Home

HDR on or Off?

This is a discussion on HDR on or Off? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #49
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: HDR on or Off?

I set Dynamic Contrast to low and it does make HD content look better. You could see blacks being crushed with it on high but it looks just right on low.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #50
Rookie

Twinkie12's Arena

OVR: 0

HDR on for me.

I'm on a TCL 55" 4K. It's the best purchase I have ever made. Almost zero input lag and The Show running 4K and HDR looks beautiful and plays silky smooth.

When I got it last year, I thought it looked dull when I turned HDR on, but after a while I got used to it. It looks much more realistic and less "gamey." And the lighting is noticeably better. Not sure how it looks on other TV's but I recommend giving it a few games and then going back and comparing.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie12
HDR on for me.

I'm on a TCL 55" 4K. It's the best purchase I have ever made. Almost zero input lag and The Show running 4K and HDR looks beautiful and plays silky smooth.

When I got it last year, I thought it looked dull when I turned HDR on, but after a while I got used to it. It looks much more realistic and less "gamey." And the lighting is noticeably better. Not sure how it looks on other TV's but I recommend giving it a few games and then going back and comparing.
i dont have ps4 pro.

on a regular ps4, if you play with HDR on vs off will you notice a difference? or because regular ps4 isn't 4k ready, it won't really matter much?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2019, 11:46 AM   #52
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie12
HDR on for me.

I have a 65" TCL with the FALD (hull array local dimming) which makes HDR look great on movies. If you turn on game mode to get the least lag for games I think it turns of the local dimming feature which kills most of the HDR mojo.....right? I know viewing a game in HDR looks great with Local dimming as the blacks are deep black and the brighter areas are bright for a great contrast but if I enable game mode the entire backlight seems to go to "middle" setting that brings the blacks back up to a standard LED TV level and the brights come down to a more neutral "meh" setting. At least so far.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #53
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
I have a 65" TCL with the FALD (hull array local dimming) which makes HDR look great on movies. If you turn on game mode to get the least lag for games I think it turns of the local dimming feature which kills most of the HDR mojo.....right? I know viewing a game in HDR looks great with Local dimming as the blacks are deep black and the brighter areas are bright for a great contrast but if I enable game mode the entire backlight seems to go to "middle" setting that brings the blacks back up to a standard LED TV level and the brights come down to a more neutral "meh" setting. At least so far.
I have the TCL P605 and the R617 and local dimming can been used in game mode. What model you have?
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 03-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #54
MVP

icicle22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalBoyle14
I have the TCL P605 and the R617 and local dimming can been used in game mode. What model you have?
R615 which is just the R617 but with just an IR remote from Best Buy. I realize that you can "enable" the Local Dimming option in the menu but if you look closely it doesn't appear to do anything when in game mode. A black screen is pure black but when in game mode it looks like a dark grey. Toggling through the Local Dimming options seems to do nothing on mine....but if I go out of game mode Local Dimming options seem to take a a black screen from pure black all the way up to deep grey....so it seems it's not working in game mode. Can you check this on yours?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #55
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
R615 which is just the R617 but with just an IR remote from Best Buy. I realize that you can "enable" the Local Dimming option in the menu but if you look closely it doesn't appear to do anything when in game mode. A black screen is pure black but when in game mode it looks like a dark grey. Toggling through the Local Dimming options seems to do nothing on mine....but if I go out of game mode Local Dimming options seem to take a a black screen from pure black all the way up to deep grey....so it seems it's not working in game mode. Can you check this on yours?
I have the R617 and can confirm this. The Local Dimming is nowhere as effective with Game mode on. I ended up just turning it off for my PS4 input.

Last edited by jeffy777; 03-29-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #56
MVP

icicle22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
I have the R617 and can confirm this. The Local Dimming is nowhere as effective with Game mode on. I ended up just turning it off for my PS4 input.
Thanks. My guess is that the TV has to analyze the image to determine what areas need to be brightly illuminated or dimmed and that introduces too much lag for game mode. Still wish it did work because that is what make the TCL approach some of the deep black levels of an OLED. Without that local dimming it looks like any other LED. No way you can play the Show with the 100ms or so latency local dimming adds (or whatever additional processing is outside of game mode).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »