Home

Why Retro mode is awesome.

This is a discussion on Why Retro mode is awesome. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #1
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10
Why Retro mode is awesome.

I rented the game this year because I wanted to see how much has changed before buying. And while I like how fluid the hitting has become, I spent more time on retro mode because I just didn’t have a lot of time to play the game. But I really love retro mode and here’s why...

- Aesthetically pleasing. Everything looks amazing from the retro mode camera. You get to see the full set of uniforms, gear, batting stances, and the created players or legends look way better because you just see them from that one angle, and their stances are spot on.

- way more action. You get to field more balls, and hit more balls.

- games don’t take forever. You can play a game relatively quick, and the time between pitches is almost non existent. Everything is very fast paced. User vs cpu to actually a lot of fun.

-nostalgia. They really did redo the old baseball games perfectly. I love the music too. Just makes the game flow a lot better.

Just a quick FYI, the only thing I hate about retro mode is the cheesy change ups that are impossible to judge from that camera angle. Luckily, the cpu never throws them. With HDR on, the game really pops on retro mode.
IMG_6278.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by sva91; 04-15-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Why Retro mode is awesome.

retro mode been pretty good last 3 years, maybe next year we'll get a retro DD mode

A Work in Progress
Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

I've skipped retro mode the last few years, probably only played it once. But my daughter is 6 now and started playing tee ball this year, was able to set retro mode to auto field/throw and she's had a blast playing against me. Now I just wish the default controls I use weren't so wonky. Throwing and running are a pain
Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Rookie

BlueSkies77's Arena

OVR: 0

I don’t know why I’m horrible at retro mode. Can’t pitch worth a damn, CPU always hits homers off me.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

I would really appreciate a tutorial on how to pitch or any tips for how to throw the various pitches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
Rookie

Seltaeb9091's Arena

OVR: 2

It seems like the CPU always tees off on me as well, even on Rookie. I also agree with p00p1 (there's a sentence I'd never thought I'd say), the controls are terrible. If they gave you an option for two button NES-style controls, I'd actually play it again. Using X for swing and advance runners is pretty poor control mapping. That said, I can't fault them for trying something new, it just needs better execution.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies77
I don’t know why I’m horrible at retro mode. Can’t pitch worth a damn, CPU always hits homers off me.

You just have to paint the corners or Jam them. I used to get tees off on, then I focused and cut their hits/runs in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »