it is.

The upside to using this is a perceived increase in framerate. The two biggest downsides, as I mentioned before, are occasional choppiness in said framerate (also the soap opera effect, which I'll mention in a bit)

Here is a perfect example. The other day I filmed a former softball player of mine hitting a home run, and captured it in slow-motion. I decided to go super slow-motion though by halving the speed, which means it doubles (duplicates) every frame. My rendering software also has a feature called Optical Flow, however, where it smartly attempts to blend two frames together and create smooth motion. The created effect that appears as a result of this is like 60 FPS to your 30 FPS.

Now, you may notice that although the player appears significantly smoother, the ball in fact does not appear much smoother, nor do some faster parts of the barrel of the bat on the swing. This is because there are some items that get a little jumbled because either the motion is too fast or in too complex of an environment that it simply cannot guess well enough what happens in between. The swing, on the other hand, looks significantly improved... but with this inconsistency given the ball's "choppiness," I'm not as much of a fan of this as I would be with a locked framerate. What I just said was an opinion. Others, on the other hand, will gladly take the jump in framerate at the expense of some hitches in between. It all depends on the individual.

The other thing with this that often bugs people is it creates what is called a "soap opera effect," because those frames in between are some blend of the previous two frames which often means a more blurred frame. This seamless motion is too unnatural for certain people to look at, and even a 30 FPS game upconverted to 60 FPS with this effect and no hitches will not be comparable to the same game running at a native 60 FPS. Particulate motion is the reason I still own a plasma screen instead of any of the new television sets, including OLED's. Anyway, some (by opinion alone) would desire the game's natural 30 FPS framerate.

This effect is what the majority of televisions that are capable of operating at 120Hz or 240Hz are able to do, provided the respective company's inherent algorithm that produces it. Your television happens to be able to do this, and when the feature is enabled it can help smooth the motion (and to one's discretion, they may choose to use it or not). The other aforementioned drawback could be input lag, but since you have game mode enabled you are likely helping remediate that a little bit.

Case in point, if you happen to disable whatever smooth motion is occurring from the television's end and play in 60Hz instead of 120Hz, you will have the same framerate as anybody else would. How much it bothers you, or how much you are willing to take the hit to get a 4K-HDR experience, is up to the user and their opinion on the matter. The fact is however that it will be running at 30 FPS if you do that, and this is what most people notice when playing.

Even if they decided to run their television's smoothing feature, they may or may not desire the effect as well as any possible introduced input lag along the way. If this is mentioned in the thread, it then makes the thread worthwhile. This isn't new information for most people, but it may be for some. This is the part you need to integrate in your post, and not just "This TV works for some reason, buy it!"

I have a thread on how the DarbeeVision Darblet heavily benefited my Show experience, but alongside it I provide specifications, video evidence, potential drawbacks for some individuals (like you can't play in 4K, for example), and my opinion as to why I feel it helps me. It's a bit more substantiated. I think people are just asking you to provide a bit more educated substance, and I'm trying to elaborate on that for you in this very post.

What is "sharpest setting," by the way? Just curious what you mean by that. With Sharpness set to 100? With the Dynamic/Vivid preset on the television ("torch mode")? Professional calibration? I'm not sure what this meant.

And you're right, it's not rocket science... but it is science. Samsung didn't magically crack some anomaly from 60Hz motion that no other television company in the world was able to do. If I had $50 to put down, I would say that your television is running in 120Hz from whatever motion name they provide with that TV, and that you are pleased with the result (combined with the 4K and HDR). Many are, and that's what could give this thread merit. You will find many to disagree with it, and that is okay too.

I'll save that discussion for that thread, but what I said were the biggest ways to mitigate burn-in on plasma screens and OLED's. The reason is because of its technology: they use phosphors, and the aging/heating of them per pixel will differentiate depending on the content that you watch. Wearing them more evenly and in a cooler (temperature-wise) manner in their infancy helps avoid these issues by a significant margin. It's like stretching and jogging before doing sprints instead of sprinting right out of the gate.

Anyway, I hope this post was also slightly useful here!
I have zero problem with your post, and it was actually interesting to read. Again, I am no expert in this area. I am just relying on my naked eyes are years of experience playing this game on many tvs and playstations.

When I said "sharpest," I was referring to the renamed 4k mode in the game.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

I have a samsung 65 inch 2018 qled tv. I don’t have the show 19 yet so I can’t speak on it. The show 18 simply runs in either 4K(using the checkerboarding technique) at 30fps or 1080 60fps in performance mode. It’s a personal preference. The game is clearly smoother and suffers from less input lag in the 1080 performance mode. I personally prefer the 60 FPS but the 4K mode isn’t unplayable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #22
Rookie

JahCreations's Arena

OVR: 2

Just picked up mlb 19 at gamestop early release. Im so bummed they still have not added hdr adjustment sliders like so many other games have. Hdr just looks very dull and dark on my screen and imo looks better with it off. But most hdr games like assassins creed odyssey for example has a great hdr brightness tool so you can tweak it based off your tvs hdr settings/brightness for the best picture.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #23
Pro

vertman's Arena

I play this game and all games for that matter with my TV in game mode( Samsung MU 6300) not a top of the line Samsung by any means but with this Tv in game mode you cannot have HDR enabled. Game mode cuts down on the lag and last years game ran pretty smooth this way but when I tried to play it with HDR enabled it was choppy. I am perfectly happy playing in game mode, looks pretty good to me with some tinkering of some settings, by the way I an on an OG PS4 also.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #24
Rookie

Bacong's Arena

I expected to stay in balanced mode but it actually plays decently in 4K. Not 60 FPS, but very playable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »