Home

HDR on or Off?

This is a discussion on HDR on or Off? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 AM   #97
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: HDR on or Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisac
Went thru this thread last night and a gentleman with the Beavers logo posted to switch my PS4 Pro over to 1080and than try switching game over to faster.

I did the 1080p thing and used balance and the game now plays flawless!

Not 1 time in 9innings did I get any type of framerate issue-

Whoever you are- Thank You!

It was me...glad it helped!

It does seem to vary from ballpark to ballpark, so hopefully you continue to see good results.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 AM   #98
Rookie

JasonIsGod's Arena

OVR: 0

Contrast should be maxed out for HDR content.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:28 AM   #99
Pro

Herschie's Arena

Off. HDR looks terrible on my Samsung! Even if I adjust it for The Show, then it throws everything off for Madden, FIFA, or Call of Duty. But I tell you, it looks fantastic without HDR.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #100
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

I have 2018's TCL 55" tv and I have no problems also maybe the lowest input lag of any tv brand in the world... I think it is under .20 I will back this company for the rest of my life... love this tv...
Old 04-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #101
Rookie

Just got the game yesterday. I thought HDR looked amazing last year but so far it looks washed out on my Sony 900e. Played a day game/clear skies with HDR off and it looks incredible. Like others have said HDR is a hit or miss depending on the developer I guess. Looks terrible on red dead redemption but amazing on Spider-Man and Horizon imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #102
MVP

OVR: 14

HDR doesn't automatically mean "bright POP WOW". It just means wider dynamic range is capable, like a container to work with. This is both for luminance (darkest dark and brightest bright) and color gamut (wider band of colors to work with). The developer can use the entire range or not based on their artistic intent.

Now, ignoring a TV's capability for a second, the above can result in a much more realistic and natural picture, but we are so used to the "gamey" pop of video game development since everything is more condensed.

On top of that, a lot of TV's are marketed as HDR but doesn't mean they do it well. Your TV still needs to be able to display 1000nits and deep blacks, often in same scene. Edgelit TVs struggle with this, and if you have a FALD, then you need a decent amount of dimming zones as well to get that contrast of a high dynamic range. If not, then the picture can look dim or washed out because it's beyond the true capability of the TV.

OLEDs have the advantage of perfect black but need aggressive tone mapping to compensate for the inability to produce high level nits. In a dark room no problem though since it's relative.

But when I read "HDR Off looks better", I'm usually inclined to believe that it's preference due to being used to a certain look (similar how people prefer Vivid torch mode settings in store), or something is wrong with a setting, or the TV is incapable. So in that case, of course Off would likely look better. If it's the first case, I suggest trying it for a coupl days to get used to it. Or compensate with color settings instead of turning off HDR.

Last edited by ParisB; 04-04-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #103
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotter
As of now I much prefer HDR OFF. I have a Samsung KS8000 and everytime I've tried enabling HDR within The Show the colors look too...white/bright. It looks like a videogame whereas HDR off looks closer to real life.

Anyone with a Samsung KS8000 have any good settings that make HDR look good?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I have that TV. PM you my settings later.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #104
Rookie

motivation03's Arena

OVR: 1
HDR on or Off?

I don’t have the best tv with a Samsung MU61, and it’s HDR isn’t true HDR, it’s HDR+. Most ppl will leave that off. However, I’ve tested all scenarios and it looks best with the tv in game mode with HDR+ on in the game. Other settings:

Contrast - 100
Sharpness- 50
Color- 60
Contrast Enhancer- High
Gamma- ST.2084
Color Space- Native

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »